Resolution for TD Banking downloads: switch to "TD Bank Web Connect" from "TD Bank Online Banking"

Reposting this from a problem thread I started so that it may be more visible and help anyone else still not able to download…

FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK! 😎

In brief: switch Financial Institution from "TD Bank Online Banking" (direct connect) to "TD Bank Web Connect".

My Steps:

Edit each TD account in Quicken and deactivate online services, then go to the General Tab and clear out the current financial institution value (remove "TD Bank Online Banking").

When done, edit any TD account, activate online services. When searching, put in TD - followed by a a space, because by itself "TD" yields yields no hits. Select TD Bank Web Connect.

Enter your credentials in the TD web form that opens in your browser.

Link your accounts from TD to Quicken accounts.

Voila!

In my case, it didn't download transactions from the beginning of time, it only downloaded transactions since my last successful download at the beginning of August, so it was perfect for me.

Hope it works for anyone else having issues…

(I don't know which method is supposed to be used, but this is the only one working for me, so I'll use it.)

Comments

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭

CAUTION: Go to your OPENING BALANCE line item in your accounts and confirm/adjust the value - in my case, it replaced 0.00 with a value from a downloaded transactions, throwing off ending balances!

• Peg
    Peg Member ✭✭

Thank you drew2u!

That worked for me!

• mitch101
    mitch101 Member ✭✭

No sure I understand. Does this fix delete all transactions prior to this month? Will I lose years of TD Bank transactions just to be able to update this month's?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI: What many people do before changing/reactivating the connection method for a Spending Account (checking, savings, credit card, etc.) is to enter and save the dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction into the Memo field. Then one can always know when the dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction was changed and what needs to be done to correct it.

I did this proactively for everyone of my Spending Accounts a long time ago and what a godsend that has sometimes been.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• mitch101
    mitch101 Member ✭✭

I tried the fix (deactivate TD Online Svcs, add new accounty TD Web Connect) after backing up, and got the same blank "Add Account" popup that stopped me before. Was able to restore the backed up QDF file at least, but this three-week old problem is going on four weeks now.

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭

Boatmaniac - that's a great suggestion, and one sorely needed - along with a bug fix from Team Quicken to prevent this from happening!

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭

Mitch101 - sorry this didn't work for you. If you're seeing a blank "Add Account" screen, it sounds like something else is going on. Maybe you can start a dedicated thread and share some sanitized images showing the screens you're seeing? It almost sounds like your installation is broken if the dialog is blank…

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭

Thank you—This works finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone that knows what they are doing

• RHCaston
    RHCaston Member ✭✭

Thank you! This worked for me!

• Thanks for this fix, it resolved my issue downloading TD bank transactions. All my accounts remained in tact, no double downloading of older transactions. Finally!

• JerryD
    JerryD Member ✭✭

NOTE: I already had my 4 TD accounts set up as TD Bank Web Connect. Yesterday (before I read this) I tried this:

1. Selected my TD Checking account (selecting any of them probably would have worked) from the ACCOUNTS list.
    2. Clicked the Gear icon at the top right of the account transactions pane and selected Edit Account Details.
    3. Selected the Online tab and clicked the [Reset Account] button.
    4. You will be prompted on how to proceed, and will ultimately have to log into your onlinebanking.tdbank.com account.
    5. You will then have to reapprove the connection to Quicken to any or all of your TD accounts.
    6. Once you've completed the process you're told you will be returned to Quicken, but that has NEVER worked. Wait about 10-15 seconds, and if (when) you're not returned to Quicken, just [Alt][Tab] back to it.
    7. Quicken will then reconnect to TD Bank and resync your accounts.

I'm VERY HAPPY to report that it resynced only transactions that had NOT been previously been downloaded, and correctly matched all the entries I had manually entered as Matched.

It's worth noting that I had tried this MANY times in the past SEVERAL WEEKS, and although it always reported that the accounts had successfully been activated, that was wrong.

Although I will say I wish Quicken had been a LITTLE more proactive on reporting this problem, I've been using Quicken for over 20 years, and their support has ALWAYS been outstanding!

Hope that helps.

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭

Interesting, @JerryD … you already had Web Connect as your FI, but still couldn't download after it was reported to be resolved and had to reset for it to work, whereas many in this thread had Online Banking (which is a direct connection) as our FI and could only download by switching FI to Web Connect. I really would love to know which method is preferred by Quicken and TD…

• jgoodgravure
    jgoodgravure Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

8/28/24 This fix worked for me too although it took two attempts to get all of my accounts!

Thank You for the citizen research and instructions it is very much appreciated.

• jb357
    jb357 Member

When I go to account Details in Quicken, then the General Tab, I see it states "Financial Institution TD Bank Online Banking". But it does not highlight or let me delete that parameter. What am I doing wrong? I don't see how to delete that parameter.

Thanks much for any replies!

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Back up your data file. Then in Account Details on the Online Services tab click on Deactivate. Once Deactivated, you can remove the financial institution information on the General tab.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• spyac
    spyac Member

The last entry for changing to web connect was the final fix Thank You for the info

• Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭✭

YES! That works. Thanks so much!

Ken

• starpal
    starpal Member ✭✭✭

Is Direct Connect still available at TD? I prefer DC in order to be able to make BillPay payments from my Quicken register.

Also, is it possible to have both DC and EWC at TD, using the DC for the accounts I would use for BillPay?

Thank you!

• drew2u
    drew2u Member ✭✭✭

That's been an unanswered question all along. When TD started to have download issues, none of the alerts posted by Quicken staff noted if it was for Direct Connect or for Web Connect, so I took it as ALL methods were broken. Then when it was announced it was restored, my previous method of Direct Connect still refused to work and as a test, I switched to Web Connect and found it worked.

@Quicken Abhishek @Quicken Alyssa @Quicken Jasmine could one of you please weigh-in on the TD connect methods and when or if Direct Connect will be restored? Thanks.

• Thank you all for your helpful resolutions. I had tried to deal with the issue a few weeks ago, but just couldn't get it to work, got very frustrated it and put it aside to wait it out. Today, using drew2u's post/instructions on the 26th, I went thru on my first try!! And only 1 of my 5 accounts had the opening balance change - I'm counting this a a good day! I have been a Quicken user for close to 20years, if not longer, and I love the product - it keeps a level of sanity to my life. So thank you all again.

• Sep 1, 2024 Thank you Drew2U….I discovered this on my own just as you did. Query as to why support warned against doing this….over and over they told me to wait until it's fixed. I gave up and did precisely what you did. I had three TD accounts and had to do this several times but finally, finally, finally….got my TD connection restored and it has worked for a week now….perfectly! Again, Quicken Support….why didn't YOU figure this out and inform us on what to do? Shameful!

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭

I tried your fix and WEB Connect works. However, I have to log on TD each time and download to Quicken to get mytransactions. The One Step Update in Quicken does not bring over any transactions.

Is this the way Web connect is supposed to work?

At least I can go on line to TD and download the transactions.

• shoneinc
    shoneinc Member ✭✭
    edited September 14

Thank you Drew2U for steering me in the right direction. I had to set up manually, and insert the beginning balance, etc. etc etc BUT the key was using TD Bank Web Connect interface. I asked help from TD Bank before and they treated me like I was from Mars. Told me to check with Quicken. I checked with the community first and thank you for that.

• Thank you Drew2U. Brilliant! Once I changed the institution name to TD Bank Web Connect everything started work properly.