Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Installed 2017 this evening.  Some things are quicker like initial launching and securities price download.  I noticed that the saved backup file is much smaller than the database.quicken2017 file. Mine is 155Mb and the backup is 86Mb.  Why the difference?  So far so good. Will see how it handles the next batch of transactions when they download.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm greatly disappointed in the latest report format. Quicken Marcus originally replied here that they were working on the Columnar report format because it was the "top requested item", as requested here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/in-quicken-2007-i-can-create-custom-reports-with... only to deliver a Year-Over-Year Comparison report format. NOT THE SAME!!!

Not a single one of my required features has yet been implemented since QM2015 was released in Sep 2014. This is one of my top hold outs before being able to move off of QM2007 (among several others).

You may want to add your VOTE for the Columnar Report format, at the link above.

Be sure to click on the link to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention again.  It's still a top priority. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

How can I record an opening balance for investment or savings account that is added manually I seem to cannot find that thanks for any help

Just add a transaction and use the Adjustment category.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just purchased Quicken for Mac 2017.....install went fine but program doesn't work. Everytime I open it and try to convert my 2016 file it crashes

Hi Paul,

I contacted you directly via email.  Lets work together to find the problem.  Thanks for reporting this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

We haven't touched that area of the product so I'm surprised you're seeing different behavior.  I just tried this and can't reproduce the issue.  Did you save to your iCloud drive before?  Is there anything different in your workflow that could account for this?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

my old quicken quit working when I upgraded mac. I just purchase 2017 but can't seem to get it to open and update my old version

Quicken Essentials for Mac stopped working because Apple dropped support for the type of memory management that QEM used.  Can you provide more details of what you're seeing.  Does the app not launch at all or is it having issues converting your Quicken Essentials file?
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

UPDATE: Oct. 14, 2016

Just placed an order successfully at Quicken site. Canadian postal code was accepted. 
    Only issue was provinces were not in the State list. I just selected NY, and it let me moved on to the next step.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Still doesn't work for me. Wants a Zip with only numbers.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

Marcus the loans feature is very important for home owner or renter , car loans are also very common:)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm greatly disappointed in the latest report format. Quicken Marcus originally replied here that they were working on the Columnar report format because it was the "top requested item", as requested here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/in-quicken-2007-i-can-create-custom-reports-with... only to deliver a Year-Over-Year Comparison report format. NOT THE SAME!!!

Not a single one of my required features has yet been implemented since QM2015 was released in Sep 2014. This is one of my top hold outs before being able to move off of QM2007 (among several others).

You may want to add your VOTE for the Columnar Report format, at the link above.

Be sure to click on the link to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thanks for replying but what I do not understand is if this report was considered the top requested report, why was the Comparison report released first? It may be a moot point now though but still, trying to understand the prioritization around this.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

And include investment income in the budget.
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

No not at the present

I agree. The website doesn't compare 2017 with 2016. What new improvements are worth $65?
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have used a Mac for more than 20 years, and Quicken for Mac almost that long. Why would I want it to look like Windows? I am now using Quicken for Mac 2016.  What new features would make an upgrade worth the money? As others have noted, I am also maintaining 2007.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am amazed that more users here don't seem to be as disappointed as I am. Users have been reporting major problems for months and yet I only see a few new features with no mention of fixing what is broken in QM2016! I am so done. Also, I echo the posts about looking more like Windows being a downgrade, not an improvement.

I would be grateful for any recommendations for a Mac alternative.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

So far so good, the new mobile app is good but it does NOT allow me to update my transactions offlne. It just lets me view them (something it didn't do before after the cache expired). Any ideas to get the offline feature to work? Otherwise I'm still happy because it's the first version I've had that does not crash and log me off all the time!

Wait.. so the ability to update transactions without internet connection in the mobile app is a Quicken 2017 feature?  I have signed out and back into the mobile app. it still does not allow me to update transactions without being connected.  (I've had a year long battle with the previous app in that I had to log in EVERY TIME I had to use it.  I sent a movie to quicken support only to have everyone baffled.  this version has fixed that so I hate to complain, but this would be a killer feature.  I CAN load in all my transactions offline with it though which is something it would not do before.  It just won't let me add.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

So far so good, the new mobile app is good but it does NOT allow me to update my transactions offlne. It just lets me view them (something it didn't do before after the cache expired). Any ideas to get the offline feature to work? Otherwise I'm still happy because it's the first version I've had that does not crash and log me off all the time!

Okay.. Thank You Quicken Marcus!  I did, Log out of my iPad, iPhone and I decided to Reset my cloud data".  Once I did, I logged back into my iPhone and Immediately saw new features (ie.. Investing, etc..).  The first time I added a transaction offline, the app crashed, the second time however, it worked.  Everything is now working (and my mobile app on my iPhone doesn't require logging in every time to use it!!!). Maybe its time to play the lottery now.  Thank you for your hard work!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Okay.. Thank You Quicken Marcus!  I had logged out before and did not see a difference, but this time, I logged out of my iPad, iPhone and I decided to Reset my cloud data" from Quicken Mac 2017.  Once I did, I logged back into my iPhone and Immediately saw new features (ie.. Investing, etc..).  The first time I added a transaction offline, the app crashed, the second time however, it worked.  Everything is now working (and the year plus long but on the mobile app on my iPhone that had me logging in every time to use it, is no gone with this new version!!!!). Maybe its time to play the lottery now.  Thank you for your hard work!  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Make sure you've downloaded the latest mobile app.  We'll allow you to edit payee, category, memo and tag.  All the transactions you edit offline will have an exclamation with a circle around it to indicate it's in offline mode.  You can even add a manual transaction.  We're seeing some possible bugs in this feature.  Investigating it now.

This worked!.  I logged out of both my iPhone and iPad, but I also reset my cloud data.  This did work.  I logged back in and saw new features like the Investing option. The first time I tried to update without internet connection, and the app crashed.  I restarted the app, tried it again and it worked!  I just went from being a happy camper to a very happy camper!  Thanks.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

How can I get back to box to purchase Quicken Mac 2017 at discounted rate? It popped up when I opened Quicken but I could not update at the time so I closed it thinking I would do it later, and it is gone.

We are on coast of SC and are still in the midst of the damage from Hurricane Matthew. When the box popped up, we only had limited power from a generator and our DSL was sporadically working. I only opened Quicken briefly to check my balances. We have power as of last night and I would like to upgrade but I cannot figure out how to get back to that box.  Please advise.  Thanks
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Agreed. I to am going to look what else is available
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

Found it!  Please disregard previous question. 
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

Where did the box go to upgrade today and save $10? I couldn't upgrade at that moment and now I can't find that box anywhere.

I found it! Please disregard this question.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

Spend the money wisely!

Where did you find it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

A few days ago, I launched Quicken Mac 2016, and it offered an upgrade to 2017, with a $10 discount. I wasn't ready to upgrade then, but the offer no longer seems to be available. It didn't warn me that this was a one-time discount - what's going on??
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

I have the same issue.  I tried to purchase the QM 2017, but for some unexplained reason the purchase wasn't processed. The discount seems to have gone away for me, also.  Want to purchase QM 2017 at the discounted price.

Found an ad using a link from a post by 'Bo' above.  It worked and I was able to order QM 2017 (disc version).  Thanks 'Bo'.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Don't buy it. There is nothing different. Unless you like pink. I bought it because it said it was optimized for high res screens, but I swear it looks fuzzy. I have a large monitor (32") and I am so frustrated that you have no control over the charts and graphs. I hate the way they stretch across the whole screen. I want to be able to drag them to whatever size I want. Been waiting on this for years, but it is never going to come. So disappointed and actively looking for something to replace Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Billy said:

Is Quicken 2017 going to be available to UK residents?

Don't buy it. There is nothing different. Unless you like pink. I bought it because it said it was optimized for high res screens, but I swear it looks fuzzy. I have a large monitor (32") and I am so frustrated that you have no control over the charts and graphs. I hate the way they stretch across the whole screen. I want to be able to drag them to whatever size I want. Been waiting on this for years, but it is never going to come. So disappointed and actively looking for something to replace Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their comparisons to QM2007.  I too am a QM2007 holdout but want to try 2017.  Keep the comments coming.  I mostly want to keep the Portfolio and Investment capabilities, as well as, custom reports from QM2007.  I suppose I could just download it and do the side-by-side too and "refund" it < 60 days.  Thanks for everyone's insight!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

Yea! Happy to know that Marcus. That's a real annoyance.

Now, if you'd also agree to change the editing split behavior (where editing one split amount changes the first split amount instead of creating a new split line) that so many of us find so very incredibly frustrating, it would indeed be a happy day. Sometime in the future, but a happy day to look forward to nonetheless! ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.