Apple Card/Savings data

Options

I believe Apple just made available Apple Card/Apple Savings data - does Quick intend to support this?

If so, is there any timeframe you can give us?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @vernea,

In order for Apple Card/Apple Savings to support automatic transaction downloads with Quicken, Apple would need to contact our service provider and submit a request to have this added to Quicken.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• CP64
    CP64 Member
    Options

It does not work like that. Apple has made this API available and quicken just has to enable it. Your customers are requesting this feature. Apple has already given you all you need.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@CP64 Apple made this API available on the iPhone & iPad. AFAIK it is not available for Mac or Windows. Even Apple doesn't have a Wallet app for Mac that will show you your Apple Card activity.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@CP64 To quote your statement: "it does not work like that." 😂

Quicken does not build custom API interfaces for individual financial institutions. (If they did, they'd need to charge for more for Quicken than they do… and then people wouldn't buy it.) Quicken works with more than 10,000 financial institutions via several proven, decades-old methods of connectivity. Quicken itself is too small a company to manage this, so they contract with Intuit to handle all the connectivity, from contracts to technical details of implementation and ongoing operations, with each financial institution.

Apple's API, called FinanceKit, is in its first release, and it was specifically designed for iOS (Apple-only phones and tablets). It does not exist natively on macOS yet. There is a way to run iOS apps within macOS called Catalyst, and FinanceKit does support Catalyst, so it may be possible to bring this to Macs. But it definitely won't run on Android devices, nor Windows. For that reason alone, I think it's unlikely Quicken or Intuit would build a custom solution which only works for Apple customers. FinanceKit currently only works in the US, so that would leave out Canadian customers as well, so that's another strike against it.

Apple worked with the developers of a few cloud-based personal finance apps to launch Finance kit. TechCrunch reported "At launch, the company has partnered with YNAB, Monarch and Copilot." Notably, they did not include Quicken, even for its web-based Simplifi service — probably because Simplifi is used by Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android users. But members of the Simplifi team have said Apple Card access is coming in the not-too-distant future. It's impossible to guess whether that implementation will open a door to an implementation for Quicken Classic for Mac.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CP64
    CP64 Member
    Options

Thank you for the comments. I understand Quicken leverages Intuit for banking exchange. As a former Mint user (an intuit app), it also allowed integration with Apple Card. They did this a few months before they shut down. Not sure whey they went through the effort? Either way, intuit did built an Apple Card integration. I understand it is with iOS only and not MacOS, but I'm using Quicken Classic on iOS, I'm assuming it does not doing any banking integration on it's own and just provides a view of the data that MacOS manages?

• jacobs
    Options

Intuit did built an Apple Card integration. I understand it is with iOS only and not MacOS, but I'm using Quicken Classic on iOS

You're not using Quicken on iOS. iOS is the operating system for iPhones; macOS is the operating system for Macs. I wasn't a Mint user, so I'm not familiar with what Intuit did, but it's quite possible they built an integration for iOS because Apple provided their FinanceKit interface for iOS, but it wasn't available for macOS. Quicken is unlikely to build a feature which only works with iPhones on its mobile app, as such a solution wouldn't work for Mac users who don't use the mobile app, and wouldn't work for Android phone or Windows desktop users. I think if Apple releases a version of its FinanceKit API for macOS, then it becomes something much more viable for Quicken to implement (although it would only work for Quicken Mac, not Quicken Windows).

• CP64
    CP64 Member
    Options

Hey Jacobs - thanks for the conversation! I do have "Quicken Classic" on my phone. I talked to Quicken support about a month ago to report a bug - discrepancy between Quicken Classic iOS and Quicken Classic MacOS. They shared with me how the two applications integrate. The bug had to do with split transactions affecting budget reporting. I just unspilt the transactions to solve the project. Anyway, just sharing as I'm pretty well versed in the application but I certainly don't know everything! Nevertheless, I still pine for Apple Card integration but aware it may not happen. :(. Would also like Zillow but for now it's manual.

• jacobs
    Options

I do have "Quicken Classic" on my phone.

No, Quicken Classic only runs on Mac and Windows computers. Quicken confusingly shows "Quicken Classic" at the top of your phone app screen, but what you have on your phone is actually the "Quicken Classic Companion App". It's not the same as the full-fledged desktop application. It cannot be used as a stand-alone solution for Quicken on an iPhone; it is designed to sync with complete data on a Mac. (If you're using the mobile app without a Mac, you will inevitably run into trouble because that data is not, and cannot be, backed up anywhere.)

• CP64
    CP64 Member
    Options

I think we are in the same page here. I understand the quicken mobile app pulls from a shadow version of the MacOS app and is not standalone.

• mrblasty
    mrblasty Member
    Options

On the one hand I get the technical limitations for this right now, but on the other hand I'm Paying for Quicken Deluxe and I really wish someone would just figure it out and get it done.

Having to download a file on my phone, transfer to mac and manually enter it is just an absurd solution.

After 20 years of using Macs it's been my experience that if Apple is limiting or not providing services for something like this, it's because they want to maintain control in their little ecosystem and/or might have their own version in the works. If so, I wish they would just get on with it.