Quicken for Mac 2016 3.5.1 Release is Live
We're excited to start the rolling out v3.5 of Quicken Mac 2016! This release has a brand new implementation of the reconcile feature, in addition, to great performance improvements in portfolio view and numerous other bug fixes across the product.
Here’s a link to the official release notes https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-mac-release-notes.
Also, here is a link to a video, narrated by our product manager, Quicken Marcus, reviewing the improvements and fixes in the 3.5 release https://youtu.be/Ck1pRaM1OTM.
Below is a quick summary of the main highlights of the release.
We’re Getting Ready for The Future
In order to support future development, we needed to make database changes for this version. The result is that if you've opened your file with Quicken for Mac v3.5 you won't be able to go back and use this file in earlier versions. As a safeguard, we automatically save a backup file for you using the old format in case you have to revert back to the previous version. You can find this file by going to Help>Show Backups in Finder.
Brand New Reconcile Experience
We've completely redesigned the
Reconcile feature. In the past versions of Quicken Mac 2015 and 2016, your Quicken balance was not used in the reconcile process resulting in errors. Now, it will now take on the same behavior as Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows in that it will calculate the beginning balance based on all previously uncleared transactions. This action will result in a more accurate reconcile experience so that your Quicken balance matches your online or statement balance. As a result, you may find discrepancies that have always existed but weren't obvious when using the old reconcile feature. To quickly fix this, click on the gear icon to Start Fresh or Add an Adjustment.
- Highlighting – We’ve made it easier to view your budget numbers by highlighting both the row and column within your budget as you move the mouse. In addition, you will see the same type of highlighting while editing your budget across the rows.
- Quick Fill Menu - We’ve completely overhauled the budget setup quick fill menu where we now support two month and quarterly fills. We will display the calculated values in the menu so you know what number will be added before you try to add it. Also changed are the key commands for fill forward and back.
- New Budget Preference – We added a new preference under Budgets>Highlight where the default is row and column for highlighting when viewing your budget. You can change the highlight to just display over the row and header, headers only, or none.
- Duplicating a Budget – We added the ability to duplicate an existing 12-Month budget instead of starting from scratch.
- Much improved performance where some users are reporting a 200% increase in speed
- Changed investment portfolio so that the number of shares can display up to 6 decimal places.
- Portfolio view can now expand and fill the entire width of the screen.
- The app will automatically add price history for buy and sell transactions if there isn't current quote data for a particular day. This should result in improved charting.
- Fixed an issue where the chart would show spikes or dips due to stock splits or purchases.
- Reports expand to full width of screen – You can now see any report stretch to the size of the document window whereas it used to be limited to a fixed height and width.
- Quick reports – Added ability to create Quick Category, Tag, or Payee reports by right clicking (CTRL+Click) on a transaction and selecting Report [Category, Tag, Payee Name].
Below are a couple more enhancements that we hope will make for a better app experience.
- Dramatically reduced the file size by eliminating unused data backups being stored within the file.
- Made numerous changes to help to bring in up-to-date with the new features such as reconcile.
- Updated Category, Tag, and Action screens to be consistent with Payee and Securities.
If you happen to run into any issues with the 3.5 release, you can post them using this thread but please do follow up with the Customer Care Team so we can quickly address your concerns.
Thank you for your support and being part of the Quicken Community.
The Quicken Mac Team
This discussion has been closed.