Is there a way to turn off Memo option for individual payees

fallwalker
fallwalker Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have an issue for individual payees where the category changes based on the purchase. However, with the download for that payee the memo field is copied from the previous transaction. I have the "Never Auto-Categorize" for certain memorized payees turned on, however the memo field is copied from the previous transaction. For now I have "Don't Update Memo when Downloading" turned on for the Account. However, I would like an option to turn off for individual payees. I did not see that option in the memorized payees list.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Memorized Payee List, put a space (or, a Period might be needed) in the Memo field. That should stop Q from filling in the field.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also lock that Memorized Payee so future transactions Memo field entries/edits do not change the Memo filed for that Memorized Payee.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• SharonKirk
    SharonKirk Member ✭✭✭

Why does it do this? I use the memo field to remember what I purchased. It is never the same and I don't have any idea how to get to a memorized Payee list!

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're a Quicken for Windows user, one way to access the Memorized Payee List is by selecting the Tools Menu, then click on Memorized Payee List.

Are you new to Quicken for Windows?

Welcome.
    Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to
    help familiarize yourself with Quicken:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-windows

Quicken Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure about how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.
    To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).
    Once Help has started, use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy security".
    Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question mark. Click it to get view - specific help.
    A browser-based version is available here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Quicken+Windows+Help

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do not want Quicken to automatically enter Categories or Memos for transactions or if you want Quicken to remember a specific same category or memo for a transaction might want to consider try one or more of these steps to see if they give you the desired results.:

TOOLS > MEMORIZED PAYEES LIST: These settings will affect specific Payees, regardless of the Account.

1. Scroll through the list and click on a Payee which you want to control the Category and/or Memo field during downloading.
    2. On the far right, click on the Edit button for that Payee.
    3. Clear or assign the Category you want and/or the Memo you want to appear with every downloaded transaction for that Payee.
    4. Check the box for "Lock and leave this payee unchanged…".
    5. Check the box to "Never auto-categorize this payee…." if you wish.
    6. Select the specific "Type of transaction" if you wish.
    7. OK.
    8. Delete other listings for this Memorized Payee as appropriate.
    9. Repeat this process for other Payees as needed/desired.

GLOBAL PREFERENCES: These settings will affect all accounts.

• EDIT > PREFERENCES > DATA ENTRY AND QUICKFILL > check the box for AUTOMATICALLY MEMORIZE NEW PAYEES > OK.
    • EDIT > PREFERENCES > DOWNLOADED TRANSACTIONS > uncheck the box for AUTOMATICALLY CATEGORIZE TRANSACTIONS > OK.: If you do not want Quicken to automatically categorize downloaded transactions.

ACCOUNT PREFERENCES: This will affect all transactions for a specific account.

• ACCOUNT REGISTER > upper right GEAR icon > EDIT ACCOUNT DETAILS > ONLINE SERVICES tab > check the box for DON'T UPDATE MEMO WHEN DOWNLOADING > OK.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.