Quicken Mac FAQ: How can I run the Quicken Emergency Records Organizer and/or the Home Inventory on

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
It is true that Quicken for Mac versions no longer include the Emergency Records Organizer (ERO) and the Home Inventory (HI) programs since Quicken Essentials for Mac, up to and including QMac 2017. 

That being the case, you may still be able to run these programs. Just follow these steps: 
  1. You need to obtain a copy of the old QM2007 LC (v16.1 or higher). If you own a currently supported version of QMac (as of this writing, that includes 2015, 2016 and 2017), you can contact Quicken Support at http://www.quicken.com/support to request it for free (as a transition version). 
  2. You will extract both these 2 programs from QM2007 by first right-clicking on the QM2007 app and selecting Show Package Contents, then go to the Content> SupportApps folder. Then simply copy the ERO and HI apps to anywhere you like (outside the QM2007 folder). 
Since QM2007 LC still runs on Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra), presumably ERO and HI will still work too (I have not fully tested it but it does work on older Mac OS X and I see no obvious reason for it to not work on Sierra).

For Quicken migrators from Windows, I am not sure if these apps will read the Windows version of the data files but you can give it a try.

For BOTH Mac users and Windows migrators that try this, please report back below whether or not you are successful so we can all gain from your experience.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Comments

• David Hunter
    David Hunter Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am running HighSierra 10.13 and Quicken 2007 will not open nor will any of the other programs I have on board open my Emergency Records file.  Fortunately, I have an older computer that I think will still open the file but I really hate to lose the functionality.  Having all of my sensitive information in one secure place was a big deal. I hope that they will consider picking up that feature in the future.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017

I am running HighSierra 10.13 and Quicken 2007 will not open nor will any of the other programs I have on board open my Emergency Records file.  Fortunately, I have an older computer that I think will still open the file but I really hate to lose the functionality.  Having all of my sensitive information in one secure place was a big deal. I hope that they will consider picking up that feature in the future.

David, it's possible they will work to re-create something like the Emergency Records Organizer or Home Inventory Manager for the modern Quicken a bit farther down the road, when some of the more core pieces of the program are up to par with Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows -- but I wouldn't count on it.

The issue is that there's lots of other free or inexpensive software that everyone has and can use to document their records. People can walk around their homes with their cellphone and create an audio/video documentation of their belongings, or create a list in a spreadsheet. Many people have many of their emergency records in their cellphone or computer contact databases. And there are other software products available for doing the types of things these Quicken add-ons did. So my guess -- it's only a guess -- is that Quicken isn't going to commit the resources to re-create this software and will focus instead on the core purpose of personal finance management.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

The issue of QM2007 not running is probably because you still have the PPC version (v16.0.x) and not the LC version (v16.1.x or higher; the latest is v16.2.4). The only way to preserve your functionality is to find the LC version somewhere. QM2007 LC will run on High Sierra, with the caveats you can find on this thread: 
    Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.