Quicken 2017 on my new computer

Quicken 2017 on my old computer is working fine and data is still there. However, I purchased new computer and want on it. I have the installation disk and started there this morning, but problems shortly after installation led me to the community board.

Attempts have proved futile, as I continue to receive the glimpse of my data and the Quicken 2017 menu and then it goes to the dreaded white box. I have spent the day going through all the posts and have done the copying of the quicken.ini file, unistall, reinstall, updates, patches, etc.

Just wondering if there is anything new that people have found that works.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26

This is a well known issue and there are quite a few post threads regarding it in this Community forum.

It appears that sometime within the last couple of years Quicken implemented a change in how our online Quicken.com accounts register/authorize new installations of software on our computers. The change that was made is not compatible with non-subscription QWin products (QWin 2014-2017). Since Support for QWin 2017 ended in 2020, Quicken was under no obligation to take QWin 2014-2017 softwares into account when making this change. And since about 2 yrs have passed and this issue still exists it's a pretty safe bet that Quicken is not going to be expending any engineering resources to address it.

There are two methods I am aware of that some have said were successful for them in getting a new installation of QWin 2017 to work, again.

1. One is to find, copy and paste the last Quicken.ini file from your previous computer over the new Quicken.ini file that your new QWin 2017 installation created in your current computer. NOTE: If it works for you, be sure to keep a copy of that old computer Quicken.ini file so you can paste it, again, into your installation on your new computer should you ever need it, again..
    2. The other one is to go to https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html and see if that option works for you.

Neither of these options works for everyone. Some have said one or the other works but many have said neither works.

If neither works for you, then your only option to access your data file, again, is to purchase a Subscription of Quicken Classic. You can often save some money on the Subscription cost by doing an online search of retailers who have sales (all you need from them is the activation code). Sometimes Quicken.com will also have nicely discounted sales for new subscribers, too.

If after the 1st year of the Subscription, if you choose not to renew, you can let it expire. Then it can still be used manually (no online services)…except for Starter edition which will become read-only. You should note, however, that your Quicken screen will have banners taking up about 20%-25% of the view reminding you to renew. Those banners can only be removed by resubscribing.

Did this answer your question?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• I have tried the 2 things you mentioned. I actually tried installing without wifi and updating using the patch i had downloaded and using my old Quicken.INI file. When I try to run without wifi, instead of the blank box, the box tells me I need to connect to internet. I am really only using Quicken as a glorified checkbook as I do not download banking stuff nor do budget from it. I feel like there must be a line in some program to change so that I can use. Thanks for trying to help though.

• Boatnmaniac

I feel like there must be a line in some program to change so that I can use.

Sorry that these things did not work for you.

Unfortunately, since QWin 2017 is no longer supported there will not be any changes of any kind that Quicken Inc. will be making to accommodate QWin 2017. So, if you plan to wait for Quicken to fix it you will be waiting forever.

It is my understanding that at this point your only option to be able to view and use your data file is to order Quicken Classic Subscription. Since you only use it manually, I would suggest buying the Deluxe edition which you can continue to use manually after the 1st year subscription expires. Do not buy the Starter edition or it will become read only and you will need to resubscribe for a 2nd year.

If you buy a subscription, you have up to 30 days to try it out and if you do not like or want it you can cancel it, no questions asked, for a full refund. Do not exceed 30 days to cancel because if you do then the cancellation policy will no longer apply.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

@Boatnmaniac , Since the OP is not using any download or online features, wouldn't Quicken 2013 work in this situation?

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but then they have to "get to there", and the only way to do that would be a QIF export/import. That can be quite task.

Here is where one might get Quicken 2013 Deluxe (the last version of Quicken that didn't require a Quicken Id):

Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)

And here what I know about trying the QIF export/import:

ChangeTransfers changes transfers in a QIF file to categories. - QuicknPerlWiz

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac

Thanks for bringing this option up. I was going to mention it myself but I had to step away from my draft for a while. When I came back to finish it up I plumb forgot to add that option in. I'm glad that you and @Chris_QPW piped in here on this.

This discussion has been closed.