Update #16 from Quicken Marcus

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lemketron said:

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!

The more I see in Q2015MAC I think I'll stay with Q2013Windows till a later release.  Q2013Windows runs quite satisfactorily with Crossover or in my VirtualBox Win7 VM.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    digimo said:

Honestly, Quicken and Quickbooks have been around a long time for both Mac & Windows... But the fact that it has taken this long to even make a baby step is b.s! Most major software companies whom make solutions for the Mac & Windows platforms are generally equal in features. What is your excuse for making mac products so lackluster compared to the windows side. You should have been updating them both equally at the same time... If Mac was soo hard to write for then, maybe you should have just dropped the idea, why bother to string folks along waiting every year for a possibility of a new version. Other companies seem to have figured this out... I am very disappointed in your non caring of the Apple/Mac Marketplace. You should realize by now that Apple is no longer just a niche company... They are a global entity and I would put every staff member on that Quicken/Quickbooks for Mac projects to address this need. Adobe gets it, Microsoft gets it, why cant you? If going to tell me boo hoo its 20 years of quicken tech features that would have to be added back(?)... I say hire some new coders/programmers that know what they are doing not the current groundhog day one whom never advanced past 2007.... Prove me wrong make a equal to windows in features and performance products for the mac... Steve Jobs did not stand for excuses, Now look at Apple!....

Thanks Jacob; good balanced perspective...I am in the same position, not finding Q2015 meeting my needs, but am watching and waiting to see hopefully good things come forward.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JohnDavis said:

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?

That is not what is happening to me though. I am letting it go and it goes through the process of uploading transactions. Then the very next time I do a sync, it repeats the entire process re-uploading the same transactions. In between syncs, I've done nothing. It takes a couple of minutes each time to do this sync, but when I'm waiting to enter a transaction it seems like forever.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Marcus,

I recently upgraded to the new Quicken 2015 (2.0) product. I am confused regarding the instructions I received for conversion from Quicken Windows. In the instructions, it is stated that individual investment transactions are not converted when converting from Quicken Windows. I thought that was the whole purpose of Quicken 2015; to have robust investment accounts, including individual transactions. I am particularly confused because, as a beta participant, whenever I downloaded transactions to investment accounts, the individual transactions always appeared in my account. Why then, would not individual investment transactions come through in a conversion from Windows? I would appreciate an answer to my concerns. Thanks.

Michaelxjw

Hi Michaelxjw, first off, thank you for participating in our beta program as the feedback was a tremendous help in identifying/addressing issues with the product before we released. For the help file, it sounds incorrect since Quicken Windows investment transactions are supported when imported into Quicken Mac 2015. Is it the "Converting your data file" help topic that you're seeing this? If so, we are aware of the issue and will be correcting it in a future update. If not, let us know which help topic and we'll correct the wording.

As you recall from the beta, you need to download the Quicken Windows converter whose link can be found in the same dialog where it asks you to select file for conversion. The converter will, in turn, produce a QXF file which can then be imported into Quicken Mac 2015. Let us know if you run into any issues.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Marcus,

I recently upgraded to the new Quicken 2015 (2.0) product. I am confused regarding the instructions I received for conversion from Quicken Windows. In the instructions, it is stated that individual investment transactions are not converted when converting from Quicken Windows. I thought that was the whole purpose of Quicken 2015; to have robust investment accounts, including individual transactions. I am particularly confused because, as a beta participant, whenever I downloaded transactions to investment accounts, the individual transactions always appeared in my account. Why then, would not individual investment transactions come through in a conversion from Windows? I would appreciate an answer to my concerns. Thanks.

Michaelxjw

Quicken George, the incorrect help information Michaelxjw refers to is actually on the "What Gets Carried Over" page. I've reported this as a bug, along with a number of other errors which all appear to be language "carried over" from Essentials that is completely incorrect about Quicken 2015.

Specifically, that Help page says:
    "Data that is converted from your old file to Quicken 2015:
    • All transactions except transactions in investment accounts"

That's wrong! Transactions in investment account do get carried over.

And it continues:
    "Data that is not converted from your old file to Quicken 2015:
    • Investment account transactions: Quicken 2015 gives you the ability to track the total value of the holdings in your investment accounts, but it does not track individual transactions. When you convert your data, Quicken 2015 will create an account for each of the investment accounts you have in your old data file. But it will not carry over the transactions. Instead, the balance for the new account will be 0.00 until you do an online update, at which point Quicken 2015 will update the balance to the current balance for that account."

This is *completely wrong*! I'm not a Quicken Essentials user, but I believe this language describes how Essentials worked. It certainly doesn't describe Quicken 2015. Tracking investments is, of course, one of the signature changes from Essentials to Quicken 2015.

I hope all the erroneous information about Essentials and broken links in the Quicken 2015 Help file can be fixed in the near future, as it's especially confusing to users new to the program.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Marcus & team,

First of all, thank you very much for all the hard work you and your team are doing, not just on the development front but also on the engagement with the user community. It is refreshing to see a team so eager to connect, listen and act accordingly.

I just bought Quicken 2015 and will be trying it over the next few days. I am doing it more out of appreciation for your work than having found new functionalities (today) that merit the upgrade from QE.

This leads me to my key feedback, I think your marketing team made a mistake in deciding the launch approach. You have been very open that this is not yet the finished product. You could have launched a free (or $9.99) 6-month license to start using the new software while the rest is being developed. Then offer a reasonable price to upgrade to the full license. You could also offer a full license that increases its price every month as new functionalities are added. Then people can decide when to make a commitment to the new release.

i know this would hit your bottom line but it would have a very positive impact on the perception from users and deal with a lot of the 1 star ratings that you are getting in Amazon or the App Store.

In any case, thank you for giving us a path forward. Looking forward to the evolution of the product! Keep up the great work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    JohnDavis said:

Marcus - I posted this under a different topic, but hope you will read it here and respond. I installed Mac 2015 a couple of days ago and converted my QE file. I am having trouble with the mobile sync. I turned it on and every time I do a sync, it tries to upload ALL my transactions (several thousand) over and over. This causes my syncs to be very slow. If I turn mobile sync off, everything works fine but just as soon as I turn it on the slow syncs reappear. It is like it starts all over. For the time being I am just not doing mobile syncs or using the mobile app. But the problem is that is the main reason I moved from QE to Mac 2015 and spent the $75. Can someone look at this problem?

I have noticed something interesting with my problem. If I click on the sync icon in the lower left hand corner, that is when it seems to want to re-upload all my transactions. But if I go to Preferences and under the Mobile tab click on Sync, it seems to sync immediately. Strange. Also, for some reason, no transactions that I enter in the Mobile app ever get synced back to Mac 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Marcus,

Thanks so much for your new release. I used Quicken for years but switched to a Mac in 2009 and was never impressed with the Mac version. I just purchased QM2015 with high hopes. Starting completely from scratched the program worked flawlessly. Imported all the data from all my bank accounts; however, it only imported the last 90 days. There was no option to change the date(s) for the initial download. I tried to export a .cvs file from my online bank account but received the error that Quicken only imports .cvs files from Mint.com. Ninty days of transactions are just a drop in the bucket and I don't want to hand-jam thousands of transactions. I would appreciate any suggestions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Marcus,

Thanks so much for your new release. I used Quicken for years but switched to a Mac in 2009 and was never impressed with the Mac version. I just purchased QM2015 with high hopes. Starting completely from scratched the program worked flawlessly. Imported all the data from all my bank accounts; however, it only imported the last 90 days. There was no option to change the date(s) for the initial download. I tried to export a .cvs file from my online bank account but received the error that Quicken only imports .cvs files from Mint.com. Ninty days of transactions are just a drop in the bucket and I don't want to hand-jam thousands of transactions. I would appreciate any suggestions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Marcus, i am a first timer on your blog. I was a long time user of Windows, personally. I covered to Mac about 4 years ago. I am now a die hard Mac fan! I have been using Quicken since it's inception. I am currently using Quicken 2014 Premier for Windows. I did purchase Quicken Essentials and looked at it, but frankly is was awful. I just bought Quicken 2015 for Mac. It downloaded all my data that I exported to a QFX file and uploaded fine. Then I updated the accounts, which worked, but quit slowly. I am starting to run my tests on all of the pieces of the software that I use on a personal basis. I will have to say it just does not have the look at feel of 2014 Premier. The one item I was really astounded that was not available in the first new version was online balance reconciliation. I am truly glad that you have stood by the Mac World in getting Quicken to come back to the Mac users. I just hope we don't have to wait along time for some of the features of Windows to get into the Mac version! If so, I will continue to use Quicken for Windows and continue to wait for Quicken to catchup to the Mac World.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lemketron said:

I would like to know (without having to buy Q2015 to find out) what kinds of data will not import from a Q2007 file (with 20 years of history in it). Will all transactions import correctly and we'll just be missing certain reporting and other features? Or will the import lose data -- and if so will it warn us during the import process?

It sounds like you're on the right path, as some of the mobile sync features may be compelling enough to inspire people to upgrade, but we need to know what data may be lost in the import process. Thanks!

I run Quicken Premier 2014 in a VMware Fusion Windows XP virtual machine.  The support for investments in Quicken 2015 is limited.

The major problem involves the transfer of securities between accounts.  One problem with the "Add Shares" transaction in the account receiving the shares is that the lot identifier assigned to the shares is the date of the transfer instead of the date the shares were acquired.  This leads to a potential problem with a sale of the shares being classified as short-term instead of long-term in the Schedule D section of the Tax Schedule report.

A second problem involves the transfer of bonds between accounts.  I don't mean shares of a bond mutual fund but actual bonds like US Treasury Notes.  Quicken 2015 divides the number of shares being transferred by 100.  So,not only is the lot assigned the wrong date, the share price is incorrectly calculated.  Another misfeature is that Quicken 2015 creates hidden transactions to "correct" the number of shares held on the date that the account was opened.

If you have never transferred investments between accounts, you might not have a problem.  I have one account that has transactions going back to 1957 that was imported accurately without any issues.

I'm hoping that investment support will get corrected soon but I fear it may involve junking a significant portion of their current investment support.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marcus,

The amount of data you can download from your bank is controlled by your bank, not Quicken. I think most financial institutions limit downloads to 90, 180 or 365 days. No financial institution is going to give you 10 years of data. Do you have an older version of Quicken data with a longer financial history? If so, it may be worth the work to get that to import into Quicken 2015.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Marcus,

Michaelxjw

jacobs, thank you for pointing us to the help topic. I will bring it up with our team to address.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Marcus & team,

First of all, thank you very much for all the hard work you and your team are doing, not just on the development front but also on the engagement with the user community. It is refreshing to see a team so eager to connect, listen and act accordingly.

I just bought Quicken 2015 and will be trying it over the next few days. I am doing it more out of appreciation for your work than having found new functionalities (today) that merit the upgrade from QE.

This leads me to my key feedback, I think your marketing team made a mistake in deciding the launch approach. You have been very open that this is not yet the finished product. You could have launched a free (or $9.99) 6-month license to start using the new software while the rest is being developed. Then offer a reasonable price to upgrade to the full license. You could also offer a full license that increases its price every month as new functionalities are added. Then people can decide when to make a commitment to the new release.

i know this would hit your bottom line but it would have a very positive impact on the perception from users and deal with a lot of the 1 star ratings that you are getting in Amazon or the App Store.

In any case, thank you for giving us a path forward. Looking forward to the evolution of the product! Keep up the great work.

If "the suits" say "launch by 8/21, ready or not", then that's what happens. Don't shoot the messenger. :-D
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marcus & team,

Although... since Marcus is the Product Manager for Quicken, that title suggests he has input -- not necessarily decision-making control, but certainly input -- into the pricing of the product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CyborgOne said:

First off: Congratulations on shipping this new version! I've been following these "Quicken Marcus" updates for 2 years now, and have remained hopeful that the end product would live up to our expectations. Many of us recognize just what a huge undertaking this has been, and greatly appreciate the time, effort, and attention to detail which Marcus and team have brought to the table. Kudos, all - thank you for the work!

Of course, there are obviously a few (?) concerns to be raised:

1. The $75 purchase price (with no upgrade pricing) is obviously a bit steep for many. Understandable, but it would still be nice to recognize those who may have purchased Quicken Essentials, and offer them even a token rebate on the purchase of this (distinct, but still related) app.
    2. There is no indication within the current Quicken 2007 version(s) that this new product exists. "Check for Updates" merely reports "Quicken 2007 16.1.4 is currently the newest version available." This is arguably "correct", but quite misleading. Strong suggestion to enhance that version checking in the older app to notify users of Quicken 2015 for Mac availability (clearly indicating it is a separate, paid upgrade) - ideally, with a link to the product page, to obtain more information.
    3. Many of the reviews I've read so far are positively slamming the product - most certainly without any direct experience with it. This is somewhat understandable ("Intuit abandons us for 8 years, and then gives us only another limited-feature version??!!"), but I hope the development team recognizes the frustration on the part of these users, and will clearly indicate when features have been re-added, to make this a full-featured product once again.
    4. Related: Allowing (potential?) users to vote on our "favorite new feature" is nice - but it should be clarified that ALL these features are already-planned additions to ensure the product is as full-featured as possible, and that voting merely helps to prioritize their order of implementation. (Uh, correct?)
    5. That being said, many of the positive reviews (in the "What people are saying" section of the product page) really seem to reek of astroturfing: The use of the full product name in each case, the awkward (but very marketing-speak-ish) phrasing of the praise, etc. Plus, how is so much input available immediately after the product launch - even prior to it showing up for sale on the App Store? I'm hoping these glowing endorsements are from members of the (external) beta test team ... but this assumption seems questionable. I'd strongly caution the marketing team to ensure that all such featured testimonials are genuine, to avoid any risk of an inevitable (and possibly incredibly damning) backlash.
    6. Even after reading all the product information, I'm still unclear on the syncing features (one of the most-critical features for this product): Will I be able to enter transactions on both my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad - and have them all integrated into the "main" registers in my account file? How is this syncing performed: Is it via a separate sync server (convenient and always available, but a potential security risk), or only peer-to-peer when on the same network sub-net (secure, but MUCH less convenient)?
    All that being said (whew!): I will be purchasing this new version as soon as possible, and taking it for a spin - hoping that I do NOT need to take advantage of the 60-day money-back guarantee. I'm thrilled that our interest in the product seems to have been genuinely considered, and has helped shape the form of the final result. I am hopeful we will soon see complete feature parity with the Windows version - perhaps even some Mac-only enhancements, to take advantage of OS X Yosemite?

Once again: A huge THANK YOU to Quicken Marcus & team, for this effort. Please ignore the overly-vitriolic responses from the community at large, and recognize that there is a large base of current and potential users, who greatly appreciate the work being done. Please continue to support and enhance this product on our platform of choice.
    I'm a newbie here but a long-time Quicken (Windows) user since Intuit purchased Parsons Technology to own their program, MoneyCounts. MoneyCounts was a Windows 3.1 program built on C, as I recall, and was a fine product.  I have also beta-tested my employer's software and can attest to the painstaking methodology involved.  So I know this project was a major task.  I'd rather inquire about enhancements.  I hope some of the features under consideration include reporting by category groups; I classify categories by essential and lifestyle expense and income. I have set up such categories in the description field but I doubt that will work.  I miss the embedded calculators in the registers as well as register lines.  I hope the variety and cosmetics of the reports improves.  (I am a Windows 8 refugee, by the way.  We could not get that o/s to work in more than a week. I returned the machine and bought a Mac, was up and running in 5 minutes, and I'm very happy with it. )  Thank you for the new Quicken for Mac.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CyborgOne said:

First off: Congratulations on shipping this new version! I've been following these "Quicken Marcus" updates for 2 years now, and have remained hopeful that the end product would live up to our expectations. Many of us recognize just what a huge undertaking this has been, and greatly appreciate the time, effort, and attention to detail which Marcus and team have brought to the table. Kudos, all - thank you for the work!

1. The $75 purchase price (with no upgrade pricing) is obviously a bit steep for many. Understandable, but it would still be nice to recognize those who may have purchased Quicken Essentials, and offer them even a token rebate on the purchase of this (distinct, but still related) app.
    2. There is no indication within the current Quicken 2007 version(s) that this new product exists. "Check for Updates" merely reports "Quicken 2007 16.1.4 is currently the newest version available." This is arguably "correct", but quite misleading. Strong suggestion to enhance that version checking in the older app to notify users of Quicken 2015 for Mac availability (clearly indicating it is a separate, paid upgrade) - ideally, with a link to the product page, to obtain more information.
    3. Many of the reviews I've read so far are positively slamming the product - most certainly without any direct experience with it. This is somewhat understandable ("Intuit abandons us for 8 years, and then gives us only another limited-feature version??!!"), but I hope the development team recognizes the frustration on the part of these users, and will clearly indicate when features have been re-added, to make this a full-featured product once again.
    4. Related: Allowing (potential?) users to vote on our "favorite new feature" is nice - but it should be clarified that ALL these features are already-planned additions to ensure the product is as full-featured as possible, and that voting merely helps to prioritize their order of implementation. (Uh, correct?)
    5. That being said, many of the positive reviews (in the "What people are saying" section of the product page) really seem to reek of astroturfing: The use of the full product name in each case, the awkward (but very marketing-speak-ish) phrasing of the praise, etc. Plus, how is so much input available immediately after the product launch - even prior to it showing up for sale on the App Store? I'm hoping these glowing endorsements are from members of the (external) beta test team ... but this assumption seems questionable. I'd strongly caution the marketing team to ensure that all such featured testimonials are genuine, to avoid any risk of an inevitable (and possibly incredibly damning) backlash.
    6. Even after reading all the product information, I'm still unclear on the syncing features (one of the most-critical features for this product): Will I be able to enter transactions on both my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad - and have them all integrated into the "main" registers in my account file? How is this syncing performed: Is it via a separate sync server (convenient and always available, but a potential security risk), or only peer-to-peer when on the same network sub-net (secure, but MUCH less convenient)?
    All that being said (whew!): I will be purchasing this new version as soon as possible, and taking it for a spin - hoping that I do NOT need to take advantage of the 60-day money-back guarantee. I'm thrilled that our interest in the product seems to have been genuinely considered, and has helped shape the form of the final result. I am hopeful we will soon see complete feature parity with the Windows version - perhaps even some Mac-only enhancements, to take advantage of OS X Yosemite?

Once again: A huge THANK YOU to Quicken Marcus & team, for this effort. Please ignore the overly-vitriolic responses from the community at large, and recognize that there is a large base of current and potential users, who greatly appreciate the work being done. Please continue to support and enhance this product on our platform of choice.
    Please visit this web page to vote for the features you feel are most important for upcoming development: http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare   (scroll down to the lower half of the page). Improvements to Reports is one of the items on the list. There is a basic calculator in the registers now, but the QuickMath feature from Quicken 2007 (don't know if it's in the Quicken Windows version) which allows you to set up a key for calculating sales taxes is not -- I miss that in Quicken 2015, and hope it will get some developer love in the forthcoming updates!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Marcus & team,

I do not shoot the messenger. I think I make a clear distinction between Markus and Intuit's marketing team. I assume that the latter do not report to Markus and I do not know whether he agreed with that approach or not. Still, the fact that there are 23 1-star ratings (out of 69) in the App Store is an unfortunate given the great work Markus and his team have done.

By the way, I have done sone initial checks on the new version and it really looks better than QE. Looking forward to the future updates.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CyborgOne said:

+1  I second that

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Any new Quicken needs to offer a proper export facility. By proper, I mean that it must 1) be complete (all info should be exported) and 2) have documented file formats - so that, should the day return when Intuit stops supporting the Mac community, people can move to better products.

In the last go-round, many people felt burned because exports were incomplete and file formats had to be reverse-engineered in order to use competitive products. The result was that people who suffered through the conversion to a competitive product will never forget that extra pain and will not let themselves take the risk of being burned again. This point is likely to appear in product reviews as well unless you take steps to explicitly address it with a proper export facility.

I appreciate that selective export and undocumented file formats have advantages. But recognize that they have disadvantages that, because of your history, outweigh the advantages.

Let Quicken compete on features and performance, not on lock-in that will only cost Intuit as people seek to avoid any potential for missteps of the past, however unlikely you believe them to be.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Barbara said:

It's important to note that if you download from your brokerage firm you probably will be happy but if you manually input your information from a statement and try to make it balance you won't be able to at the moment. It is on the burner for a priority 1 update and so be available for possibly the next couple of updates.

After being disappointed when brokerage reports did not include sales, bought and sold, I was going to switch to manually input the info from my statement.  Looks as tho' that would be a mistake....
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Barbara said:

It's important to note that if you download from your brokerage firm you probably will be happy but if you manually input your information from a statement and try to make it balance you won't be able to at the moment. It is on the burner for a priority 1 update and so be available for possibly the next couple of updates.

It should work okay to enter your transactions manually... but you might want to wait until the first update to Quicken 2015, which is expected to add the capability to manually enter/edit security prices for those which don't download automatically or have incorrect values.
  • jacobs
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yup, they hired a team of people -- many of 'em new employees -- and paid 'em for two years to develop and test and market a new version of Quicken for Mac, and they "don't give a crap about the Mac community." Right.

It's fine if you're not satisfied with the features of the product they've put out... or the slow pace of progress... or the price... or the decision to release a product that is missing features which are important to some in the user community... or something else about Quicken 2015. But saying they "don't give a crap" when it's clear they've invested some time and money and personnel to try to get Quicken for Mac on the right path -- a path they may not get fully down for another year or two -- is just an outburst of emotion. Clearly, they are trying to create a product to serve the Mac community (as well as make money, since that's what they're in business to do). I'm not out to defend every step Intuit takes, and in my other posts, I've said that they've made a lot of missteps over the years, and also that I'm not ready to with to Quicken 2015 until more features get added -- but I'm happy they appear to be trying to create a modern version of Quicken, even if it isn't yet ready to meet my needs.

As for your comment "If you can't pay bills with the app, what's the point?", the point is that their market research shows only 6% of users use bill pay within the app. I understand this is very important to some people, but I've never used it, and clearly many others don't. It doesn't mean it won't get added to the app in time; it only means it wasn't as high a priority as investment tracking and the mobile app.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    keith224 said:

Marcus, i am a first timer on your blog. I was a long time user of Windows, personally. I covered to Mac about 4 years ago. I am now a die hard Mac fan! I have been using Quicken since it's inception. I am currently using Quicken 2014 Premier for Windows. I did purchase Quicken Essentials and looked at it, but frankly is was awful. I just bought Quicken 2015 for Mac. It downloaded all my data that I exported to a QFX file and uploaded fine. Then I updated the accounts, which worked, but quit slowly. I am starting to run my tests on all of the pieces of the software that I use on a personal basis. I will have to say it just does not have the look at feel of 2014 Premier. The one item I was really astounded that was not available in the first new version was online balance reconciliation. I am truly glad that you have stood by the Mac World in getting Quicken to come back to the Mac users. I just hope we don't have to wait along time for some of the features of Windows to get into the Mac version! If so, I will continue to use Quicken for Windows and continue to wait for Quicken to catchup to the Mac World.

We have reconciliation but it's a little different than QWin.  Click the Reconcile button on the button bar below the register.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thomas said:

Marcus,

I have recently upgraded from Essentials to Quicken for Mac 2015. Where do we channel information on problems that we find with the application.

Quicken Live community is the best place.  Our Support team reviews the comments and questions from customers and will report to us the major issues people are running into.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marcus,

The banks decide how much data they will allow us to download and 90 days is pretty typical in checking and credit card accounts.  In brokerage accounts it can be more like 1 year but again this is dependent on the financial institution.  I would try to import your Quicken file and see if that gives you better results.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    don said:

Any new Quicken needs to offer a proper export facility. By proper, I mean that it must 1) be complete (all info should be exported) and 2) have documented file formats - so that, should the day return when Intuit stops supporting the Mac community, people can move to better products.

In the last go-round, many people felt burned because exports were incomplete and file formats had to be reverse-engineered in order to use competitive products. The result was that people who suffered through the conversion to a competitive product will never forget that extra pain and will not let themselves take the risk of being burned again. This point is likely to appear in product reviews as well unless you take steps to explicitly address it with a proper export facility.

I appreciate that selective export and undocumented file formats have advantages. But recognize that they have disadvantages that, because of your history, outweigh the advantages.

Let Quicken compete on features and performance, not on lock-in that will only cost Intuit as people seek to avoid any potential for missteps of the past, however unlikely you believe them to be.

I totally understand but I don't think there is an agreed to standard file format that everyone can write too.  The good news is we use a SQL database so any SQL editor can open it and theoretically you can get the data that way although not as easily as if there was an accepted format for this type of thing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Marcus and Team,

First, let me say I'm extremely happy to have a Mac base Quicken program, even if it isn't totally up to par yet. That being said, there is at least one report that needs to be added. I really do need a cash flow report since transfers don't show in the category reports. I need to be able to track where all of my cash is going. I would've voted for this in the comparison summary, but it isn't an option.

Thanks again!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JohnDavis said:

It sounds like something really wrong is happening.  We only sync the differences so it shouldn't keep uploading 27K+ transactions.  However, I don't think we've ever tested the system with that many transactions so you may have hit some maximum that we didn't anticipate.  Let me ask our support team to contact your directly so we can work with you to figure out the issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marcus & team,

I hear you and understand the point but the decision was made to offer the product at the current price and to add features throughout the year.  Quite honestly we were going to get 1 star reviews on Amazon whether the price was $49.95 or $74.95.  Look at how people blasted Quicken Essentials.  Maybe we would have been OK at free but then management wouldn't have been too happy funding development without any return on that investment.
This discussion has been closed.