Add Lifetime/Retirement Planner to Quicken Mac (70 Legacy Votes)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Johanna Rose
    Johanna Rose Member
    Options

I just found out that Quicken for Mac excludes the PLANNING TAB/FEATURE! That is SUCH a bummer - it's really the only reason I signed up to get quicken ha! There are a lot of apps for Apple products that can track spending, but quicken sets itself apart with that planning feature. PLEASE pass this on to your team - they HAVE to add that feature and soon :)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Johanna Rose You may have just discovered this, but it has been a long-running request from many Quicken Mac users — as you can see from the old and large Idea thread your post has been merged into.

You should jump to the first page of this thread to add your vote for this feature in the yellow box under the first post on the first page of the thread; click the little dark gray up arrow to register your vote. The Idea has a status of "Under Consideration", which can mean either that the developers haven't decided whether to implement the feature, or more likely, that they haven't yet scheduled the time and developers to implement the feature. The more votes an idea gets, the more likely a feature is to be pushed up the priority list.

We never know the reasoning behind what feature the development team is working on in what order, but we do know that there are hundreds of feature requests and progress on implementing the features users desire is rather slow. Quicken never divulges when a feature is being worked on or expected for release, so we users are in the dark about when a particular feature will appear until it does.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello @Johanna Rose,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding a similar request.
    Please navigate to Page 1 to review the details of this Idea request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sguinn
    sguinn Member
    Options

Seeing that some of these comments are 6-7 years old, I am discouraged that we will ever have the Lifetime Planner or ability to do a debt reduction plan on this software. Any other suggestions for good home finance software for Mac?

• jacobs
    Options

Seeing that some of these comments are 6-7 years old, I am discouraged that we will ever have the Lifetime Planner or ability to do a debt reduction plan on this software.

@sguinn I can offer no assurances this is forthcoming. The only comment I'd make is that 6-7 years ago, Quicken Mac was much more bare-boned than it is today, and it had more pressing needs — better reports, budget, QuickFill/"memorized" transactions, and a host of other needs and refinements which have been delivered over that time. So as the basics are increasingly fleshed out, the more likely it seems that larger add-on features present in Quicken Windows, such as the retirement planner, may be in line for action by the developers. But whether this is their plan or not, only the inner teams at Quicken know — and they don't say, except when they mark an idea s definitively "Planned."

Any other suggestions for good home finance software for Mac?

Since most people visiting this site have settled on Quicken as their personal finance software of choice, most of us don't have extensive knowledge about other personal finance platforms we'd consider better than Quicken. But even if we did, the Quicken moderators don't allow discussion of Quicken alternatives here. (It's the Quicken corollary to "the first rule of fight club is is you don't talk about fight club." 🤣)

• vigiolto@
    vigiolto@ Member ✭✭
    Options

please please add this. It is the most important and useful planner.

• ivan6164
    ivan6164 Member
    Options

Add my vote for the Lifetime Planner. As a long-time Quicken user (since 1997!), this missing feature has prevented me from migrating Quicken to the Mac. I've been using Quicken for Windows in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, but as I will soon be upgrading my Macbook Air to an M2, that option may not work for me anymore.

• Andersod
    Andersod Member ✭✭
    Options

Trouble programming Quicken mac version, give it to Apple and have them help you, I am sure it would be a breeze for them!

• sbbabcock
    sbbabcock Member ✭✭
    Options

Now it’s an additional 34 months! Over 5 years total😀. I am think this is not something that will help increase sales for the company thus Quicken for Mac is what it is.

Overall I like the product and its many features. The Lifetime/Retirement Planner would fill in the gap that is missing enhancing the product even more.

As a side note, a lot of people have retired in 5 ½ years that could have used this very helpful tool. I appreciate your thorough comments.

Quicken user since 1991
  • MACBookPro
    Options

when will the lifetime planner be out. I just got a subscription and can't find it

• jacobs
    Options

@MACBookPro At this time, the Lifetime Planner is a feature request which the development team has not yet committed to implement. When it might be added is anyone's guess, but the indication from this thread having a status of "Under Consideration" rather than "Planned" likely means it's not coming anytime soon. But Quicken never announces when features will be released, so no one can answer when it will be added.

• MACBookPro
    Options

please put life time planner in the Mac versions. Every company has software planning where they put the new features in. Could you please tell me what version this is planned for.? And when is that version going to be out when do usually release new versions once a year?

Please don’t just tell me it’s in the planning stages because you know what your software features are every software company does so please give us an idea when we can expect. Thank you.

• jacobs
    Options

@MACBookPro I'm sorry to tell you that Quicken never announces what version a particular feature enhancement will be in, nor a date or timeframe for when new features are expected. While they do have a schedule and roadmap for development, the plans often change for a wide variety of reasons: they run into unexpected complexity and need to re-work parts of the code, or the developer scheduled to lead a particular new feature leaves the company, or is pulled onto a project considered a more urgent need, or a change in Quicken Mac requires coordination with changes by the Quicken web and/or Quicken Windows teams, or…

Quicken has chosen to not share any details of their development schedule publicly because they feel it is better than pre-announcing something and then failing to deliver.

Quicken feature updates are release throughout the year, not annually as used to be the case in decades gone by. Usually Quicken Mac has a feature update at least every other month, sometimes a little more frequently. But some of those new releases contain small enhancements, or even big enhancements which may only be of interest to some users.

By the way, when you post here, understand that you're not talking directly to Quicken management. the handful of Quicken moderators are typically the only Quicken staff who read posts on this forum; with Idea posts like this, the thread is shared with the development team when they are considering which features to implement, but they don't necessarily continue reading the thread, and no one from the development team or management ever posts replies here about their future plans.

Sorry, I know that's not the reply you were seeking, but describes reality. 😉

• knf423
    knf423 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I assume that after 6.5 years of this request, we can assume this will never happen.

• jacobs
    Options

I assume that after 6.5 years of this request, we can assume this will never happen.

There's no basis for that assumption. There are about a dozen ideas which date back 6 or more years which have recently been changed to "Planned" status.

If the developers definitely decided not to implement this feature request, it would have been changed to "Not Planned". Since it remains "Under Consideration", that means they are either still undecided, or they may support the idea but not yet have it scheduled on their development roadmap.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• IB
    IB Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Anja! This is good news; for Quicken and for Quicken users.

• knf423
    knf423 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

That’s great news!

• lsourdis
    lsourdis Member
    Options

Adding my vote for adding Life Planner to Mac as well, I had to revert back to Windows version as this planning capability is a most to me.

• Rebelrockstar
    Rebelrockstar Member
    Options

please update. I feel misled by your website. See image below it clearly says lifetime planner is included in classic deluxe. But its nit available on mac. This seems illegal.

• kenheif
    kenheif Member
    Options

I have been a Quicken for Windows used for quite some time, and need to switch to Quicken for Mac. I am VERY disappointed to hear that the Lifetime Planner feature is not available for the Mac version. This will strongly influence my decision as to whether to continue with Quicken or change to another financial software.

• jacobs
    Options

I am VERY disappointed to hear that the Lifetime Planner feature is not available for the Mac version. This will strongly influence my decision as to whether to continue with Quicken or change to another financial software.

@kenheif I don't know how much of the thread you've seen, but after years of users asking for this feature, the developers last fall changed its status to "Planned". That means it's been assigned time for development on the schedule. So if you can survive without it for a while, it's coming. 😉