Fidelity not showing accounts

Options

Hi I have Quicken Classic. I am able to connect to Fidelity, but it doesn't show the accounts in Quicken afterward. Any thoughts on this?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @nelsonnyland,

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• nelsonnyland
    Options

Hi Anja,

Thanks for your instructions. I followed the instructions but I am still not able to see my Fidelity accounts. I signed-out and then signed-in and then tried to connect with Fidelity. The Fidelity authentication succeeds, and it asks me to select and name the accounts, but they still don't appear in my accounts list afterward.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a test, try creating a new Quicken data file and add the Fidelity accounts. If they appear in your accounts list then you know it is something with your original data file. You could also try the Validate & Repair function. If that doesn't help, try the Super Validate & Repair function (not specifically listed, hit ctrl-shift before selecting Validate & Repair, on a Windows system at least).

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In Account List, is the box for Show hidden accounts checked? If not, check the box and see if your Fidelity accounts are now visible.

If they are now visible, click on the Edit button for one of the accounts, go to the Display Options tab, uncheck the boxes under Account display and then click on OK. Repeat for all other Fidelity accounts you are now able to see in Account List.

If this does not resolve the issue for you: What types of accounts do you have at Fidelity? (Please be specific because there are different "Fidelity's" that should be connected to depending on the type of accounts.)

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• nelsonnyland
    Options

cyberfile,

Thank you for your response. I created a new Quicken file and connected with my Fidelity accounts, but they still did not show up in accounts. I first tried to validate and found two transactions, but after it removed those and I attempted to re-connect I did not see the accounts. I tried to Validate and Repair using all checkboxes, and then connect with Fidelity, but still nothing. I tried the Super Validate using ctrl + shift, but still no dice.

• nelsonnyland
    Options

Boatnmaniac,

Thanks for your response. My Fidelity accounts were not hidden - I have never seen them. I have a brokerage account and a Roth IRA.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023
    Options

OK. Since the process you have been trying to set up with is taking you through an "authorization" process it tells me that your setup is trying to get you set up with the new Express Web Connect+ connection method but that does not work for brokerage and IRA accounts.

You might want to try setting them up as follows:

Add Account > Fidelity Investments (type it in, do not click on the Fidelity logo) > Next > accept the terms > enter your Fidelity Investments UserID and PW > check the box for Save to Password Vault > Enter the account nicknames you would like to use for each of the accounts > Add Account > Next > Complete Investing. Your accounts should now be set up in Quicken.

What you will want to do is check on the IRA account to make sure it is set up correctly. Go to the Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > General tab > make sure the account type = IRA and then select Roth IRA from the drop-down > make sure that Tax Deferred is selected > OK.

Are you now able to see both accounts in Quicken?

• nelsonnyland
    Options

Hi Boatnmaniac,

When I go through the process you describe, whether through the menu (Tools > Add Account…) or through the button on the accounts list (+), I always end up going through authorization on Fidelity's website, that then routes me back into Quicken and shows me the two accounts in a popup and then I proceed and it says success, but the accounts do not materialize. To be clear, I have other accounts with other banks that work fine and use various authorization procedures.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

When I first started my last post, I had to step away for a while before I'd completed the message. When I came back I noticed that the post had been entered. That wasn't supposed to happen because it was not fully accurate nor complete.

I edited the post to complete it and make some corrections but it looks like you responded before I completed the edit.

Please review my post, again, to see the complete process. Try that because it should connect you with the correct Direct Connect "Fidelity Investments" connection method, not the Express Web Connect+ connection method that you have been previously take to.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    Options

I am seeing a similar issue with Fidelity Investments to that of @nelsonnyland and this problem has been on-going since the beginning of December.

I have reset each of the accounts, and also completely "disconnected" and then "reconnected" each of them without any change (and in the "reconnect" stage after I reconnect the accounts I receive the "success" screen indicating that Q has "downloaded data for the past xxx days" BUT no data was downloaded). In the Account List each of the accounts indicate that the "Direct Connect" method is activated but under the "Last Download column each account has "Not Available".

There are no error codes given; Quicken acts like it is completing the download process but no transactions are downloaded whether I use OSU or manually start the download individually for each account. I have already both validated and supervalidated my datafile twice with no changes or problems.

As a test, I started a brand new Quicken datafile today, and was able to successfully download all of the problem accounts. Each account's connection method is Direct Connect. However, as expected, cost basis data is missing not to mention years of historical transaction data.

Any suggestions on how to straighten out these downloading problems in my real datafile will be appreciated.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Frankx - If you are getting a "success" message then it sounds like you probably have been trying to reconnect to Fidelity's new EWC+ connection. For QWin that EWC+ connection is just not working correctly, at least in part because it is not supposed to be including any DC connected Fidelity investment accounts.

When you do Add Account are you simply clicking on the Fidelity Investment logo? If so, instead of doing that, you might want to try typing it in and then selecting Fidelity Investments from the list of "Fidelity" FIs. That's what I had to do in order to get my DC connection restored, again.

But it also sounds like maybe you might have a runtime.dat file corruption issue. Are you seeing the last download date and time as well as the correct connection method directly beneath the Account Name in the Account Register? Here, shaded in yellow, is an example of the type of information you should be seeing:

If you are not seeing that information in Account Register along with some of the other things you mentioned, then it may be a good indication that you have this corruption issue. If this is a runtime.dat file corruption issue: There is no fixing of the file. It needs to be deleted. It's not a complex process but it might require resetting some or all of your download connections. There is also no risk of loss of data. If you wish to try it, here is link to a thread with the step-by-step process: Time date stamp [of last account update].

If your Fidelity accounts connection issue gets fixed by typing in "Fidelity Investments" (instead of clicking on the logo) during add account then you might not want nor need to try fixing this possible runtime.dat issue. But if it doesn't, you might want to give it try.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Boatnmaniac

Thanks for your reply. This one has me REALLY scratching my head…

To answer your questions:

1. When I do "Add Account" I have not been clicking on any logo. The reason is that I have not been presented with any logo when I "add account". But one thing that I have recently noticed is that when I first start Quicken, I see the Fidelity logo on startup - which has never happened before (but I must add that I recently moved to Fidelity - and I attributed that to my switch in FI's).
    2. And with respect to the EWC+ issue; initially when the problems started there seemed to be an indication that Quicken was connecting via EWC+ (I can't remember exactly where it appeared) but this was a single instance that seemed to indicate EWC+ may have been used. However when I look at "account details" for each account, they all indicate DC was the connection type.

So, as noted above, I was able to connect today with my Fidelity accounts in a new clean datafile. After I completed that, I returned to my regular datafile and once again disconnected all Fidelity accounts and tried to reconnect, without success. As a very long Quicken user, there is no way that I can revert to a completely new datafile to "solve" this problem.

I tried searching for a "runtime.dat" file and the search found no such named files. I suppose that this might indicate that there were no successful recent downloads, but you may have some thoughts on that - even though other accounts have successfully downloaded recently without problems (and apparently without creating a recent "runtime.dat" file)??? Without being able to delete such runtime.dat files as the first step, I have hesitated in following the rest of your steps.

I also just noticed that there are a couple of other very recent posts from other users reporting similar issues with their Fidelity accounts, which previously downloaded without problems, but are no longer downloading transactions.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Hi @Frankx - I don't understand all of the issues surrounding the Fidelity migration to EWC+, as well. What I do know is that for QWin it should be affecting only the Fidelity Rewards Visa credit card (which is not working now, at least not for me) and should not be affecting anything to do with any investment accounts that previously had been set up with DC. (This EWC+ conversion affects QMac much more than QWin…more Fidelity FIs and accounts so my comments above might not be applicable to QMac users.)

When I got the prompt last month to reauthorize to EWC+ I went through the process but got an error message that it did not complete (I don't remember exactly what it said). My accounts still showed DC for the connection but downloads did not work anymore. I think I ended up having to deactivate each account and then do Add Account with "Fidelity Investments" and needed to carefully match the downloads to each account. Since then my Fidelity accounts have been downloading properly with no more prompts to reauthorize to EWC+.

Regarding runtime.dat:

For me, the no-downloads issue was not a runtime.dat corruption issue. It was simply a matter or the DC connection for Fidelity Investments had become broken and once that was fixed the issue went away. I only mentioned it as a possibility here because the symptoms you describe indicate that it might possibly be the cause of the issues you are experiencing….that and that I am seeing a fair number of posts in other threads where runtime.dat corruptions are the cause of their OSU issues.

Each unique Quicken data file has its own runtime.dat file. If the issue you are experiencing is a runtime.dat corruption issue it would affect only the one that your main data file uses. Your new test file would have it's own runtime.dat file so it is not surprising that you can download OK with that file. Maybe this is all another indication that your main data file has a corrupted runtime.dat file? Could be but the only way to find out for sure is to delete that runtime.dat file and let Quicken recreate it during your next OSU.

Also, runtime.dat corruption issues often start out affecting just 1-2 FIs. Over time it will often progress to include other FIs and after a while no FIs will update during OSU. So, having the issue only with Fidelity at this time is a real possibility.

The runtime.dat file is not saved in the Quicken folder where most of the Quicken files are located. For me the path is C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common. Perhaps that is where it is located for you, as well. If you do not find it there, do a Windows search of your C-drive for it and that should find it/them.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi again @Boatnmaniac

Thanks so much for trying to help!

I believe that you are correct that this investment account is caught in Limbo between Direct Connect and Express Web Connect+. Here's what I am seeing:

Otherwise, I did delete the runtime.dat file and then cleared out all connection data in my datafile for Fidelity and finally tried to reconnect with the brokerage account once again, but it still indicating BOTH connection types and no data downloads.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 3
    Options

Well, I certainly did not know that Fidelity has investment accounts that cannot be downloaded via DC….and I've been a Fidelity customer since at least 2010. This account correctly downloaded with DC in your test file?

I'm not 100% sure what the new EWC+ FI is for Fidelity. I'd heard that it might be Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts which shows in the FIDIR file as being EWC (I wish the FIDIR would distinguish between EWC and EWC+ but it doesn't…just lumps them both together under EWC) and supports INVESTMENT (a very strong indication that this really is an EWC+ connection). But the URL points to their old Net Benefits URL so that is a bit confusing. However, NB is where Fidelity manages investment accounts for other entities, not just retirement accounts. So if that Fidelity account is really an account for another entity, then perhaps this might be the right one to use? I do not recall seeing this FI before the Fidelity migration to EWC+ last month so it might be worth a shot trying to set it up with this one. If you do, I'm guessing you'll need to make sure the account is deactivated first.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi again @"Boatnmaniac"

These are just plain old individual (i.e. personal) investment accounts (not retirement plans, or trusts, etc.). I do understand that Fidelity may be transitioning some "plan type" accounts to EWC, but that should not be affecting these accounts. For some reason that I cannot comprehend, Quicken has placed these accounts somewhere between DC and EWC and will not download data at all, even though is seems to indicate a successful download.

SMH

Frankx

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Frankx - I really don't know much about what the issue is but I do know that there have been other posts that sound similar to what you've stated. And perhaps this Alert is applicable to your situation?: ONGOING 12/27/23 Fidelity Accounts Authorization Includes Investment Accounts.

Some of the other posts I've seen similar to yours I think said that they had tried to reauthorize when they were prompted to do so but it wasn't successful (because DC accounts were not supposed to be included in the EWC+ conversion). After that their DC connections were also shot and they couldn't reconnect. I keep reminding people to manually type in and select the Fidelity Investments FI when doing Add Account. Some have said that fixed the issue for them (like it did for me) but others have said it did not.

I really am at a loss right now. It would be nice if the Alert was updated with some new information.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Boatnmaniac

I just wanted to get back to you with some new information.

Today, for the first time since December 9th, I was able to once-again download transactions of my Fidelity accounts. I had stopped trying to fix this problem myself and informed the Quicken folks about what I was seeing. I also sent them the screen shot that I showed you in one of my posts above indicating that an account was connecting (or at least set-up to connect) via both direct connect and EWC+ at the same time.

Magically, all accounts are now showing direct connect downloads, and the transactions are now appearing. SMH

Frankx

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Good to hear. In my test file I had been able to set up my Fidelity accounts with DC a while back but the Fidelity Rewards Visa card would not set up with with the new EWC+ connection method even thought that is what was supposed to be happening. Then yesterday I thought I would try to connect the Visa card, again, and it promptly set up and downloaded like it should.

So, maybe that Alert was what drove fixing both the DC and the EWC+ issues. But you know as well as I that we'll probably never find out what was changed to fix the problem for you and me. Just be glad that it's now fixed and move on (like always), right?

• nelsonnyland
    Options

I am still experiencing this issue. I will attempt to reach out to Quicken as Frankx recommended.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @nelsonnyland

Just wondering - which types of Fidelity accounts are you having issues with (i.e. - bank, investment, credit card,…)?

Frankx

• nelsonnyland
    Options

I have two investment accounts.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Options

Hi again @nelsonnyland

Above you said "I always end up going through authorization on Fidelity's website, that then routes me back into Quicken and shows me the two accounts in a popup and then I proceed and it says success, but the accounts do not materialize."

I want to make sure that I understand clearly; when you say the accounts "do not materialize" - do you mean that the accounts are not found in your datafile at all - that is they are never setup? Or do you mean that your Quicken datafile has two accounts but there is no data (transactions, etc.) in them?

If the answer is the first - I would suggest that you take a new route and setup two manual accounts in your Quicken datafile using the "Add Account" and NOT try to connect them with Fidelity right away. When you get to the screen to "Search for your financial institution" click on the tab "Offline Account". Make sure that you choose the proper "type of account", (i.e. "brokerage" IRA, or other investments, etc.) complete as much of the setup as you can.

Once you do that, you may also want to enter a few recent transactions in the register manually; then close Quicken. Next, open Quicken and and click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "Setup Online" > choose "Fidelity Investments" from the choices > then follow the prompts.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.