Problem transfering cash balance into investing account

Options
jstefano
jstefano Member ✭✭
edited March 24 in Investing (Windows)

Hi guys, I have problem transferring cash balance into investing account

For example, I have $100,000 in my Investment account. I'll purchase $10,000 from my checking account, which sends the amount into Investment account. 10K will sit there as a "Cash balance".

When I enter a new transaction (Fund purchase, using Investment account Cash balance), that 10K will disappear, but my total for the whole accounts reminds $100,000…

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as this drives me nuts!!!

Thank you very much in advance!

Jan

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What you have shown is the bottom of he account's Transaction list (register).

Please click on the Holdings button near the top of that page to display the Holdings view (Account Overview). In the Holdings section of that view you can adjust the "As of" date to see the contents of the account over time.

Was there a cash balance in the account before you transferred in the money?

After the transfer, did the cash increase by the amount you transferred?

After you purchased the security, do you see the security listed? What is the value of the security? Did the cash balance go down by the same amount?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21 Answer ✓
    Options

it should be working….

You deposit $10,000 into the account - HOW does it get deposited - and HOW does it show up in the Register ?

The Cash Balance should reflect this transaction -
    UNLESS this is some SINGLE mutual fund type of brokerage account.
    Next, you purchase something in this same account -
    and the transaction should show in the Register, and the Securities & Market Value should increase.
    The Cash should go to zero - IF indeed the purchase was made from the account Cash Balance.

Really need to see how this all is reflected in the Register -

And lastly - is this all contained within the Canadian version and Canadian accounts ?

My Register and Holdings both show the same data -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unless I am misunderstanding your question, that is what should happen.

If you have money in an account and you use some of it to buy a security it will not immediately change the value of that account. As the security changes value it will then change the value of the account.

As an example, I have $100,000 and use $10,000 to buy $10,000 of stock X. When I enter that transaction I now have $90,000 cash and $10,000 of stock X for a total of $100,000. Later, as the value of stock X changes this will change the value of the account.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Of course if you start with an Account value of $100,000, transfer $10,000 into the Account, and buy a security for $10,000, your balance should be $110,000. If the Account still is listed at a value of $100,000, then that's clearly wrong. The Account's value should be clearly spelled out in the Holdings view, security by security (and cash), so what would see there in this hypothetical? Expand that window to its full size so you can see the Account Status to see if those numbers match.

• jstefano
    jstefano Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Tom!

RE: If the Account still is listed at a value of $100,000, then that's clearly wrong.

no kidding!

Jan

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So if you are transferring $10k into the account and the account value is not changing where are you seeing the value? Are you looking at the Holdings (from the register click on the Holdings button)? Maybe there is a security there without a price. Or maybe there is some other issue. What is shown in the Holdings? That should hopefully highlight the issue.

• jstefano
    jstefano Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the bottom of the holdings page. I am pretty sure that Cash Balance should be 0! Just have no idea why it's not updating!

• jstefano
    jstefano Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for trying to help!!! Really appreciated it!

Jan

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What you have shown is the bottom of he account's Transaction list (register).

Please click on the Holdings button near the top of that page to display the Holdings view (Account Overview). In the Holdings section of that view you can adjust the "As of" date to see the contents of the account over time.

Was there a cash balance in the account before you transferred in the money?

After the transfer, did the cash increase by the amount you transferred?

After you purchased the security, do you see the security listed? What is the value of the security? Did the cash balance go down by the same amount?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jstefano
    jstefano Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much, Jim! I am waiting for my bank to update the balance online, as it was a long weekend here in Canada. I'll check tomorrow and update this post. Appreciate all your help!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21 Answer ✓
    Options

it should be working….

You deposit $10,000 into the account - HOW does it get deposited - and HOW does it show up in the Register ?

The Cash Balance should reflect this transaction -
    UNLESS this is some SINGLE mutual fund type of brokerage account.
    Next, you purchase something in this same account -
    and the transaction should show in the Register, and the Securities & Market Value should increase.
    The Cash should go to zero - IF indeed the purchase was made from the account Cash Balance.

Really need to see how this all is reflected in the Register -

And lastly - is this all contained within the Canadian version and Canadian accounts ?

My Register and Holdings both show the same data -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jstefano
    jstefano Member ✭✭
    Options

Dear friends, thank you all for your help!!! It turns out it's not Quicken to be blame, it was me!!! Instead of "Buy Shares Bought" transaction, I've selected "Add shares to the Account"! I was looking left and right, up and down, but never opened this last transaction… :(

After I changed it to "Buy Shares Bought", all is OK again.

Thank you very much and have a great weekend everybody!

Jan

This discussion has been closed.