Unable to Download Transactions

Options
13»

Comments

• r_g_thomas
    r_g_thomas Member
    Options

I am amazed to read about all the missing downloaded transactions that appears to have been started recently. This is a Quicken problem, not a banking institution problem. Quicken solely exists for the downloading of transactions and monitoring cash flow. I know that's an over simplification, but as an end user, paying for this product, this is something that is expected to work correctly. All my transactions are retrieved from the same bank (Hudson Valley Credit Union). For years, I have never had an issue with missing transactions. A recent release, and problems start.

Someone wrote "If there are two transactions from the same payee posted on the same
    date with different amounts, only one will be downloaded into Quicken"

This seems to be the case for my issues. Why in the world would this be allowed to happen?

• Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    edited February 17
    Options

Quick update : As mentioned I'm running version R53.32 and have not been experiencing these issues. This morning I realized one of my accounts, Heritage Bank, had not downloaded transactions I know have cleared online. Everything else updated this morning normally and correctly. All my other accounts also have been in Quicken for years. Heritage Bank was a new addition…in the past few months.

Heritage bank did work the first few times I ran One Step Update, so this was a new phenomenon this morning.

On a hunch, I decided to go to the individual register itself for Heritage and then click on the Arrow next to "Downloaded Transactions" at the bottom left of the register to expand that section.

I then performed an update using the "Update Transactions" button located on the right of the expanded window (you can mouse over the icons to have it tell you what they are but it's the circle-with-an-arrow button). This will do the update just for this register and not all the accounts like One Step Update.

I ran this and *voila* all my missing transactions downloaded (there were 6 missing in total).

This might help some of you but undoubtedly not all of you having various issues. It's worth a try if you have not done it as it worked for me.

Quicken is broken. Very broken. Too much randomness. I might roll back to an even earlier release than R53.32 if anything else pops up. We are approaching tax time and I need a smooth running accounting software.

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Can someone from Quicken let us know if they recognize that missing transactions on downloads of a variety of accounts has become an increasing problem for many of us? My experience is that this difficulty started about a month ago. I do not recall it from the past and I've been a quicken user for over 25 years.

Assuming Quicken representatives know of this problem is it being actively worked on? Is there an estimated date for release of a correction?

Thanks

• auner
    auner Member
    Options

I think it is great that they are "aware of the problem" but this was working and is core to thier product. Any idea when a fix is coming? Or a rollbaclk? Right not is pretty much worthless as a useful finance tool.

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Transactions still fil to completely download from my Capital One VISA into Quicken Classic premier, Windows 10. I performed the steps given by Quicken Kristina on Feb 9 and the problem still occurred. I will call Quicken support

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I think this is a different problem, where one step update shows a successful download, but transactions didnt actually download. It doesnt give any error, and might actually show updated date and time under the account name. The current balance isnt updated either, so everything looks fine. In my experience, when you update tomorrow, it'll catch up and everything will resume reconciling.

The problem in this thread is -some- transactions downloading, and others disappear forever. They won't download tomorrow, and won't download if you reset your account connection. They're simply gone and you have to manually key them in (or download qfx) to get them.

wags Glad to be here!

• loridow
    loridow Member ✭✭
    Options

This is unfortunately NOT fixed. I send troubleshooting logs every single day. Two transactions missing this morning from my Wells Fargo account that cleared the bank on 2/28/24.

• studpup
    Options

It's not fixed, but it looks like quicken is starting to address these

Also, it's doesnt appear to be related to the version of the software, 53.32 has the same problems.

One workaround is go switch back to webconnect (deactivate the bank in quicken, then each day log into banks website and download qfx file). It actually takes less time to do that than a One-Step-Update, then log into the bank to see what transactions are missing and start pasting those in.

wags Glad to be here!

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My original post was in early February. Since that time the frequency of missing transactions upon Download of VISA Capital One transactions still occurs but is much less frequent. I've tried all suggestions but none have cleared up the problem. I've not called Quicken yet as we were traveling. We're back now and i'll call the next time it occurs.

Thanks for everyone's comments

A

• studpup
    Options

Okay, I had to manually key in a lot of "missing" transactions up until 3/25/2024 but since then, quicken has been fine this week. I installed 55.26 on Tuesday 4/2 but I think the problem resolved late week end has been doing okay since. Weirdly, almost every day this week I've had to sign back into quicken. But downloads to Camden National, Citibank, and Nasa FCU have been working fine. (Camden wont reconcile, quicken seems to want me to reconcile against the available balance, not the ledger balance.)

wags Glad to be here!

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ditto

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It just happened to me again. One missing transaction on my Chase Visa. The transaction is the same amount with the same vendor and happens about once a week. I'm on 55.26 which according to the release notes was supposed to fix that issue.

• Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    Options

@cdennett I noticed this issue in that Quicken has a bug where if there are matching amounts and vendors, while matching transactions after download it will -sometimes- match an "already reconciled" ledger entry with a newly downloaded entry.

I caught this a few times noticing there was a "MATCH" entry in my pending reconcile list after downloading where technically all newly downloaded items for a credit card should be marked as "NEW" (unless a linked payment from a checking account already reconciled perhaps).

So I had to manually change it to "NEW" and remove the match before accepting/reconciling the downloaded transactions into my ledger. It doesn't always happen. It's a weird random bug.

I have learned to watch my downloaded transactions very closely after downloaded without just hitting "accept all". Not sure if this was in any way related to your issue but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• checkyourmirrors
    checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
    Options

I've had a single missed repetitive transaction and everyday DIGIT pulls $35 from my checking account and Quicken misses that download everyday/time. Today I happened to have a different amount withdrawn ($14.78) and Quicken picked it up so not sure if it is a transaction payee wording, dollar amount or both combined but that has been my experience.

• Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    edited April 11
    Options

@checkyourmirrors Please see my comment above you here and see if that might explain your issue. Quicken seems to randomly match newly downloaded transactions with previously downloaded (and previously already reconciled) transactions.

I would imagine there is a time limit in which it will consider incorrectly matching previous transactions (meaning it only goes back so far in the ledger time-wise) so a frequent matching vendor and amount would potentially trigger this bug.

The solution for me was to change it to "NEW" from "MATCH" before accepting the transactions into my ledger. You obviously need to disable automatic acceptance of downloads in your settings so you can review them before reconciling/accepting into your ledger.

Again, not sure if this is the answer to your problem or it's a different bug but I thought it was worth you considering.

• wilsonbh
    wilsonbh Member ✭✭
    edited April 19
    Options

Very frustrating dealing with these issues. [Removed - No Soliciting/Rant]

• studpup
    Options

To.me, that's a separate issue where transactions are being matched even though the date or payee is different. There you can click make new and you're fine.

The problem here is the downloaded transaction never appears in the list, but if you look.in the ofx file, the transaction was downloaded but quicken just "ate it". It never appears, even after days of downloading it resetting the connection. But it appears to have been fixed late March and/or the release of 55.26. I wasn't sure until several days had gone by with everything downloading.

Incorrect matching, attempting to reconcile to "available balance" instead of ledger balance, and putting all payee info in the memo column while leaving payee field blank are all separate recurring issues.

Thanks for helping, that's what makes it a community! ❤️

wags Glad to be here!

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, it was not fixed in 55.26. Just did a one step update and one transaction for my Chase visa was missed. It's one from the same vendor for the same amount I have usually once a week. The one from a few days ago was missed and I had to enter it manually in order to have the online balance match Quicken's balance. Yes, it had already cleared my account. I checked online.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like that repeated $35 transaction is being created by your bank with the SAME transaction ID (FITID) so that Q thinks that it's a dupe.

You can test this theory by inspecting the OFX log and looking for the FITID field within those $35 transactions.

If I'm correct, this is an FI error, not a Q error, and Q can do nothing to fix it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• checkyourmirrors
    checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
    Options

I suspect @Flux you are correct that it is the same transaction ID and I also agree with @studpup that the ID alone shouldn't be the only criteria and I would think Quicken should also consider Date, Amount, and Payee to determine if they transaction is worth including in the register and not just the ID. There has been a ton of dialog on this from the users, however did I miss Quicken acknowledging it as a bug or feature request.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That isn't a reasonable thing to do. The identical ID is the financial institution saying that the transactions are the same. If Quicken is going to start questioning what the financial institution is saying where does it stop? I might add that it is quite possible to have a transaction that has everything identical between the Date, Amount, Payee, and memo and still not be the same transaction.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    edited April 26
    Options

We have no evidence that the transaction ID's from the bank are the same do we? I think this is just speculation on the part of a few people. I suspect the issue is just the "Matching" algorithm Quicken uses and is conflating transactions within a certain date range going back that have the same vendor and amount as matching and either show them as a match or if they are already reconciled previously, they don't even show up in the downloaded transactions list for acceptance at all. That is what I brought up.

I think Quicken is matching these transactions that have the same vendor name and amount to previously reconciled transactions (ignoring the fact that they are previously reconciled and so should not be conflated or included in the matching algorithm) and therefore just deletes the downloaded transaction as there is no reconcile to complete as the incorrectly matched previous transaction in the register is already reconciled. It basically views it as a dupe download and deletes it from the acceptance list below.

This is also speculation on my part.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Flux thanks for the "reminder", my last comment was just looking at @checkyourmirrors 's comment and responding to it and not really paying attention to which thread this is in.

This thread is about the bug that was introduced starting in January. As such, this is about connection types Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect +. Given that all the rules for the transaction IDs have been thrown out the window. It isn't relevant to talk about them in the exact same way anymore. They are still there, but there is the server is doing "pre-matching" and as such the statement that the reason a transaction is missing is because of the transaction Id is duplicated is no longer "100%".

The "pre-matching" for duplicate transactions is now being done on the server before Quicken (the program) sees the transactions. And they introduced some kind of bug in this matching starting around January. By "definition" this "pre-matching" ignores the transaction Id.

Signature:
  • Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW

Ahhh yes that make sense and is in line with what I was saying. It looks like quicken is simply mismatching transactions with a recent time-frame that matches vendor and amount fields or something similar. This is being done on the back-end outside of our view or control so they are preventing us from changing the "Match" to "New" in the transaction list by omitting them from showing up in the transaction acceptance list below during reconciling.

Is there a way to disable transaction matching as an option to make the whole process manual or is this a "pre-filter" done, as you say, on the server and outside the "preferences" parameters in the settings of Quicken?

Also do you know if there is a ticket open for this and is it a "known bug" or has it yet to officially be acknowledged by Quicken?

• smgradman
    smgradman Member
    Options

I also have been unable to download transactions for the last 2 or 3 weeks. I have to go to the bank site and manually download all transactions within the relevant date range. Wells Fargo VISA, Citibank VISA (Costco), AMEX. I click on the update button and then everything just spins forever without updating. At that point I have to go to Task Manager to force Quicken to close, because otherwise it will accept no commands or close in any other way.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's outside The users control. I sure hope they know about the problem and there's an open ticket on it. I don't remember seeing the moderators acknowledging it though. This is one of those ones where it was a whole bunch of reports for a couple of months and then people got tired of reporting it. I have seen a few people the saying they have seen less off it, but nothing acknowledging it is fixed.

I don't have any transactions with the same amount to really know myself if it is still doing it.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you aren't getting transactions at all that is a different problem and you should contact Quicken support.

Signature: