DRIP account type?

scijriley
scijriley Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have several investment accounts where the account type is DRIP. I'd like to create a new one, but I can't seem to find an option to create a new account with that account type, the closest I can find is a brokerage account. Did Quicken eliminate using the DRIP account type? Or is there a trick to this that I have not found? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, there never was a DRIP account type. A regular Brokerage account will do just fine.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting that the financial industry even coined that phrase "DRIP account". I guess it just a phrase for an account where they took away the ability for the customer to decide. In a normal brokerage account, you get to decide on a security basis if it is DRIP or not.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • scijriley
    scijriley Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Thank you for the responses. There must have been a DRIP account type at some point because I definitely have accounts set with that type, but they are accounts I setup over ten years ago. But I'll just use the brokerage account type going forward.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked the Q2010 Official Quicken Guide book and it lists the standard brokerage account as the account type to select for a DRIP.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It was kind of the opposite. The investor chose to open the DRIP account. In the days of steep commissions, it was cheaper than using a broker. The corporation issuing the stock administered the account with no brokerage or commissions involved.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel

I would love to see a screen shot showing the account info for one of your DRIP accounts. I never knew such a thing existed in Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe somene like @splasher who has Q2013 could check to see if DRIP is mentioned or shown in the account creation screens?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

DRIP was not a term I was familiar with, but I found that I had been doing it for my whole investing life. Being a buy/hold/reinvest investor has been my motto so far.

I looked thru the in program Help in QW2013 and found no reference to DRIP or anything that sounded like it. The online help was no help since it points to Intuit servers of that time which obviously aren't still in place.

If I get a chance later, I'll see if I can get QW2008 installed in a VM and look there, but don't hold your breath waiting.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I have found over time that the "old Quicken" tends to get features it never had as one's memory fades. 🤣

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited November 2023

@splasher

DRIP was not a term I was familiar with, but I found that I had been doing it for my whole investing life. Being a buy/hold/reinvest investor has been my motto so far.

DRIP is actually not a way of investing but rather a specific type of account administered by a corporation to allow individuals to reinvest the company's stock dividends at low or no cost.

I am also a buy-and-hold investor, and recently encountered an issue with that methodology. When I needed to sell some securities to raise cash, my capital gains were so huge that my tax burden this year will be sky high. It might have been better to dollar cost average out of some positions and into others over time.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I installed QW2008 (all the way to R9) and can't find anything in it that refers to DRIP. I chased it all the way thru from creating an account and then adding some stock in case it was buried in that process.

Somebody else can do QW2004.

@Rocket J Squirrel I know where you are at the the huge gain stock. I've got some MSFT sitting on a 950% gain. Luckily I don't have any requirement/need to sell it at the moment.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.