Checking account balance in Sidebar does not match Account Balance in Quicken or On-line Balance

Anybody else seeing this on their Quicken Classic Business & Personal?

Online Balance, Current Balance both match when I log into my checking account ($17,353.94). The Balance on the Side Bar is totally hosed. I have validated, Super Validate and Copied to new quicken file. No Luck.

Answers

• Hello @Geno J,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? Did it start immediately after a program update? Is this affecting just the one account, or are you seeing this happen with multiple/all accounts in your Quicken file? Do you keep your Quicken file directly on your local hard drive? Is the file synced with any cloud services, such as OneDrive, iCloud, or Dropbox? When you click the settings gear at the right hand side of the accounts side bar, is it set to show the Current Balance, or the Ending Balance? Does changing which balance it shows make any difference (for instance, does it reflect correctly for one, but wrong for the other)?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the currency setting for your Checking account and what's the setting of "Home Currency" (in Tools / Currency List)? Are they different (not both US-$)?

• Geno J
    Geno J Member ✭✭✭

There is no place I can find to see the currency type for my checking account.
    Cannot find any way to look at Currency List as it is not in my Tools Menu.

• Geno J
    Geno J Member ✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina

I noticed this over a year ago, so I don't know what version it was when I noticed it or if it started immediately after an update.

This is affecting only my checking account. All other accounts under Banking a right on the money.

I keep my Quicken file directly on my local hard drive and do not sync with any other services.

I have the Account Sidebar set to show the Current Balance.

Both Current and ending balance display incorrectly in the Account Sidebar when I toggle from one to the other.
    The balances under the register are all correct.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right, there is and never has been a way to display the currency selection of a single account,

• not in the Edit Account Details dialog
    • not in the Account List

You can only deduce an account's currency by looking at the currency symbol shown with the account's balance in the Account Sidebar or when looking at the account register's bottom line Current Balance or Ending Balance amounts.

The Account Sidebar Total is the sum of all account balances multiplied by the currency exchange rate in effect.

You are using the HB&R feature level. For feature levels higher than Starter Edition, the Tools Menu should contain the Currency List … unless you have never enabled "Multicurrency support" in Edit / Preferences / Calendar and currency.

In the Currency List, by default, the US currency entry should show "$" as the Currency Symbol and it should be marked as the "Home currency".
    There should not be multiple currency entries using the same currency symbol. For example, use "$" for USD, "C$" for Canada.

With multicurrency support enabled, reports will show the selected currency in the report title.
    If all transactions shown in the report are of the same currency, that currency name is shown, e.g., "in US Dollars". Otherwise "converted to US Dollars" will be shown and all transaction amounts are converted to US Dollar at the exchange rates listed in the Currency List. The report currency defaults to Home Currency or whichever currency you select in the report's customization dialog.

The long and the short of all of this is:
    If the different account balance, as shown in the Account Sidebar, cannot be explained by the setting of Current Balance or Ending Balance, as asked for by @Quicken Kristina , then I can only assume an incorrect currency setting for the checking account. Something other than US$. And that's what I'm trying to find out.
    So, if you would, please enable Multicurrency support and then review the Currency List's US Dollar entry: Needs to have an exchange rate of 1.00 and be marked as Home Currency (unless you'd rather use a different home currency).

• Geno J
    Geno J Member ✭✭✭

UKR,

For the record I have never turned on Multi-Currency setting but will do it now to help with debugging.

I turned it on and have attached a screen shot to the thread.

Thanks,

Geno

• Geno J
    Geno J Member ✭✭✭

Can anyone else offer any suggestions on how to rectify this bug?

• Thank you for your replies @Geno J,

Since it doesn't seem to be caused by an incorrect setting/currency, then the most likely cause would be a file specific issue. To start troubleshooting for file issues, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps. 

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate. 

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Geno J
    Geno J Member ✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina

I backed up my file and Validated per your instructions, closed the log, waited more than 5 seconds and reopened file - No Change

I then Super Validated per your instructions, closed the log, waited more than 5 seconds and reopened file - No Change.

For the record I had done both of these steps prior to posting at this website. I'm open to suggestions.

It makes me wonder what else might be lurking in quicken that's going to come out and bite me?

Gene