American Express Banking not connecting - CC-502 (QWIN)

Comments

• Roger Starr
    Roger Starr Member ✭✭✭

I just tried XTC's post of creating a new Quicken file and adding a new account using American Express - Banking. After authenticating with username, password and 2FA code, I still ended up with a CC-502. At least I know it isn't anything in my 282MB QDF file with data all the way back to the 1990's. This is clearly a case of - "it's not me, it's you" so Quicken, its time to get this FIXED!

• iusdcm1
    iusdcm1 Member ✭✭

Rodger Starr that is odd because as I said above, I was able to finally reestablish a connection to Amex Banking today. I am on Windows version.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

Amex Banking did ask for verification again today. It seems that this will be the situation until/unless they move the connection to EWC+. I plan to leave it off and sync that one once a month when interest shows up.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Confirms what I see.

• mihran_tuceryan
    mihran_tuceryan Member ✭✭✭

I am having trouble with the authentication as well. When I try to set up EWC, it takes me from quicken to amex web site, I enter my credentials and I get an error message from amex web site. The same credentials work fine when I go to amex site in the browser directly.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

I have found that sometimes when that happens, it helps to start your browser in SAFE Mode first, then initiate the authroization in Quicken. Have not had that issue with AMEX, but have with other accounts. Worth a try.

• mihran_tuceryan
    mihran_tuceryan Member ✭✭✭

I tried this and also deleting the amex cookies. I got past the authentication, but after the login was authenticated the same error occurred and could not return to quicken.

• TCL Peter Rabbit
    TCL Peter Rabbit Member ✭✭

reauthorized existing account, have worked properly past two days, requesting sms code when accessing Amex savings

• BrianV
    BrianV Member ✭✭

Still no luck. Tried reauthorizing and CC-502 error every time.

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

Hello Quicken Anja,

I just tried again and it just failed again, the same way. I submitted ANOTHER bug report.

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭

I had to reauthorize my Citi Credit Card account (EWC+) today without a problem. Entered credentials and account reconnected smoothly. Sadly AMEX savings account is still not reauthorizing.

• Roger Starr
    Roger Starr Member ✭✭✭

@Quicken Anja - still not working on my regular Quicken data file which is too large to upload in the problem report. I created a Test file and tried to add my Amex Savings account to that file using the American Express - Banking institution. Entered my Amex username, password and 2FA code received via text message and still got a CC-502 back. I created another problem report and uploaded the sanitized data file.

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

American Express Savings still not connection since June 27.

• GP
    GP Member ✭✭✭

Same as everybody else, I can't connect to AmEx. Tried all the suggestions, same error messages.

There is some advice on the Quicken page to activate hidden accounts, but that doesn't help either.

I've sent reports to Quicken several times.

Question: is this a Quicken problem or an AmEx problem, and who is working on it?

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭

https://community.quicken.com/profile/Quicken%20Anja

Tried again today and I still cannot connect to my AMEX savings account getting 502-error message (Ticket# 11145139). However, I noticed an inconsistency that might be the problem and would appreciate some help. My AMEX account in Quicken has an old customer ID. While that didn't affect downloads in the past it might be the reason why I'm having this problem now. This isn't a field that I can change. So, my question is what is the best/safest way to update the customer ID field on the "General" tab of the "Account Details” popup in Quicken?

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

AMEX has always insisted that AMEX Savings does not support integration with Quicken but this was never an accurate statement. I have tried on multiple occasions to download my transactions from AMEX and then upload them to Quicken but the resulting transactions are full of errors. Specifically my withdrawals appear as deposits in Quicken. What is more troublesome is why is Quicken silent on this issue.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

I have been unable to use Quicken to download transactions from AmEx Saving since I received a notice that quicken was changing the connection method to "Express Web Connect+" and that I needed to "Reauthorize" my login. That happened on June.27. Tomorrow it will be a full two weeks. Everyone here is guessing about what is wrong and who will fix it. I have not seen any notice from Quicken telling their customers what is going on and what they are or will be doing to fix it. It would be nice if we could get a direct statement about this issue from Quicken.

• GP
    GP Member ✭✭✭

It seems to me this is an AmEx issue in that they have decided to stop allowing Quicken to connect, for security reasons.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

Perhaps. It is as good a guess as any. However, if Quicken would let us know we wouldn't need to guess.

• GP
    GP Member ✭✭✭

There's an explanation on the AmEx site about the new policy. Maybe the Quicken team is trying to work something out to get AmEx to change back, who knows.

Anyway we are wasting our time trying to get this work on the user end, it will not, and sending reports to Quicken won't do anything at all because it isn't their problem.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

GP, do you have a link to that AmEx Policy notice.

• Papoon
    Papoon Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

GP, that's not exactly a new post. According to the Internet Archive's Wayback machine, AmEx has had that page (which is hard to find without Google), saying basically that, since 25 Nov 2020. I don't give it much weight,

• marman
    marman Member ✭✭
    edited July 9

I was able to get Quicken to connect to my AMEX savings account and download. Financial institution: American Express - Banking. It is using Express Web Connect. Also, it prompts for 2 factor verification.

• GP
    GP Member ✭✭✭

Oh, I didn't know that, it certainly worked ok until a few weeks ago. Thanks.

• iusdcm1
    iusdcm1 Member ✭✭

I can connect also (Amex Savings Account) but the 2 factor verification each time is annoying. It wasn’t like that before.

• Papoon
    Papoon Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

I got optimistic with recent reports here of success connecting… but not for me. I earlier disconnected my accounts so I am now trying to setup online access, and it's still CC-502.

• Mitch104
    Mitch104 Member ✭✭✭

Ugh, so I'm not the only one. Today it went a little further (sending me a verification code) and it actually downloaded recent transactions (yay!), but then for a subsequent update it errored out. Now it won't even accept my username/password.

• Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10

The latest from American Express HELP….;

Does the American Express Savings site integrate Quicken?

At this time, American Express Savings does not allow sites like Quicken to log in on behalf of our customers. This protocol is in place to protect Savings customers’ personal information. Savings does allow you to download transactions so that you can import them into sites like Quicken by following these easy steps:

1. Log in to your American Express Savings account
    2. Select the "Documents" tab at the top of the page
    3. Click the "Download Transactions" link towards the top right of the page
    4. Select the account that you want to download
    5. Select the “Start Date”, “End Date” and “File Type” you wish to download
    6. Select 'Download'

• annegchodosh
    annegchodosh Member ✭✭✭

I just spoke to American Express Savings. They told me that they no longer allow Quicken & other software to access their customers' accounts. She said "this is for your security". She showed me how to download transactions from American Express. Go to Documents > Download Transactions (it's on the right side), select date range and file type. Then click download. This is going back to the old, old way of doing things.

I then mentioned that the error message that we receive (cc-502) should be re-worded to say "this can't be done anymore". I think that's a Quicken message.

Has anyone found a real solution?

This discussion has been closed.