MANY THINGS WRONG WITH QUICKEN- BUT NO ONE LISTENS TO ME

Options

I have been using Quicken for my family for 20+ years. 7 years ago, i began working for a Family Office, with 20+ entities (all different types), and Quicken is the software we use. I feel that my use of the program is EXTENSIVE- hundreds of categories, tax items, investments, downloads to financial institutions, reporting, assets, liabilities, cost basis, CPA tax reporting. you name it.

I have accumulated an extensive list of issues that could be improved upon, and some really frustrating problems that I'm guessing not very many people know about. I have reached out in writing to Quicken with requests to inform the engineering team of my findings, comments, concerns and suggestions, but after several tries, and no responses, I gave up.

I recently became aware of the Community approach, and thought i'd put it out there…..does anyone at Quicken want to hear what i have to say?

I would think that having a professional bookkeeper who INTENSELY and EXPANSIVELY USES YOUR PRODUCT give insights on problems and potential improvements would be invaluable.

I am selfishly hoping that someone will listen, so my issues can be resolved.

Jill

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum. We are all aware that QWin has innumerable issues, many of them for years.

You should first search the forum to see whether your issues are well-known. Feel free to add on to any threads that can benefit from your contributions.

If you decide you need to start new threads, it will be more productive to post one thread per issue rather than a big thread with all your complaints.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With all the time you have spent accumulating an extensive list of issues and problems PLEASE start a new thread and provide everything you have there. It is easier to read 1 thread as opposed to many, many, many single issue threads which get lost in countless pages of threads. I like your management style by the way…..

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry @retird but I completely disagree about a single thread with multiple issues. Multiple threads with single issues are much easier to provide answers for.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @Rocket J Squirrel and disagree with @retird

Please try to find existing discussions that match your issues and comment there. If you click on Discussions, there is a Search box at the top. Search works best if you type a phrase and click on Search rather than using the list that pops up as you type, or you can do a Google search and include "site:community.quicken.com".

If you can't find an existing discussion for an issue, please create a new one, making sure the Category you select matches the problem. When starting a new discussion, please make the title describe the problem. For example, "Blank screen at startup" will get much more attention than "Yet another Quicken problem".

If you are requesting something new, please make it an Idea.

QWin Premier subscription
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

To the OP…. it's up to you how you want to proceed. Spend hours making individul posts or put it all in 1 post. If you have the list on computer just copy and paste it in 1 thread. Good luck…. I'm listening and interested in your suggestions… !!

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We superusers, who have been answering questions here for decades, prefer single topics per post. If someone posts 20 issues, I may have remedies for 3 or 4 of them. Another superuser may know about a different subset.

None of us are going to attempt to reply to a single post with multiple issues. That just becomes spaghetti.

One topic per post, please. Or maybe a couple if they're related.

(But I'm not seeing any activity at all from @backbonecap since her initial post, so maybe this is all moot. Are you there, Jill?)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Does beta still exist for Quicken Windows?

If so, I suggest that someone post how to sign up for that and submit these problems/features there in whatever form they are now taking such feedback.

If beta isn't available or you just don't want to do it that way, and only put them in here, then at the bare minimum feature requests need to be separated out as (go to Home page, New Post → New Idea) so that it can be voted on and get the proper priority.

As for submitting them here all in one post like @retird suggests might be easier, but it will most likely result in everyone ignoring it.

This isn't Quicken Inc's bug tracking system. It isn't a direct pipe to the developers.

Here is my opinion on the different ways you might provide feedback.

Even though some developers might scan some posts here, it won't be "exhaustive" more likely hunting information about a problem they have already been assigned to look at. Almost never does a developer post on here.

That leaves the Moderators and the SuperUser or any other user that might contribute. I have no idea what rules the Moderators have, but I can pretty much guess it is "send us every reported problem". More likely, a problem has to be reported a lot or impacts a lot of people because they forward it on. And all problems are not equal, in either how hard they are to fix or what priority they should be getting. One of the best things that this forum can do is isolate a problem and maybe even a suggested fix. I you already have that, that is great, but usually it takes the conversation different people trying things to get a real good clear picture of the problem. Not to mention maybe giving a workaround. That is where this forum can really help. But you can't have a clear conversation if people are talking about 10 different things in one thread.

Then there is Quicken support:

Their main goal is "fix a problem" so that the customer can continue on. And if that can't be done, then maybe submit an actual bug report to the developers.

Then there is: Help → Report a problem, and there is this new feedback button on the title bar:

This button seems like "short version" of Help → Report a problem, so I'm going to lump them together.

This states that the problem will be sent to the developers but will not allow any kind of feedback to you.

I get the feeling that this is something that maybe they scan from time to time but filter out depending on the "quality" of the report, or if the logs and such would be useful for a problem they are working on. Put another way this isn't you submitting a bug report directly into their internal bug system, it is sort of "collecting information that might be useful".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@backbonecap …. I sent you a Message

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The primary reason I have to recommend multiple posts is that it takes detail and explanation to describe each issue or problem. Discussions limited to simple one-line statements like "AAR% is wrong" or "Screen XYZ is hard to read" are not going to elicit helpful responses. They lead to games of 20 questions which I refuse to play.

By creating a separate discussion for a topic, the user can attempt to fully explain what they have done, what they expected, and what they have seen or what they would like improved.

If the community help is desired, I would encourage @backbonecap to choose the top three or so issues on their list, do some level of searching as others advised, and post accordingly adding to an existing discussion or starting a new discussion if needed possibly with references to a closed discussion as might be applicable.

But as noted, this community is not a direct line to developers nor is it a direct part of the bug reporting system, so expectations need to be properly tempered.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@backbonecap You misunderstand this forum. We're other users … NOT Q employees (except for the few Moderators here who's ID starts with Quicken …)

I recently became aware of the Community approach, and thought i'd put
    it out there…..does anyone at Quicken want to hear what i have to say?

You never state what your various issues are … so how can we possibly respond to them???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@backbonecap - tnx for posting…. and hope you come back -

I'm in the group that suggests a single topic per posting thread - as with multiple thoughts in the same postings, it's hard to reply …
    I usually just scan the topic titles and respond to things I see - and if the OP didn't make it obvious in the Topic Title - I usually "edit" it along with sometimes playing the 20 questions to find out what the real problem or question is….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• backbonecap
    Options

Thank you all for your responses. Shortly after I sent my post, I got Covid. I’m still recovering, but when I get back to the office, I will do as you all requested. First, I will search my issue with some keywords, and see if anyone else has had these issues. And then I will make single individual posts for each one of the issues.

Also, it’s helpful to know that there is the new help option for suggestions. I will go that route as well.

Thanks so much everyone for the education

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry to hear about your Covid. Get Well.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jeremy Kruse
    Jeremy Kruse Member ✭✭
    Options

You run a family office and use Quicken? There is professional software out there for businesses of your size. Using Quicken to run such a large business is doing a disservice to your customers. Quicken can barely keep up with my small portfolio.

This discussion has been closed.