Savings account within UBS investment account shows no return

Nalgas
Nalgas Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 13 in Investing (Windows)

Hello
Within my investment account at UBS, is a core savings product that I use to hold some cash; paying 4.5% is not horrible. Quicken has treated it as a security that is used for the transactions.

When money is moved into and out of that security, quicken has used "bought", "sold", and IntInc, and it has worked fine, I guess. When I go into the security view , the cost basis is the same as the value, as it should be, but it doesn't show any gain despite payments of interest into it.

Is that normal behavior? Shouldn't it show some return?

Thank you

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Gain, or loss, is based upon the change in Price. Since price is always $1, there's no gain.

The value of the account will change, but not Gain/Loss.

And, why are you showing both a Div and an Int transaction for the same security?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12

Thanks Not

I understand, with a price of $1, there will not be a gain.

That transaction on 9/8/23, for example, constituted of interest, and then they "deposited" it into the savings product. I consolidated the 2 into one. Is that wrong? Quicken imported the intinc and then a buy transaction, so I consolidated it into 1.

EDIT - I just changed it to IntInc, keeping the same security, but the current balance for that savings security decreased. So, it looks like I have to use reinvdiv. Or, did I set up the security incorrectly??

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

HOW did you "consolidate"? The proper action would be to change that deposit into a BUY. OR, delete the deposit and change the _IntInc into a ReinvInt.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭✭

Right.

Quicken imported 2 transactions: intinc and buy, and I combined those 2 into reinvint.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to see the annualized return for an Investment including interest, dividends, and other distributions, you can use the Investment Performance Report or the Avg Annual Return (%) columns in an Investing Portfolio view.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.