Issues with Amex

Options

This discussion was created from comments split from:

AMEX (All Cards) just stopped synching

Comments

• mnem
    mnem Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Not able to pay AMEX via Quick Pay, Now none of my cards are syncing. Also cannot connect to the Quicken server for the past week

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @mnem,

When you say that you are unable to connect to the Quicken Server, what exactly are you referring to? How long have these issues been occurring? Are you receiving any error codes or messages with American Express?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Shimmyy
    Shimmyy Member
    Options

hi, Jasmine. No errors ever. I can only assume that Q is not connecting fully to AMEX. Turns out that this is an active problem with AMEX that Q has been working on.

• rlobrien
    rlobrien Member
    Options

Called into support to follow-up on a case I started before Thanksgiving and they confirmed the issue is unresolved. I also tried to do a partial export from AMEX and activity file import for the missing transactions and I now have a giant reconciliation problem because Quicken created a new account called Credit Card from American Express with the transactions and a correct balance (but missing over 10 years of transactions) and changed my existing Quicken account online balance to zero and the Quicken Ledger balance for that account to very large credit balance. (-$25 vs +$2053). I recommend not doing a "reset" or a "deactivate and reactivate" or a "manual file import" to try to fix this problem yourself. By my transaction dates this started when I had to re-authorize my three credit accounts with AMEX via the Online One Step Update prompt in Quicken. My earliest transaction that I had to manually enter was 11/09/23. So the problem may go back to that date. I really hope Quicken support has made this a 911 Emergency with their application support team and their developers.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Shimmyy and @rlobrien,

Are you able to connect to American Express? You just are unable to download transactions or are missing transactions?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Markhs
    Markhs Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Since the change on ~11/6 only one of my 2 AMEX credit cards is downloading transactions. The other account says it is updating but no transactions appear. I tried reset, deactivate and active etc. I used the Chat support, and they suggested the same steps and also resetting DT START with the Control Shift on the Contact Info on the Online Center menu. Nothing worked and then they said I should manually download from Amex and that their team was working on it. Then abruptly 'hung up' on me.

• booeysteeth
    booeysteeth Member ✭✭
    Options

You are not alone, people!

Quicken just does not want to admit they are the ones with the problem. Support had me walk through all of the usual steps and had no positive resolution. Like some of you, I have one Amex card that is updating, and one that is not. I have one Chase card that is updating, and six that are not. I use Quicken ONLY to save me the headache of going to the bank websites to cross check against entries in QuickBooks. I have been so frustrated by Quicken's inability to acknowledge a problem, much less fix the problem, that I have deployed a competitor application. And guess what? It is able to sync 100% of my accounts, without fail, and is proving to be extremely reliable in these trying times.

I have been using Quicken since 2005. They may have squeezed the last money out of my wallet unless they quickly get on the ball.

• rlobrien
    rlobrien Member
    Options

Hello Jasmine,

This problem in my desktop version of Quicken Classic consists of the following:

1. Multiple American Express accounts (there are 4) no longer show in the One Step Update Summary report as having been downloaded. Therefore no error is reported.
    2. The AMEX account that is not downloading from AMEX is a business credit card account and there are no error messages during any update. Three other accounts are downloading even though they do not show on the One Step Update Summary. Updating all four of them, individually, also completes without any error.
    3. The online balance is wrong for this one credit card account. The online Center for this account shows "N/A" in the Online Balance column.
    4. I cannot and have not reconciled to this incorrect online balance for almost a month.This card is used frequently each month and is normally reconciled every day..
    5. Turning off Online Service for the one account and then back on again, forces a 'Reauthorization with AMEX' and does not solve the problem. Nor does Reset.
    6. I have been putting transactions in manually for the duration of this problem.
    7. I have 15 accounts that download during One-Step Update. Only this one is not working.

• longface_2
    longface_2 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been experiencing the same issues with ALL my Amex card accounts. No errors, but no transactions are being downloaded as well. I reset all of the accounts, still nothing.

• Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I too have this same issue. I tried all the normal suggestions and ended up royally messing up my register. Downloading a file from AMEX directly adjusted the starting balance silently without warning leaving me dumbfounded about what transactions were missing. (None were missing or duplicated.) Just like others are reporting, Quicken connects to AMEX but downloads nothing.

• albert bodamer
    Options

One month without Amex updates on Quicken. When will this be remedied?

• rwcrooks
    rwcrooks Member ✭✭
    Options

But, they should be fixing the problem. It is documented from may users stating with a spefic update.

• Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • mjland456
    Options

Is there an update/fix for this issue with AmEx accounts downloading transactions? It's Dec 17 now and the problem has existed for weeks (first noticed early Nov). At least, I'm still experiencing it. What's the latest status Quicken? Please set the expectations of your user community. Are your support teams and developers on holiday through end of year now? Any communication on this issue would be helpful.

• Glennden
    Glennden Member ✭✭
    Options

I continue to be unable to receive one-step updates for my American Express credit card. I have been manually entering data into Quicken. Although Quicken Jasmine, in an 11/14/23 comment linked to in this thread, said that Quicken was working on this known error, it's now 1½ months later and there still is no fix. When will it be fixed?

Like many who comment here, I've been using Quicken for a long-time - in my case, over 30 years. In the past year, I've found it to be increasingly unreliable - not just with this Amex issue, but also with not-infrequent crashes, particularly when one-step updates are underway. I'm beginning to think I may need to move to a more reliable, more stable financial tracking platform (if there is one).

• karenewinston
    Options

I have the same problem. I have been able to reauthorize only PRIMARY card holder cards. Any additional card holders accounts are no longer visible or downloading.

• marclieber
    marclieber Member ✭✭
    Options

Perhaps it's time for Quicken to credit their paying customers for a lack of timely resolutions. Waiting months for a fix is really unacceptable. @Quicken Jasmine

• marclieber
    marclieber Member ✭✭
    Options
  • jghughes3
    jghughes3 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

count me in with the users being frustrated with quickens recent record for fixing things. AMEX is a huge credit card issuer and to be unable to work with them is a problem. I have beeb a Q user for 20- years and e=ven switched from the windows version to the Mac version thinking that would fix the issue but to no avail. the Mac version has even more problems and less ability

• booeysteeth
    booeysteeth Member ✭✭
    Options

I have given up, entirely, on Intuit fixing this problem. I have found another software application. It has downloaded everything, every day, since I started testing with it. It costs less than Quicken.

Intuit is not only destroying the Quicken software application, they are also charging double for the privilege of owning QuickBooks. List price forever was $299 and you could use the software for three years. Now they charge $649, you own it for a year, and they are forcing everyone onto the Online version next year.

Consider your time with the Quicken Desktop app limited at this point. Expect that they will invest the amount of time and energy into fixing our problems, when their goal is to shift you to the online version, to be minimal at best.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK, you fiends.

• Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@booeysteeth - what is the other software application you've been using? Also, do you know if the data file is compatible with Quicken?

• booeysteeth
    booeysteeth Member ✭✭
    Options

I switched to CountAbout. It is a website and an app on your phone. 45-day free trial to kick the tires. Walks you through the process of exporting Quicken to their platform.

For export purposes, they provide a CSV output option. Quicken has a specific format for their CSV imports, so there might be some leg work required. Possible. Easy? If you are good with Excel, shouldn't present much in the way of an obstacle.

I will say, I haven't been worried about importing a CSV back into Quicken since moving, so thank you for making me do a little research.

• Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Options

update: I just tried a suggestion from another AMEX problem thread: reset the account but select personal for display option instead of business when linking. It downloaded a pile of existing transactions (2 years' worth) for the first time in months! Time will tell if this is a permanent fix or not. I'm gun shy to return the account display option to business… if it keeps working I'm going to leave it there. Will update this note if it keeps working or stops working… Now I just need to delete 24 months of old transactions… - update 2: after dealing with all the downloaded transactions the register automagically changed back to business view….

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Kevin Miller

Now I just need to delete 24 months of old transactions…

Set the sort order of the Amex register to "order entered". That will put the new duplicates at the bottom of the register and you should be able to identify and delete them easily.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Blatboy
    Blatboy Member ✭✭
    Options

There was an update on this on 2/17. It had good advice, and recommended something that I didn't know you could do. Unfortunately that advice didn't fix the problem. I'm still stuck. Judging of the number of "downvotes" compared to "upvotes" on the post, I can probably safely assume I'm not the only person this didn't fix the problem for. I've talked to a rep on the phone and it's an "ongoing" problem. No fun.

• Blatboy
    Blatboy Member ✭✭
    Options

THIS DID IT! I can't believe something as seemingly stupid as the difference between a "business" or "personal" account could make a change, but it did.

This discussion has been closed.