Empower Integration

2»

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

There are a couple options for Empower, and if your account is serviced by Empower rather than directly through them, then sometimes the connection would show under the company's name rather than Empower's name. What is the URL (web address) that you use when you login to the financial institution website directly?

@Milehijones,

Could you please provide more detail on the exact issue you are encountering? If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend bookmarking the Community Alert from my earlier post.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rockhound23
    rockhound23 Member ✭✭
    edited March 9

Same here as well !My company was with Prudential and then got taken over by EMPOWER. Now I am unable to get access to my account within the Quicken software.

Contacted both EMPOWER and Quicken. Each point the finger at the other. EMPOWER's sad excuse was that I can login every-time from the webiste and re-download the file manually. What a joke! The whole purpose of Quicken is a single click synchronization of all investments and money transactions. 

Our various companies always say that HR and Benefits services are here for the employee so WE can focus on our work and not have to worry about nitty gritty details. [Removed - Language]!

I am sorry, this is a joke.

Make sure to get on glassdoor.com and start calling out the various companies Benefits Services that are dropping the ball and NOT pushing EMPOWER to join the 21st century and work with Quicken. It is 2024 for petes sake! There is no excuse when they took over Prudential and to not offer this service for proper syncing with Quicken.

• jc828
    jc828 Member ✭✭

Does anyone know if even QFX downloads are available from Empower Retirement? I finally got booted from the Prudential platform in the last 2 weeks, so I needed to register my account via the Empower website and get the Empower mobile app. But I'm not able to add Empower to Quicken for auto downloads. That's very disappointing, but at this point, I would be happy to at least get QFX downloads from the Empower web site. But when I'm signed into the Empower web site, the only option I see is for CSV downloads, which won't work with Quicken. Please help! Thanks.

• SeattleSummer76
    SeattleSummer76 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 11

As frustrating as it is to not be able to one-click download into Quicken, there's some histrionics going on in this forum. According to one plan sponsor's Empower Retirement's FAQ, Empower only supports manual import of the transaction file from the Empower website into Quicken or Microsoft Money. Given Empower actively competes with Quicken (see Empower's comments on Quicken here), they aren't going to go out of their way to help Quicken implement a screen scraper technology.

Bottom line: you need to periodically download the file from Empower and import into Quicken.

The FAQ is included verbatim below:

Can I Download to Quicken or Microsoft Money?

If you would like to download your account activity to either Quicken or Microsoft Money, simply choose the "Transaction History" option under the "Account History" tile. On this screen, select either "Quicken QFX" or "Microsoft Money QIF." Then, select your date range and press the "Download" button.

• 1luther1
    1luther1 Member
    edited March 15

FAIL - My retirement accounts are on Empower platform which worked perfectly fine until about 6 months ago. [Removed - Rant/Speculation]

Ask: When will this be resolved and what type of subscriber credit can expect for lack of functionality?

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @1luther1,

I can see that the Community Alert was marked resolved today. If the problem is still persisting, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly for assistance, as they have access to tools we on the Community can't access and they're able to escalate the issue if needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• jlavoo
    jlavoo Member

https://community.quicken.com/profile/Quicken%20Kristina The problem persists. $0 balance for Empower Accounts if you can even get it to connect. And your link for "community assistance" comes up as "permission problem."

• All my accounts linked fine except for my Empower Retirement. When I attempt to connect and it says sending authentication code to my phone, the code does not send. I therefore can't log in without the authentication code.

• SeattleSummer76

@cesutton23, there may be a hack you can try, it worked for me:

1. Start the Empower Retirement log in process on a "private window" from web browser. Request a text message two-factor code. Do not use this code yet.
    2. In Quicken, start the process of adding Empower Retirement (there are two in the list so you'll have to try both) and enter user & password.
    3. Request a text-message two-factor code in the Quicken Empower Retirement setup process.
    4. Use the code you received in step 1, and put it into the Quicken code box.

This allowed me to complete the Empower Retirement setup process within Quicken. I can't confirm if downloads are working perfectly, but this seemed to work.

• pa_frazier
    pa_frazier Member ✭✭
    edited March 22

Connections to Empower retirement frequently have issues and they (Empower) are not interested in hearing about them or fixing problems in a timely manner. You can't get to the website people to ask questions. After MANY years of using Quicken, I have every reason to believe the issues are NOT with Quicken but with Empower Retirement's web services. Let's stop bashing Quicken on this one and direct your efforts and anger to Empower to get it fixed.

I am preparing to close my account and transfer funds to another investment service. Sadly, all the worker bees putting money away through their deferred compensation plans using Empower will find they could do better with a different service.

Regarding downloads, using the "Massachusetts Deferred Compensation SMART Plan" connection (Quicken connect) gives a zero balance as it doesn't show securities/investments and using an Empower web connection (Great-West Financial) has ongoing issues with downloading the transaction file.

Everyone needs to realize that Empower provides services to different companies/municipalities so finding the right connection is important. Maybe, if you're lucky, your representative can help you. I've been using a web connect for years to download/import the Quicken compatible file and was never advised via email or newsletter that a specific Quicken Connect option existed (and of course it doesn't work either).

• lokhtar
    lokhtar Member

This sucks, having the same issue as everyone else. Other online services connect but the Mac Quicken does not. It's ridiculous.

• rockhound23
    rockhound23 Member ✭✭

The only solution it to go back to our companies that are currently clients of EMPOWER and push ESC (Employee Services) that handle 401Ks, etc. to leave EMPOWER and select a competitor that can provided better services and a quicken connection. This is just nuts. We are all wasting our time complaining on the same forum when emails and campaigns to replace EMPOWER are the only solution!

The customer is always right and EMPOWER does not want to listen. DUMP THEM NOW! I am willing to bet that more than a handful from the list below (Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.) would gladly come in and replace EMPOWER and take over your company's 401K management. It is all the same just with better access to our records.

https://www.hrlineup.com/top-401k-providers/

DUMP EMPOWER NOW!

• Jeremy Lahr
    Jeremy Lahr Member ✭✭

When will Quicken acknowledge this issue is still ongoing?

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @Jeremy Lahr,

The ticket was marked as resolved. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact Quicken Support directly for assistance since they have access to tools we on the Community can't access and they're able to escalate the issue as needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• SeattleSummer76

Here's text that other users can use to raise this issue (not able to Direct Connect to Emplower Retirement from within Quicken Mac):

My 401(k) is with Empower Retirement ([employername].empower-retirement.com). There are two connectors when I attempt to setup the connection within my Quicken Classic Mac: (1) “Empower Retd. – 401k”; and (2) “Empowerretirement.” Neither connection has ever worked for me.

(1) “Empower Retd. – 401k”

When I select this connection type, the Connect Account wizard results in “Quicken couldn’t find any accounts to add.”

(2) “Empowerretirement”

When I select this connection type, the Connect Account wizard prompts me for which method of dual-factor authentication I want to use (and the prompt correctly lists the last four digits of my phone number suggesting the connector did connect to my accounts). However, regardless of which method I choose, I never receive any code.

Other users also report the exact same issue. See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20425952#Comment_20425952

Please escalate this to your technical support teams.

• DavidCR
    DavidCR Member

I seem to be unable to connect my Empower retirement account to Quicken, which I'd expect to work given my Quicken subscription. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried both Empower Read - 401k and Empowerretirement, both with dead ends like other users have mentioned above. This is essential, as much of my retirement financials are in Empower (through my employer). Thank you.

• rebel7580
    rebel7580 Member ✭✭

I'm not able to find the links mentioned in their FAQ. Tried two different browsers (Chrome, Firefox) but there is no link on the pages they mention.

Anyone know where/how to get to the QFX link?

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭

When you log into your Empower acct., Select Account, then select the plan and then I select Overview. On the left side, select Transaction History and over to the right you should see a Quicken icon with Quicken QFX and select it. You will then be given a option to choose activity since most recent quarter or activity from prior quarter. Once you select one, select the download option. Then go into your downloads folder and select this which will import into Quicken.

• SpeedyN
    SpeedyN Member

When I connect to "Empowerretirement" in Quicken Mac I'm able to login to the account at setup, Quicken finds the account with the current balance, but when I complete setup it shows a zero balance for the account. I've tried to re-add the account and no matter what happens, it will not show the current account balance in Quicken, even though it sees the account and its balance during setup. Is there any fix for this?

• myqf
    myqf Member

Quicken for Mac user. No joy here. I stumbled on the website "login" through a browser trick to get a code texted to me that I then used in Quicken rather than in the browser, because otherwise I did not receive a code. I tried using accounts already created in Quicken and accounts created by Quicken. I used participant.empower-retirement.com as the Quicken setup account option. End result is $0.00 balances for two accounts with only several transactions in the past few months for 3 year old accounts. I give up.

• Mikelkal
    Mikelkal Member ✭✭

Mac user as well. The same issue like the others

(2) “Empowerretirement”

When I select this connection type, the Connect Account wizard prompts me for which method of dual-factor authentication I want to use (and the prompt correctly lists the last four digits of my phone number suggesting the connector did connect to my accounts). However, regardless of my chosen method, I never receive any code.

• insomniac
    insomniac Member

FYI - I am also on Quicken for Mac; and the work around mentioned above finally worked for me. Using the "Empowerretirement" account I too am prompted for two-factor and no matter what I choose I never get a code. So the workaround is to login to your empower account via a web browser from a new device (or delete your device history once logged in, log out and back in again). Once prompted on the website for the two-factor I choose to get an SMS. I then went back to quicken and choose "I already have a code" and then I used that code to authenticate with Quicken. Kind of annoying, but I've been trying for years to link this up and this was my first success with it (we'll see how long it lasts).

This discussion has been closed.