Additional option for frequency of occurrence on bill reminders (75 Legacy Votes)

Options

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

It could do best it can, i.e. local national holidays.  In G.B. I think they are called "bank holidays."  However, good point. My Mac calendar already has holidays marked, and I just noticed that the Quicken calendar does not.  I had assumed that Quicken would localize itself along with language and configuration of the computer but seems I was wrong. hmm...

But, for example, on Labor Day which was a workday for my wife, but not for me, how do you "generic ID " that?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

It could do best it can, i.e. local national holidays.  In G.B. I think they are called "bank holidays."  However, good point. My Mac calendar already has holidays marked, and I just noticed that the Quicken calendar does not.  I had assumed that Quicken would localize itself along with language and configuration of the computer but seems I was wrong. hmm...

You've answered your own question...it is not generic

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Also, perhaps "workday" was a poor choice of words for me and I should have used "bank-day" to indicate a day that the bank is open to make payment for me.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

So, if I now understand your request, its to add the ability do indicate Holidays on the Q Calendar, much as the calendar function in Outlook, or Mozilla Firefox work.

That would be something that I could support.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

You don't understand.  My intention is to schedule a recurring payment to happen the last day of the month that the bank is open, or will process the request.  As indicated before, my choice of the word "workday" should be replaced with "bank-day" but I do not seem to be able to change the tittle of this entry.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

I understand completely.  What you don't understand is that the ability to do what you ask is by adding holidays (i.e., non-bankdays) to the Q calendar.  THEN, Q could know what the "last bank day" is.

How would you, otherwise, expect Q to have that info?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

@John Wiggins...only moderators, et al can make that correction once a thread has replies. I have submitted a request for the change on your behalf.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

The OP originally (his acknowledged mistake) referenced "work days" ... which are frequently different for couples.  As originally proposed, I was pointing out that the concept was unworkable for married couples in different industries where the "holiday policies" can vary widely.  Such as the WIDE variances between medicine and banking.  In many such instances, a simple "generic ID" (whatever that means) couldn't possibly work.

AS the OP has corrected the intent, it's starting to look doable.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I voted for it, although not sure it's necessary because... if you schedule a payment on the last day of the month, and that day is a bank holiday or weekend, the bank will normally automatically adjust the payment to be made on the last bank work day prior. At least that's how it works with my bank.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

I voted for it, although not sure it's necessary because... if you schedule a payment on the last day of the month, and that day is a bank holiday or weekend, the bank will normally automatically adjust the payment to be made on the last bank work day prior. At least that's how it works with my bank.

Yeah, but some banks will hold the payment until the 1st business day of the next month.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

@RickO - Right now you cannot tell Quicken to schedule the last day of the month, but my bank let's me schedule payment on the last weekday of the month via their web site (which is what I do) and they have confirmed if the last weekday is a "bank-holiday" they will initiate it on the last "business" day or "bank-day" of the month in the parlance of this discussion.
    @NotCPA - That is why I am requesting to schedule the last "bank-day" for which the bank will initiate the action.  Something simple like  "last weekday of the month" would satisfy me-- but I understand how some folks would prefer the "last bank-day of the month" to be certain the action is taken at least a day before the first "business" day of the next month.  Originally, I did not have anything very sophisticated in mind, like special calendars, just a calendar that respects the local national holidays, like New Years Day, etc...
  • RickO
    edited November 2019
    Options

John, yes you can schedule a transaction in Quicken to occur on the last day (or the last specific weekday) of the month:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

just a calendar that respects the local national holidays, like New Years Day, etc...
    But, banking is controlled by state law, as much as federal law.  And there are state holidays when the banks in that state are closed but the banks in other states are open.
    SO, it needs to be more "Outlook-like" to accommodate the laws of all 50 states.  Otherwise, it would allow someone to post a date that's a holiday in their state (or, perhaps, the state where their bank is located) but not a federal holiday.

BTW, my primary "bank" is Fidelity Investments, and the National Bank that handles the banking functions for Fido is located is Kansas City ... which is 2 states over from where I live. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Excellent point!  I see now that my request would be complicated to try to do as I stated it.  

Aside:  this suggestion got started because I had a Quicken scheduled transaction for the 30th of the month and noticed that there was no payment at all for February.  This is certainly a bug (which I reported) and choosing the 31st of the month should adjust the transaction to the last day of any shorter month and not be skipped.

All I wanted was to ask for the last weekday out of MTWTF, i.e. exclude Saturday and Sunday, and then later thought it would be convenient if Quicken could adjust automatically to before any holidays that fall on the last non-weekend day of the month.  I was thinking of New Years, Christmas, ...

Maybe some folks would like to indicate non-transaction days on their Quicken calendar, but I would probably never do that myself.  I am satisfied with what we have now except for the bug mentioned in the aside above.
  • RickO
    edited November 2019
    Options

I agree that it's poor design to skip a month if the transaction is scheduled on the 31st and it should be fixed.

However, as shown in the screenshot above, there is an option for "last" day of the month. One should always use this option, and never the 29th, 30th or 31st, to assure a month is not skipped. In fact, I'd like to see Quicken remote the 29th, 30th and 31st as options in the list.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

Maybe removing them for recurring transactions but not for single occurrence scheduled transactions where they would still be useful.

• RickO
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yup, that's what I meant!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Something that would permit selecting a 30-day billing cycle. Several of my utilities use this, so my "monthly" reminders are inaccurate after a couple of months.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So last year, after my posting about the 90-day reminder need, I discovered a need for a transaction to be done every day for 49 days (except a couple of intermittant days that could have been skipped explicitly, if I had been able to schedule the transaction at all).  This year, I'm in the middle of the same event, but it is 56 days in duration. Yes, I could do 7 weekly transactions, but that shouldn't be necessary: one daily transaction repeated 49 or 56 times would have been much better.  And recently I have discovered needs for 30 day and 60 day transactions.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

To the person who wanted a reminder to be scheduled every 3 years:

Since you can't do "Yearly every [x] years" ... How about Monthly every [36] months on the [day] ?

I'm on Q Win 2018 and it looks like we're still all waiting for the "Daily" types of durations.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 30 day billing.

Many companies (particularly utilities) use a 30-day billing cycle. I would find Bill Reminders much more accurate and useful if I could set reminders for that period.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You may want to add your VOTE to it by by first, clicking on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes, looks good, but may be problematic on how Quicken will learn holidays.
    I would like to account for them myself, and would even accept it either reading from my mac calendar or I just define them in Quicken calendar directly.
  • Lanka
    Lanka Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transaction Schedule in Quicken.

It would be very useful to be able to schedule a transaction for the last weekday or working day of the month. Many people are paid that way or receive payments on that schedule. Thank you.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reminder Schedule.

Welcome back, Lanka.

Last working day of the month.
    Monday thru Friday, previous day if last day is a holiday

as discussed in a portion of this post:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/in-q2012-is-it-possible-to-schedule-a-monthly-re...

I second that motion.
    ukr

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Transaction Schedule in Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Business Day or Weekday to Reminder due dates.

When scheduling a reminder, it would be nice to have "Business Day" or "Weekday" as an option in addition to "Day", "Monday", "Tuesday", etc.  I realize that a business day is not a perfectly standardized concept, but some more sophistication in scheduling would be welcome.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reminder Schedule.

Agreed! CPP and OAS in Canada is paid on the 3rd to last business day of every month. I'm constantly having to change the date on my scheduled payments!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add Business Day or Weekday to Reminder due dates.
  • bkm
    bkm Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

Some bills are withdrawn every X days, and currently it is not possible to set a reminder in Quicken for every X days.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

I didn't state it explicitly in my original request, but a "Daily, every [xxx] days" needs to be included here.

There have been several requests for a "Daily, every [30] days" since this was originally posted.
    And, no, "Monthly" or "every 4 weeks" does not appear to cut it. It must be exactly "every 30 days".
    See an earlier post by Mark Baribeault in this message thread.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options