How to copy Categories from one file to another?

Unknown
Unknown Member
I am using Quicken 2016 R12.  My old checking account is corrupt and will not update.  I started a new file.  How can I transfer the categories from my old account to the new one?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Why did you start a new file, instead of just closing the corrupt account and starting a new one?

And, sorry, but there is no way to copy/transfer just the categories to a new file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm not in front of my system right now, but if memory serves me correctly, you can export the categories in QIF format and then import the QIF into a new file. Again, I'm going by memory here - from a while back - but I think this will transfer the entire category list. I seem to remember moving my category list that way once upon a time. That being said, there are methods to scrub corruption; are you certain you exhausted those? Closing the account is not the only option to address corruption.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

I'm not in front of my system right now, but if memory serves me correctly, you can export the categories in QIF format and then import the QIF into a new file. Again, I'm going by memory here - from a while back - but I think this will transfer the entire category list. I seem to remember moving my category list that way once upon a time. That being said, there are methods to scrub corruption; are you certain you exhausted those? Closing the account is not the only option to address corruption.

Yes you certainly can move the categories from one data file to another using QIF, but that in fact doesn't matter at all in this case.

First off it doesn't even sound like the category list is the problem.
    It sounds like the assignment of the categories in the register are corrupted.
    That has very little to do with what is on the list.

Importing a new list will not magically assign any category to any transaction.
    It is not a method to fix transactions no matter what the cause.
    As in say an item in the list got deleted.  It would of course mean that any transaction assigned to it will now not have that category.

Adding the missing category back manually or through an import isn't going to magically fix the transactions.

The only way to restore categories in transactions (other than restoring from a back up) is to try to restore them using a QIF export/import of the transactions.

And to do that is opening the door to tons of problems.  If at all possible a restore from backup is the way to go.
  • Arctic Hare
    edited March 2020

I can't speak for the OP, but in my case, I wanted to move all of the custom categories created in one file to another file and I was successful in doing that. In that sense I was factually answering the OPs question. I do maintain it was probably possible to overcome the corruption. I didn't infer that the OP was asking how to import the category assignments in the register..
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

You can also "move" categories and other lists using a Quicken copy. If you want everything except transactions, just set the date on the Quicken copy far enough in the future to be later than any transaction date.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Marcy Jones
    Marcy Jones Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Lucky you that you didn't eliminate the corrupted file. One of my banks had a new system we all had to download a year ago. Saved it all, along with all my other newly imported data and backed up. Reopened and the original 8 year account gone for good, with only recent months activity under a new account name. Had to go to back up file and hand re-enter, just did two years, to do my taxes.
       Does this mean I could have done the gif from the old back up and brought it into new bank account register?  I would still like to fix this as all my earlier tax reports from previous years were corrupted when the account went missing. All transfers between banks were screwed up.
  • Arctic Hare
    edited March 2020

@Marcy: I'm not certain I clearly and fully understand your question, but you could test exporting one or more accounts in QiF format (not gif) and then importing into another file. There are several option parameters that can be specified to customize this process. However, it is important to note that QIF doesn't support all Quicken's features and functionality. Transfers are a weakness of QIF ports. QIF has utility but it is far from comprehensive. A lot more specific information would be required to give you an exact and certain answer. You might want to test drive the QIF functionality with copies of your files.
  • Marcy Jones
    Marcy Jones Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Artic, Many thanks. I'll check out qif  solution V-E-R-Y carefully! 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    On a related note, since Quicken is moving away from the QIF format, and QMac no longer supports it, there is a request to implement the same export/import functionality using QXF, as that seems to be the new format Quicken is moving forward with. So, you may want to add your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.