Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.3 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we released Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.3.  

In this release we've taken a bunch of the bug fixes we put into 2017 and moved them back to the 2016 release to improve stability.  There are a bunch of investment, bill pay and general stability fixes including a fix for a crash that could occur when trying to update accounts and a fix for hidden accounts accidentally becoming unhidden.

You can see the full release notes at: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-mac-release-notes.

Please use this forum post to add issues you are finding in v3.5.3.  This will make it easier for us to spot the issues and to react to them faster.

Thanks.
Marcus
Twitter: @softwaremarcus

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Apple required me to update to Sierra, which made Quicken Essentials obsolete. Now I have to update Quiken. Should I update to Q16 or Q17?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    After installing the update for v3.5.3 for 2016 this morning, my balance and deposits don't show in their respective columns in my checking only.  The deposits appear to be there, but they don't show at all, not even as a line item
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

After installing the update for v3.5.3 for 2016 this morning, my balance and deposits don't show in their respective columns in my checking only.  The deposits appear to be there, but they don't show at all, not even as a line item

After launching to a deposit from a transferred amount to checking, all my deposits showed up.  After further messing with it I finally got my balance and my deposits to show up.  Glitch that needs to be fixed though.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I just downloaded the new update (3.5.3) after reading the comments in another Forum entry. When I then went to the "Update All Online Accounts" screen, the ball kept spinning and never stopped. I then had to do a FORCE QUIT on my MAC for Quicken... 
    I then opened Quicken again and the transactions HAD downloaded. So as a TEST, I repeated the "Upload All Online Accounts" and again had the spinning ball in the box and was again forced to do a FORCE QUIT. Maybe this is just an issue for me but I am hoping it is a temporary issue. Anyone else experience this?
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I just did another "experiment" and tried downloading just from one account and it quickly did its mission. So I tried all accounts again and it eventually worked but certainly was hung up of for minutes while doing the box "updating transactions-please wait". Maybe it will not occur again...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Only in checking the running balance did not appear after update.  I clicked date sort and balances reappeared. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    DonHoyt said:

Apple required me to update to Sierra, which made Quicken Essentials obsolete. Now I have to update Quiken. Should I update to Q16 or Q17?

Apple does not require anyone to update. But since you have, if the choice is between QM2016 and QM2017, the latter has more features and you will continue to get new features released throughout the year for free. Unless you absolutely cannot stand the new user interface (not necessarily likeable but I think its workable), then stick with QM2017. No obvious reason to avoid QM2017 vs QM2016.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    All these bug fixes, not the bug where orange pencils and blue envelops are not being cleared (removed) when the transaction is Marked as Reviewed has not been fixed? Please fix this very annoying problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    A checking account has an incorrect online balance displayed in the register; it is many thousand dollars less than the bank's website. There are no pending transactions either online or in the register. This discrepancy causes problems for reconciling the account. None of the other accounts is having this issue, and the prior version 3.5.2 did not have the issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    DonHoyt said:

Please check out Quicken Mac 2017.  You can always return it if you run into issues.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I don't think this is a bug.  If you change the sort order in your register to anything but by date, the running balance will disappear.  This is because the running balance doesn't make sense any more since the order has changed.  If you click back on date, the running balance comes back.  This is how the product has always worked but we've had people report this as an issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    thorendor said:

A checking account has an incorrect online balance displayed in the register; it is many thousand dollars less than the bank's website. There are no pending transactions either online or in the register. This discrepancy causes problems for reconciling the account. None of the other accounts is having this issue, and the prior version 3.5.2 did not have the issue.

Can you do an online balance reconcile to see if it uncovers where the issue might be?  I don't think any of the changes we made would affect this area.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I just did another "experiment" and tried downloading just from one account and it quickly did its mission. So I tried all accounts again and it eventually worked but certainly was hung up of for minutes while doing the box "updating transactions-please wait". Maybe it will not occur again...

Are these Quicken Connect or Direct Connect accounts?  Quicken Connect can sometimes get overloaded and take a long time to download transactions during certain periods of the day.  If it started working for you again, it's probably not something in the Mac app but something to do with the transaction download service.   Report back here if you start seeing it again.  Thanks for reporting the issue here for the community.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    RickO said:

All these bug fixes, not the bug where orange pencils and blue envelops are not being cleared (removed) when the transaction is Marked as Reviewed has not been fixed? Please fix this very annoying problem.

We're not happy with the way these icons work either.  We're doing a little re-design now.  It probably won't be a big change but we want to make it work more like people expect and of course fix bugs in their too. 
  • Alex Lindberg
    Alex Lindberg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for fixing bugs, but how about requested features like Loan
    Amortization support and Debit Reduction planing like in your Windows
    versions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks for fixing bugs, but how about requested features like Loan
    Amortization support and Debit Reduction planing like in your Windows
    versions.

Though Loan Amortization is one of the top requested features at this point, you can add you vote for this feature here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/loan-amortization-in-quicken-for-mac-2016

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

You may want to check out this other link about other features you can vote on here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-search-invisible-and-visible-field...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Custom Tags constantly show through even when not selected in customize; when before the fix update tags would block data from showing on the report.
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    thorendor said:

I could not find any issues with the online balance reconcile. I then did a new transaction download, and now it reconciles. If the issue recurs, what steps should I take to report?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I am still having trouble with reconciling bank balances. I have read the previous post but it doesn't make sense for me. If it's a one-time issue, once the adjustment is made, the account should balance going forward. Not so! I am still having to make adjustments. And, Quicken is not consistently recognizing transactions that have cleared the bank. I've tried waiting a couple of days to see if Quicken will recognize the transaction later. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Most frustrating!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    julie999 said:

I am still having trouble with reconciling bank balances. I have read the previous post but it doesn't make sense for me. If it's a one-time issue, once the adjustment is made, the account should balance going forward. Not so! I am still having to make adjustments. And, Quicken is not consistently recognizing transactions that have cleared the bank. I've tried waiting a couple of days to see if Quicken will recognize the transaction later. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Most frustrating!

Though this will not solve the immediate problem, you can VOTE for the feature to track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-track-store-prior-reconciled-stat...

This would simplify this whole process of identifying where exactly discrepancies are occurring.

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

Be sure to scroll down that page, as it contains a list of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    I can no long print any scheduled transaction under 3.5.3. I updated to OS Sierra, but this problem existed before the update. If I highlight a scheduled transaction and click the printer icon, the only print option is the register. When I click on the transaction clock at the left of the specific transaction, there is no option to PAY NOW. Suggestions?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I assume by "print" you mean print a check. Before printing the scheduled transaction you need to mark it as "Mark As Paid". When you click on the clock icon it should give a drop down menu with that option, or Control/Right click on the transaction and choose "Mark As Paid". 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I updated, and then couldn't communicate with my bank for payments/downloads.. why?  Seems this occurs frequently after updates..
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I have a Direct Connection and can't get the bank to 'talk' to me after the update - I get the error code Ofx error #1.  Closed program, undid the Direct Connection, tried to reconnect and get the same error code every time.  Any thoughts?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

I assume by "print" you mean print a check. Before printing the scheduled transaction you need to mark it as "Mark As Paid". When you click on the clock icon it should give a drop down menu with that option, or Control/Right click on the transaction and choose "Mark As Paid". 

Thanks for that! Works. Seems a bit odd to mark it paid before it's paid, but OK. It would be better if Quicken explained that counterintuitive sequence. https://www.quicken.com/support/scheduled-transactions-repeating-online-payments-and-single-payments...
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

I agree that it could be named better. Once you learn what to do it works--- until you forget. The lack of a good manual is a major drawback.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

We fixed an issue like this in 3.5.3 regarding TD Bank sending us bad data for bill pay and we made some changes in direct connect too.  Byron, I can try to work with you directly to figure out what is going on here.  I'll send you email.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Custom Tags constantly show through even when not selected in customize; when before the fix update tags would block data from showing on the report.

Can you tell me more?  There is also a drop down for Tags in the Customize dialog.  Could the Any/All drop down have changed in your customize dialog?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    How do you update to 3.5.3? I can't find the updater anywhere. When I go to the Apple App Store, Quicken 2016 isn't even there! This is very frustrating. I just purchased the 2016 version 1 month or so ago and now I can't even update the software? What kind of scam is this?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Don't worry, you are entitled to updates. I didn't buy mine through the App Store so I'm not sure why it is not there (maybe because the latest version is 2017), but if you click on the word Quicken in the Menu bar you should see the dropdown menu that includes "Check for Updates". This should get you to the update download. If you purchased less than a month ago you are probably entitled to the 2017 version which has the same bug fixes as 2016 3.5.3 plus some new features. Not sure how you go about getting 2017 as a free upgrade, but I'm sure someone else does.
This discussion has been closed.