Update #16 from Quicken Marcus

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    don said:

Any new Quicken needs to offer a proper export facility. By proper, I mean that it must 1) be complete (all info should be exported) and 2) have documented file formats - so that, should the day return when Intuit stops supporting the Mac community, people can move to better products.

In the last go-round, many people felt burned because exports were incomplete and file formats had to be reverse-engineered in order to use competitive products. The result was that people who suffered through the conversion to a competitive product will never forget that extra pain and will not let themselves take the risk of being burned again. This point is likely to appear in product reviews as well unless you take steps to explicitly address it with a proper export facility.

I appreciate that selective export and undocumented file formats have advantages. But recognize that they have disadvantages that, because of your history, outweigh the advantages.

Let Quicken compete on features and performance, not on lock-in that will only cost Intuit as people seek to avoid any potential for missteps of the past, however unlikely you believe them to be.

Marcus,

1) You don't need a standard file format. You just need to document whatever format you're using.

2) Your statement that "... any SQL editor can open it" makes no sense. SQL is a language; it does not define an implementation. There is no general interoperability between SQL tools and databases unless you're saying Quicken has a public SQL API (which I strongly doubt). Perhaps you meant to say "XML"? That would make more sense. But even then, you still need to supply documentation on your XML structure, attributes, etc. (For that matter, even if your SQL statement was true, you'd need to document the SQL tables, fields, etc.)
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You're right that bill pay is important.  Intuit just paid $360M for Check that offers really cool bill pay functionality so obviously as a company we think it's really important.  

However, we know exactly how many people are using bill pay in Quicken (it's not market research) since many of you pay us for the privilege (or you pay your bank) and it is a sizable number of people but it's relatively small compared to the number of people that use the product for investments.   However, I fully understand the benefit of having bill pay all in one place and think it makes a lot of sense but I want to make it clear that we didn't decide to "remove" it from Quicken Mac.   Since this is a product written from scratch it was never there in the first place.   We can't just copy the code from Quicken 2007 and plug it into Quicken 2015 because that doesn't work.   We have to add this capability from scratch to fit into our new code base.  It is also not something you want us to just cram into a release.  Testing alone could take months to make sure we cover every use case and error condition.  We absolutely cannot screw up moving your money.

I'm happy people are so passionate about Quicken.  All we can do is to continue working away on the product and you can decide whether it's the right product for you or not.  You vote with your money and we'll survive or die based on that vote.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    don said:

Any new Quicken needs to offer a proper export facility. By proper, I mean that it must 1) be complete (all info should be exported) and 2) have documented file formats - so that, should the day return when Intuit stops supporting the Mac community, people can move to better products.

In the last go-round, many people felt burned because exports were incomplete and file formats had to be reverse-engineered in order to use competitive products. The result was that people who suffered through the conversion to a competitive product will never forget that extra pain and will not let themselves take the risk of being burned again. This point is likely to appear in product reviews as well unless you take steps to explicitly address it with a proper export facility.

I appreciate that selective export and undocumented file formats have advantages. But recognize that they have disadvantages that, because of your history, outweigh the advantages.

Let Quicken compete on features and performance, not on lock-in that will only cost Intuit as people seek to avoid any potential for missteps of the past, however unlikely you believe them to be.

We just use Apple's Core Data which I think is a SQL lite implementation.  Does that make more sense?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    CyborgOne said:

First off: Congratulations on shipping this new version! I've been following these "Quicken Marcus" updates for 2 years now, and have remained hopeful that the end product would live up to our expectations. Many of us recognize just what a huge undertaking this has been, and greatly appreciate the time, effort, and attention to detail which Marcus and team have brought to the table. Kudos, all - thank you for the work!

Of course, there are obviously a few (?) concerns to be raised:

1. The $75 purchase price (with no upgrade pricing) is obviously a bit steep for many. Understandable, but it would still be nice to recognize those who may have purchased Quicken Essentials, and offer them even a token rebate on the purchase of this (distinct, but still related) app.
    2. There is no indication within the current Quicken 2007 version(s) that this new product exists. "Check for Updates" merely reports "Quicken 2007 16.1.4 is currently the newest version available." This is arguably "correct", but quite misleading. Strong suggestion to enhance that version checking in the older app to notify users of Quicken 2015 for Mac availability (clearly indicating it is a separate, paid upgrade) - ideally, with a link to the product page, to obtain more information.
    3. Many of the reviews I've read so far are positively slamming the product - most certainly without any direct experience with it. This is somewhat understandable ("Intuit abandons us for 8 years, and then gives us only another limited-feature version??!!"), but I hope the development team recognizes the frustration on the part of these users, and will clearly indicate when features have been re-added, to make this a full-featured product once again.
    4. Related: Allowing (potential?) users to vote on our "favorite new feature" is nice - but it should be clarified that ALL these features are already-planned additions to ensure the product is as full-featured as possible, and that voting merely helps to prioritize their order of implementation. (Uh, correct?)
    5. That being said, many of the positive reviews (in the "What people are saying" section of the product page) really seem to reek of astroturfing: The use of the full product name in each case, the awkward (but very marketing-speak-ish) phrasing of the praise, etc. Plus, how is so much input available immediately after the product launch - even prior to it showing up for sale on the App Store? I'm hoping these glowing endorsements are from members of the (external) beta test team ... but this assumption seems questionable. I'd strongly caution the marketing team to ensure that all such featured testimonials are genuine, to avoid any risk of an inevitable (and possibly incredibly damning) backlash.
    6. Even after reading all the product information, I'm still unclear on the syncing features (one of the most-critical features for this product): Will I be able to enter transactions on both my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad - and have them all integrated into the "main" registers in my account file? How is this syncing performed: Is it via a separate sync server (convenient and always available, but a potential security risk), or only peer-to-peer when on the same network sub-net (secure, but MUCH less convenient)?
    All that being said (whew!): I will be purchasing this new version as soon as possible, and taking it for a spin - hoping that I do NOT need to take advantage of the 60-day money-back guarantee. I'm thrilled that our interest in the product seems to have been genuinely considered, and has helped shape the form of the final result. I am hopeful we will soon see complete feature parity with the Windows version - perhaps even some Mac-only enhancements, to take advantage of OS X Yosemite?

Once again: A huge THANK YOU to Quicken Marcus & team, for this effort. Please ignore the overly-vitriolic responses from the community at large, and recognize that there is a large base of current and potential users, who greatly appreciate the work being done. Please continue to support and enhance this product on our platform of choice.
    Quicken 2015 has calculators embedded in the register.  Just hit the "=" sign or click on the calculator icon to bring it up.  It doesn't look like a calculator but I think it's actually better.  It's more of a readout of your calculation.  I'm not sure I fully understand your question regarding the categories but we do support expense and income categories and also nested categories and have a category report so I think we should be able to do what you're asking.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    lemketron said:

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!

What we've found is that it really depends a lot on a person's data.  If you don't have investments I think things import pretty well for the features we have.  

At high level we do not support importing of attachments or budgets.  As many have mentioned the budget feature in Quicken 2015 is still very basic and is geared more for spot checking one's spending vs trying to plan for a years budget like a business would.  We also will not bring over explicit lot assignments in investment accounts.  We also don't support ESPP or Incentive Stock Options so some of this data is lost when importing from Quicken Windows.  And we don't yet have things like loan amortization, debt reduction, retirement planner, home inventory and other features like that so of course none of this gets transferred either.

When it comes to investments your mileage may vary and it is really dependent on your data.  Our beta testers were amazing and helped us get investments importing pretty well for most people but it's not perfect.  We do not yet have the concept of a single mutual fund account so people with these accounts will probably get wrong balances.  Also clearly for some we still aren't consuming their investment data right.

In any case, importing is very complicated and we will continue to work on improving it. In fact we just made a bunch of fixes that we'll release shortly.  To give you a sense of what types of things we have to deal with we just fixed a bug that has to deal with Quicken Essentials files that have categories identified as both a parent and child category.  This is impossible to create using the software so no one should have categories that are structured this way but a number of people did.  Not sure how that happened but we have to write special code to handle it.  There are lots of things like this that prevent us from getting it perfect but we continue to work on making it better.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Quicken Marcus and the Dev Team -
        I've said it before, and I'll reiterate here ... Thank you for your time and effort.  I feel the need to post here because I would like to address the animosity detected in some posts.  I can certainly understand the frustration and disappointment experienced by some, but if the product is not to your liking, just return it.
        I am especially perplexed at the arguments of some; to wit:  "This product is terrible, and they wouldn't even give me a free copy"!  Sounds like the spoiled college kid complaining that the  "food at school tastes terrible ...  and the portions are so small!"  
        I for one am willing to give the Dev Team the benefit of the doubt.  I don't even think they were 100% happy with the "premature" release of the product, but when they say that we WILL be happy with the product after 6 months, I, optimistically, believe them.  The investment entry/edit draft they presented to us "Betans" was extremely heartening, and I fully expect manual entry of investment data w/i the next. 6 months.
        Every time I have a problem with a Mac product (and those are few and far between), I just smile and think how glad I am that I'm not using a PC!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    don said:

Marcus, Yes, thanks for the explanation!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Marcus,

I am very easy going about this. If you guys would add one or two big features a year, I would be quite pacified. However, Essentials (now called Quicken Mac 2015) is still just very basic, though I do appreciate the mobile synching. 2007 to 2015 (sounds like 8 years to me). Please start supporting the Mac community again. Thanks.

The old version of Quicken Essentials did not display investment transactions.  Quicken for Mac 2015 does.  To me, that does not support a description of QfM 2015 as a ""new" version of Essentials".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    don said:

To be precise, that's "SQLite" - http://www.sqlite.org.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?

Thank you very much. Now one thing in my case it is only around 1650 transactions.
  • Gasport
    Gasport Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I am one who did not use bill pay when I was a Windows user of Quicken.  My bank just happens to have a decent bill pay feature and I would rather deal with my local bank than have to deal with Intuit if something went astray with a payment.   I would agree with Marcus here that Intuit has to get this one right before adding the feature to Q 2105.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Quicken Marcus and the Dev Team -
        I've said it before, and I'll reiterate here ... Thank you for your time and effort.  I feel the need to post here because I would like to address the animosity detected in some posts.  I can certainly understand the frustration and disappointment experienced by some, but if the product is not to your liking, just return it.
        I am especially perplexed at the arguments of some; to wit:  "This product is terrible, and they wouldn't even give me a free copy"!  Sounds like the spoiled college kid complaining that the  "food at school tastes terrible ...  and the portions are so small!"  
        I for one am willing to give the Dev Team the benefit of the doubt.  I don't even think they were 100% happy with the "premature" release of the product, but when they say that we WILL be happy with the product after 6 months, I, optimistically, believe them.  The investment entry/edit draft they presented to us "Betans" was extremely heartening, and I fully expect manual entry of investment data w/i the next. 6 months.
        Every time I have a problem with a Mac product (and those are few and far between), I just smile and think how glad I am that I'm not using a PC!

I completely agree with aleagle... being on the beta team was a fantastic experience and just knowing that the dev team was giving their all to give us a product we can be proud of was worth all the time and effort we put into the product.  Yes, we didn't get everything we wanted but it is a great foundation that I truly believe the dev team will build upon.  I too am amazed that the same ones that wrongly criticize the dev team's efforts are the same ones that are complaining that they didn't get a "free" issue.  I am not using my copy as my sole app but am running alongside my 2007 until the updates come along that make me want to use it exclusively and that will be the price/share/security which is on their top priority 1 hit list.  I am looking forward to that and hope it is sooner rather than later.  Thanks Marcus and all the great effort the dev team put into this.  It was a major challenge.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I'm converting from Quicken Mac 2007 and so far, all info came through fine. I tried Essentials in past and it was inadequate, but 2015 looks close enough to 2007 functionality to be worth using assuming functions get added quickly. Since Quicken 2015 is based on Essentials, why is the format of the transaction page changed? Given all the features people are missing that need to be added, why waste time making the format less space efficient? Even with a large monitor, I cannot easily have two registers open at the same time to compare and correct downloaded transactions that involve transfers. Essentials transaction page format far better, more space efficient, more readable than 2015 format.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Marcus & team,

First of all, thank you very much for all the hard work you and your team are doing, not just on the development front but also on the engagement with the user community. It is refreshing to see a team so eager to connect, listen and act accordingly.

I just bought Quicken 2015 and will be trying it over the next few days. I am doing it more out of appreciation for your work than having found new functionalities (today) that merit the upgrade from QE.

This leads me to my key feedback, I think your marketing team made a mistake in deciding the launch approach. You have been very open that this is not yet the finished product. You could have launched a free (or $9.99) 6-month license to start using the new software while the rest is being developed. Then offer a reasonable price to upgrade to the full license. You could also offer a full license that increases its price every month as new functionalities are added. Then people can decide when to make a commitment to the new release.

i know this would hit your bottom line but it would have a very positive impact on the perception from users and deal with a lot of the 1 star ratings that you are getting in Amazon or the App Store.

In any case, thank you for giving us a path forward. Looking forward to the evolution of the product! Keep up the great work.

I agree w/ Quicken Marcus - Quicken Essentials was never given a fair shake.  It was a "basic" program (what part of "essentials" do the naysayers NOT understand).  Intuit has consistently stated that it would strive to offer more robust features, but when looked at in detail, it was determined that they could not just build a program on top of QE or QW or QM2007 or even QFLM.  QM2015 is a totally re-written application.  Having been a Quicken user for years (and a beta tester for several products) I believe that Quicken Marcus and the Dev Team picked up the fumbled football and developed a program that could eventually accept all of the features requested by users - it's just going to take some time and patience.  If Marcus says the wanted features will be in a future iteration, then I am optimistic that they will be!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?

I have this same problem - each time the sync runs (from the refresh icon in the lower left corner), QM2015 tries to sync 2500+ transactions - and sometimes I haven't changed a single transaction, or only a few.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I am missing the bill pay feature in QM2015 (I am a recent convert from QW2014 Premier).  However, I think the problem is more difficult since, when I manually make a payment on my bank's website, the scheduled payment doesn't show up in QM2015 on the next sync.  Do I also need to manually enter the payment I made at my bank into QM2015?  If so, that is pretty inefficient.
  • tobysimmons
    tobysimmons Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I bought the 2015 Mac product today and found that transactions that were transfers in 2013 for Windows dont come across properly so two accounts don't have the right balances. Runs kind of slowly too, and auto updateing of prices can't be stopped.  When is the first update of the program planned.  For now I'm going to keep using 2013 for Windows in a VM on my Mac.

This is one of my greatest fears because I have several accounts that include numerous transfers between accounts over the last 20+ years. Can someone from Intuit answer this question regarding transfers being correctly imported from Quicken Deluxe 2014 for Windows?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Quicken developers and product management,

I've considered requesting a refund for QMac2015 but have decided not to.

I won't be using QMac as my main finance tracking application but stick with QWindows2013 and successor versions until the promised updates to QMac can handle my general finance needs and my investing needs (including transfer transactions, cash flow reporting). I'll let my purchase $$ be one of the funding incentives for Intuit to keep improving the application on Mac OS. I do plan on checking how things work everytime Intuit issues an update to QMac to see if my needs are closer to being met. I'll give feedback on these releases also.

Running Quicken Windows on a virtual Win7 system is so fast and convenient once the Win7 license was paid for that continuing to use it until QMac can match the functional and reporting needs I have is the easiest path for me. For anyone else interested in this approach, I use VirtualBox VM software on Mac as it's free; I would expect that Fusion and Parallels would be equally satisfactory but have not compared them.

Final thought, I used to do bill-pay with Quicken but no longer have that need.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I bought the 2015 Mac product today and found that transactions that were transfers in 2013 for Windows dont come across properly so two accounts don't have the right balances. Runs kind of slowly too, and auto updateing of prices can't be stopped.  When is the first update of the program planned.  For now I'm going to keep using 2013 for Windows in a VM on my Mac.

The term, transfer, covers many sins.  I participated in the Quicken 2015 Beta Test.  I use Quicken Premier 2014 running in a VMware Fusion Windows XP virtual machine and imported my database into Quicken 2015 multiple times.

If the transfers that concern you involve the movement of cash from one account to another, you shouldn't experience any problems.  The transfers transfer transactions are imported correctly.  However, you will need to modify the register of each account to display the transfer column.

If the transfers that concern you involve the movement of securities between investment accounts, you will run into some problems.  The "Remove Shares" and "Add Shares" transactions will be present; however, the lot information will be wrong.  The lots will be identified by the date of the "Add Shares" transaction instead of the date on which the security was acquired.

If the transfer involves bonds or an investment that is treated as a bond by Quicken, the "Add Shares" transaction will only record 1/100th of the shares being transferred.  There will be a "hidden" transaction for the remainder of the shares recorded on the date that the account receiving the shares was created.

I spent far too much of my time during the testing repeatedly importing my Quicken Premier 2014 data into Quicken 2015.  If the transfers that concern you involve securities, the current instance of Quicken 2015 is not the product you want.  I would add that the import process will help find ancient erroneous entries in Quicken that need to be corrected.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

TW - A question, does this mainly happen for the first sync of the day or all syncs. Mine seems to do this the first time I do it everyday but subsequent syncs seem to work okay. Also, I do my syncs by going to preferences and going to the Mobile sync tab and clicking on the button there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    JohnDavis said:

@WolfpackFan You're right.  It is different with each sync method.  In the Preferences / Mobile and Alerts tab, pressing "sync now" goes much quicker (although I still get an "uploading transactions" of nearly 100 transactions). Pressing the refresh icon in the lower left hand corner seems to do the additional step of connecting to my "financial institution [sic]" (since I connect to more than one), and then I get the 2500+ transaction upload message and it takes quite a bit longer to sync.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016

Here are the top usability issues I have with QM2015 now that I have played with it a bit:
    1. Missing bill pay. In QW2014 (and many previous Windows versions), I could schedule an online payment with my bank by simply putting "Send" as the check number field and entering the transaction information. I think this feature should be added to QM2015.
    2. Syncing between mobile and QM2015 isn't very reliable. I entered a transaction for a checking account on my iPhone, and it did not sync down to QM2015 on the next sync. I entered another transaction in QM2015
    3. Bill reminders look like duplicate entries. I have recurring online transactions that I have entered 10-28 days into my Quicken register for a given bank account. The bill reminder is also showing up in the register (artificially reducing the balance in that account), and I have to manually remove each reminder. Seems like if the corresponding transaction is already scheduled/entered, the reminder shouldn't be there.'
    4. Mobile balances are not matching my register. My register in QM2015 has the correct balances. But logging into the mobile app on my iPhone, several accounts are missing, and the ones that are there do not have the correct balance. I am trying a "reset cloud data" in QM2015 mobile and alerts settings to see if that helps.
    5. I miss the "dot" indicator from QW2014 (and previous) next to each account which indicates that that account has at least one downloaded transaction to accept. Right now, I need to click on each account or read the list of accounts in the download summary to see which accounts have downloaded transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Here are the top usability issues I have with QM2015 now that I have played with it a bit:

1. Missing bill pay. In QW2014 (and many previous Windows versions), I could schedule an online payment with my bank by simply putting "Send" as the check number field and entering the transaction information. I think this feature should be added to QM2015.
    2. Syncing between mobile and QM2015 isn't very reliable. I entered a transaction for a checking account on my iPhone, and it did not sync down to QM2015 on the next sync. I entered another transaction in QM2015
    3. Bill reminders look like duplicate entries. I have recurring online transactions that I have entered 10-28 days into my Quicken register for a given bank account. The bill reminder is also showing up in the register (artificially reducing the balance in that account), and I have to manually remove each reminder. Seems like if the corresponding transaction is already scheduled/entered, the reminder shouldn't be there.'
    4. Mobile balances are not matching my register. My register in QM2015 has the correct balances. But logging into the mobile app on my iPhone, several accounts are missing, and the ones that are there do not have the correct balance. I am trying a "reset cloud data" in QM2015 mobile and alerts settings to see if that helps.
    5. I miss the "dot" indicator from QW2014 (and previous) next to each account which indicates that that account has at least one downloaded transaction to accept. Right now, I need to click on each account or read the list of accounts in the download summary to see which accounts have downloaded transactions.
    Another issue I have noticed regarding #4 in my original answer above:  I can get a full sync with all accounts and correct balances initially, but then if I make changes in QM2015, resync, then my mobile app has far fewer accounts (although the accounts that do show up have correct balances).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

One other issue - the modal window for the "Preferences" window seems to overlay ALL windows on the Mac screen, not just the Quicken window (meaning if you bounce to different apps, the Preferences window overlays those windows too).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

There are only 2 issues that I, presently, would like to see in Quicken Mac 2015. I brought these up on the beta site, but I'm unsure as to whether they are currently in the pipeline and if so where in the pipeline; to wit:

Far and away the no. 1 issue I would like to see addressed is manual entry of investment data - entry/edit and other robust features previously attributed to QW and QM2007. The "v.2 Draft" shown to us betas was a very positive step in the right direction, but since the closure of the beta site, I've seen no mention of it.

Secondly, I would like to have asset accounts and liability accounts (not just bank accounts) available for inclusion in "Category Summary" reports. It was a feature of Quicken Essentials upon which I came to rely heavily, and it is sorely missed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Syncing is really sketchy to the mobile app.  If I do a "reset cloud data" in the Preferences / Mobile and Alerts window, my mobile app requires me to log in again, but I see my full data set with all information correct.  However, then, if I do a sync of any kind in QM2015, let it complete, then tap the refresh icon in the mobile app, about half my accounts disappear in the mobile app.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    lemketron said:

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!

Quicken Marcus, would you please elaborate on your statement above, "We do not yet have the concept of a single mutual fund account".  Most of my IRA's are mutual funds - hence the need for manual entry/editing of these securities; therefore, I need to know what procedure the Dev Team is considering for this feature.  Further, has the team made progress on the "v.2 draft" that was posted on the beta site?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Marcus & team,

First of all, thank you very much for all the hard work you and your team are doing, not just on the development front but also on the engagement with the user community. It is refreshing to see a team so eager to connect, listen and act accordingly.

I just bought Quicken 2015 and will be trying it over the next few days. I am doing it more out of appreciation for your work than having found new functionalities (today) that merit the upgrade from QE.

This leads me to my key feedback, I think your marketing team made a mistake in deciding the launch approach. You have been very open that this is not yet the finished product. You could have launched a free (or $9.99) 6-month license to start using the new software while the rest is being developed. Then offer a reasonable price to upgrade to the full license. You could also offer a full license that increases its price every month as new functionalities are added. Then people can decide when to make a commitment to the new release.

i know this would hit your bottom line but it would have a very positive impact on the perception from users and deal with a lot of the 1 star ratings that you are getting in Amazon or the App Store.

In any case, thank you for giving us a path forward. Looking forward to the evolution of the product! Keep up the great work.

Quicken Essentials was blasted because it didn’t offer feature parity with a product that was created 10 years prior. Intuit, effectively, said Mac users don’t need anything more powerful than a glorified checkbook. Quicken 2007 (’06, ’05, ...) were always behind the PC versions, but at least they dealt with portfolios, investment accounts, loans (both borrowing and lending), etc.

I’ve been limping along on QM 2007 because Quicken is useless to me without that support (I’ve never used bill pay, so I don’t miss that.) From what I’ve been reading, QM 2015 still won’t do as a replacement.

Coming out at a $75 price point says “This is a premium product”, not “We’re almost there...” I would happily give Intuit $75 for a fully featured replacement for QM 2007, but I’m not going to hand over that kind of cash for something that apparently still doesn’t (or might or might not) suit my needs. Especially given Intuit’s past history of their support for the Mac Quicken product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Thomas said:

Marcus,

I have recently upgraded from Essentials to Quicken for Mac 2015. Where do we channel information on problems that we find with the application.

A problem that i have discovered is that i cannot create a sub category that is different in its cash flow(expense or income) description than the parent category. The subcategory cash flow dims out and is not selectable as either expense or income but is forced to whatever the parent category is.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Thomas said:

Marcus,

I have recently upgraded from Essentials to Quicken for Mac 2015. Where do we channel information on problems that we find with the application.

Let me see if I understand: you want to have an expense category with a subcategory that's revenue (or visa versa)? Yeah, you can't do that. It wasn't possible in older versions of Quicken either. If you have such a contra account, can you not just enter the numbers as negative? Or can you just break it into a revenue category and an expense category, if you want them to show up in reports separately as revenues and expenses?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.