Upgraded 2007 Mac to 2017 Mac, and data file won't open on Sierra

2»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

Possibly worthless, but an update . . . :) 

John, my original post said that 2007 DID run under Sierra on Mac #1.  But not on Mac #2 (also Sierra), which was confounding.  When I posted, 2007 didn't run on Mac #2 (Sierra), and although 2017 ran, it wouldn't populate the file data.

Bottom line, I think the Sierra/2007/2017 mix is very buggy.  Because after playing around with it, the file opens using BOTH 2007 and 2017, on Mac #2, under Sierra!

I will say, rather than using the data file that was brought over when I migrated my system from Mac #1 to Mac #2, today I copied the data file from Mac #1 onto a thumb drive, and loaded it onto Mac #2.  Don't know if that made the difference because it was the same file.

All I can say is, keep trying, and maybe it'll decide to work, like it did for me.

An aside: what a shock, going from 2007 to 2017!  I don't find the 2017 layout to be as easy to use, or as intuitive.  I hope to get used to it over time. 

Good info to share...

BTW, I have an ulterior motive for asking about the VM details...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

John, my original post said that 2007 DID run under Sierra on Mac #1.  But not on Mac #2 (also Sierra), which was confounding.  When I posted, 2007 didn't run on Mac #2 (Sierra), and although 2017 ran, it wouldn't populate the file data.

Bottom line, I think the Sierra/2007/2017 mix is very buggy.  Because after playing around with it, the file opens using BOTH 2007 and 2017, on Mac #2, under Sierra!

I will say, rather than using the data file that was brought over when I migrated my system from Mac #1 to Mac #2, today I copied the data file from Mac #1 onto a thumb drive, and loaded it onto Mac #2.  Don't know if that made the difference because it was the same file.

All I can say is, keep trying, and maybe it'll decide to work, like it did for me.

An aside: what a shock, going from 2007 to 2017!  I don't find the 2017 layout to be as easy to use, or as intuitive.  I hope to get used to it over time. 

More details, as requested. I am stuck on Mac Quicken 2007 running on macOS High Sierra inside of
    VMWare Workstation 14 on a ThinkPad P51 laptop running Windows 10. I have not
    found any way to upgrade Quicken because of my stock transactions.
    The prior computer was a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra. The VMWare image
    was downloaded from Techsviewer.com and I applied the VMWare MacOS unlocker found on github. John Prewitt's comment on this GetSatisfaction Web site was the only place I found that mentioned the USB copy file trick to get the data file moved over. Since that was fixed, Quicken 2007 has been working without issue (for a few weeks), other than the registration reminder popups that I have not figured out how to get rid of since the registration process no longer works.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

Interesting that you are going the other way...running MacOS on Windows PC. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I suspect that the VMWare image is formatted with HFS+ format for the "drive" and not APFS. Is that correct?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

Correct. I would assume APFS does not work inside VMWare Workstation.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

It should be easy to check. Simply go to the desktop of the MacOS, right-click the drive and select Get Info. If the Format says MacOS Extended, it is HFS+. If you could report back that would be useful.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

I guess my answer was not clear enough. It is HFS+. If it wasn't then I couldn't use Quicken without any problems because Quicken 2007 is not compatible with APFS. To my knowledge VMWare Workstation 14 does not natively support APFS.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

You may be right but I know that VMWare Fusion does support APFS. I do not know much about Workstation. So the most definitive answer is to do a Get Info on the drive.

BTW QM2007 works just fine with APFS. It is only one feature in QM2007 that does not work...the use of Auto Save Back-ups -- for more info on that, see:
    Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

If backups don't work with APFS then Quicken 2007 does not work fine as backups are an essential feature. Quicken 2007 on HFS+ works fine. I am not sure why anyone running Quicken 2007 would pick APFS over HFS+, not that it matters for me. I am done with Macs, other than being stuck on Quicken 2007.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Valerie said:

It is a good feature and a nice feature (I use it) but it is not essential as any backup software will also do an effective job. 

This discussion has been closed.