Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription for Security/Privacy (28 Legacy Votes)

miklk
miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Login and Passwords

I think we NEED the ability to add at least 1 extra Quicken ID to a Subscription.

Most importantly the way it is now, you cannot use mobile at all if you have more than one data file unless you want the other user to have read and write access to the SYNCed Accounts that are fully exposed to all users sharing QuickenID subscription on mobile app.

Many users are not even aware that another household member can read/write to their SYNCed accounts if using mobile

In addition, this would give the ability to get a 2nd credit score also.

The mobile overlap is a VERY serious oversight IMO and should be fixed this way or another.

Many people (like myself) maintain more than one data file in addition to our own for Elderly Parents, Spouses, College Children, Organizations, etc...

4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jay Libove
    Jay Libove Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Now that Quicken has separated from Intuit, and Quicken has forced us to create and use a Quicken Account instead of our previous Intuit accounts, we see the limitations of Quicken's 2-factor authentication implementation.
    My wife and I share a Quicken account, as I imagine do many families who use Quicken.
    But "my" (our!) one Quicken account has only one mobile phone number associated with it .. which creates a problem when one or the other of us needs to login to the Quicken account.
    The right solution to this is to enhance Quicken Accounts' 2-factor authentication to support multiple types and multiple instances of each type - that is, a second mobile phone number, or a couple of Google Authenticators, or a couple of FIDO keys, etc.
    Please, don't prolong this mistake along the lines of the ignorant idiocy that the US Social Security Administration perpetrated against the public last year - get 2-factor right, fast!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sounds like a good idea.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I'll "second" this recommendation.  

The "old" INTUIT site at least supported TOTP and/or HMAC for two-factor authentication (2FA) access to their web site. (e.g. Google Authenticator, )

Question to Quicken:  "When is Quicken going to implement at least this level of 2FA -- previously available under Intuit?

The use of mobile-phone SMS (texts) is a terribly insecure and "backwards" way to pass authentication credentials in the current environment given the potential "hacks" available to the mobile phone network.

PLEASE at least re-implement the previously-available Google Authenticator type functionality soonest.

Given that Quicken is attempting "cloud-base" individual's personal financial info ...

... quicken.com should seriously consider implementing one of the stronger, hardware token based authentication options available and online TODAY.  e.g. FIDO U2F

Looking forward to a meaningful reply,
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    How about if a desktop file is locked with a password, then the mobile data associated with that file would require the same password. Would that solve the issue without multiple IDs?

Or maybe that's true already? (I don't use mobile, so I wouldn't know.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2018
    Isn't that the idea of a subscription product?

It's licensed to YOU.  And even though you can install it on as many computers as you'd like, and use as many Quicken data files as you'd like, it's still a one user subscription...and thus the ONE Quicken ID requirement.

EVERY other piece of software that I purchase a license for (Dropbox, Parallels, CleanMyMac...even Microsoft Office) is ONE user software.  And in the case of Parallels, CleanMyMac and Microsoft Office, they are also ONE computer per license. (MIcrosoft desktop version, not the subscription product---Mac AND Windows versions.)  

I think the restriction from a Quicken Inc standpoint is an important one.

It was way too easy in the past to download copies of Quicken and then distribute them.  You could unscrupulously hand out copies of the software to anyone you know...or even didn't know.  Counterfeit copies of Quicken were available all over the internet, including eBay.  All you had to do was burn a CD with the software on it or copy the download file to any media available and hand it out.   

By limiting the Quicken subscription to what's basically one user, Quicken will remove a lot of the illegal counterfeiting of it's software.  Sure, if you're best buddy wants a copy you can still give him the download...but you'll now have to give him YOUR Quicken ID too to match up with it.

Now, I know what everyone will be saying.  Well, my kids or my wife have their own data file...and they want to have access to their own credit score and sync their file with the mobile app.

And to that I would say...buy another subscription.  That's what subscriptions do.  It's one Quicken per one user.  
  • miklk
    edited October 2017
    RickO said:

How about if a desktop file is locked with a password, then the mobile data associated with that file would require the same password. Would that solve the issue without multiple IDs?

Or maybe that's true already? (I don't use mobile, so I wouldn't know.)

That would solve the mobile data exposed but would still leave the less important issues of 1 credit score and billing info on ID exposed in addition to just requiring sharing QuickenID and password?

It would be a step in right direction but a separate ID would keep things completely segregated as in the past and as it should be.

I can see it implemented on the server side by allowing the subscribed user to login and add a new QuickenID to be used by the other household user so there was no interaction with any features in Quicken. 
  • miklk
    edited January 2019
    Up to a point I agree with the subscription model BUT Quicken is different in several ways. The main one is that it deals with finances which requires extra security.  They have opened up a giant security hole by the way they have implemented the subscription. If they were to fix the overlapping features any way they want, I can deal with the one QuickenID limit subscription.

I find the mobile exposing my data and requiring me to give login ID and passwords as unacceptable. Even though it is in my household, I do not want to give my passwords out and that should never be required.

You say people want to SYNC their files with the mobile app; I would say that is a feature of the software that they have been building up and I am NOT able to use it at all now! 

If I subscribe to Office or any other subscription, I am able to use all the features and keep our files separate. The other users has the software but not access to my password protected files. My email provider gives multiple emails for same reasons.
  • mshiggins
    edited January 2018
    ProGolfer said:

It's licensed to YOU.  And even though you can install it on as many computers as you'd like, and use as many Quicken data files as you'd like, it's still a one user subscription...and thus the ONE Quicken ID requirement.

EVERY other piece of software that I purchase a license for (Dropbox, Parallels, CleanMyMac...even Microsoft Office) is ONE user software.  And in the case of Parallels, CleanMyMac and Microsoft Office, they are also ONE computer per license. (MIcrosoft desktop version, not the subscription product---Mac AND Windows versions.)  

It was way too easy in the past to download copies of Quicken and then distribute them.  You could unscrupulously hand out copies of the software to anyone you know...or even didn't know.  Counterfeit copies of Quicken were available all over the internet, including eBay.  All you had to do was burn a CD with the software on it or copy the download file to any media available and hand it out.   

By limiting the Quicken subscription to what's basically one user, Quicken will remove a lot of the illegal counterfeiting of it's software.  Sure, if you're best buddy wants a copy you can still give him the download...but you'll now have to give him YOUR Quicken ID too to match up with it.

Now, I know what everyone will be saying.  Well, my kids or my wife have their own data file...and they want to have access to their own credit score and sync their file with the mobile app.

And to that I would say...buy another subscription.  That's what subscriptions do.  It's one Quicken per one user.  

I am the one and only user. I am not pirating or sharing the software. I just happen to manage files for several others and have a requirement to keep each tax entity's data separate. With this new 1 QID per subscription model, I would need several subscriptions. Not a practical solution.

• pbug56
    pbug56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a few issues with the subscription.  First is that it nearly triples the cost of ownership for me - with one ID.  Plus this high cost ignores that so much is broken right now and that support is nearly non existent.  And since this mess started credit scores have not worked for lots of users - and no fix is in sight.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I haven't tried this in my production setup but during testing I created many a Quicken ID for a variety of data files. Is it possible you are confusing product registration with data file association? Each data file used on a registered product can have a unique Quicken ID associated with it. At least that was the case during testing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

I haven't tried this in my production setup but during testing I created many a Quicken ID for a variety of data files. Is it possible you are confusing product registration with data file association? Each data file used on a registered product can have a unique Quicken ID associated with it. At least that was the case during testing.

markus1957, in Quicken 2018 the subscription is tied to the Quicken Id.

So sure you can create as many Quicken Ids as you like, and associate different data files with them, but only ones tied to a subscription will work with online services.

This different than what would work with Quicken 2017 and below, which aren't tied to a subscription.
  • mshiggins
    edited October 2017

Mark, there are a couple of lounge posts discussing this topic.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    BTW you marked this Idea as "Windows".  It really should be both Windows and Mac.
  • markus1957
    edited October 2017

OK it took some fiddling around but I now have QW2018 Premier R2.3 running the file associated with my production ID and another new file associated with my testing ID. I confirmed on Quicken.com that their are no products associated with my testing ID account.

In both instances, after opening each data file, in Help>About Quicken the product subscription remains associated with my production ID. I was actually able to go in and delete cloud accounts created in testing with that ID.

Initially, when I tried to create the new file with my testing ID, it took me through the product registration screen and wanted me to buy a new subscription. I closed Quicken and re-opened it finding the new file had been created but Help>About Quicken indicated the subscription was expired. Update Quotes would not work indicating I needed a subscription. Without closing Quicken, using the menu to open my production file associated with the subscription ID, caused the same problem showing an expired subscription in Help> About Quicken.

I closed Quicken and opened it again, I was prompted to sign in to Quicken and used my production ID. My production file opened and all subscription info in Help>About Quicken was correct. Then without closing Quicken, using the file menu I open the new file associated with my testing ID; it opened and this time Help>About Quicken showed the valid subscription associated with my production ID. Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID showed my testing ID was associated with the data file. I was able to update quotes and added 2 direct connect credit cards. Several open/closes of Quicken show both files are accessible and fully functional. 

This is the behavior I would expect; e.g., the product software registration process is maintained separately from the data file association process. I also expect this is the behavior Quicken desires, but in any case a behavior many users would find helpful. Apparently it is currently built-in, except that there are some issues in the coding that are intermingling the 2 processes when a new file is created.

I can't be certain of the exact steps to work around this issue (they are similar to what I described above) but maybe others can successfully stumble into the exact set of steps needed to work around this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

Well even though it sounds like you found a hole in their system that allows you to do this (one that I would expect Quicken Inc to close if they look into it), this certainly not what miklk is requesting.  As an official way to use multiple Quicken Ids per subscription (or at least a way to block others using his Quicken Id, from accessing his mobile data.)
  • markus1957
    edited October 2017

To the contrary, this is exactly what is needed to segregate cloud data file sets and does not jeopardize Quicken's control of software registration. A valid ID associated with a subscription is needed to activate the software. Only the user who activated the software can pirate the process to another user by providing the master Quicken subscription ID and password. There are a variety of rather simple means to track unsubscribed ID's being used with registered products if that is the concern.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

I was saying that the user shouldn't have to jump through hoops, and look for workarounds (holes that might be closed in the future).  There should be a set procedure, announced to the general public, on how to use multiple Quicken Ids with one subscription.
  • mshiggins
    edited October 2017

Mark, are you able to download transactions with both QIDs?

• Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    ProGolfer said:

In a way...it is a practical solution.  The Quicken ID and subscription is supposed to be 1 user.  You are not one user.  You're handling others financial matters.

Thus, in Quicken's view, you'll need more than one subscription.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    miklk said:

Up to a point I agree with the subscription model BUT Quicken is different in several ways. The main one is that it deals with finances which requires extra security.  They have opened up a giant security hole by the way they have implemented the subscription. If they were to fix the overlapping features any way they want, I can deal with the one QuickenID limit subscription.

I find the mobile exposing my data and requiring me to give login ID and passwords as unacceptable. Even though it is in my household, I do not want to give my passwords out and that should never be required.

You say people want to SYNC their files with the mobile app; I would say that is a feature of the software that they have been building up and I am NOT able to use it at all now! 

If I subscribe to Office or any other subscription, I am able to use all the features and keep our files separate. The other users has the software but not access to my password protected files. My email provider gives multiple emails for same reasons.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.  

YOU think it's a security issue with using one Quicken ID per subscription.

Actually, from Quicken's viewpoint, you'd need more than one subscription.  And it's intended that way.  
  • markus1957
    edited November 2017

QPW, agreed. Higgins, yes both files download transactions and each has a unique ID. 

Adding Day 5- I verified this on my test machine with a fresh installation of Quicken. Once a file with the membership QID is established, a file with a different ID can be used/created. Just close Quicken when presented with the membership purchase screen. Re-open Quicken and sign in with your membership QID file, then switch over to the file with the different ID just as you would have in the past. You won't continue to be prompted with the membership screen or MFA security texts when switching between files during your current session or in my case, future sessions to date.

Adding Day 6- Trying OSU with my non-membership ID on my production machine  prompted the MFA screen and purchase screen. Following the Day 5 process again restored function to both the membership and non-membership ID files with no further MFA prompts or purchase screens. Not sure if this is related to using my test machine yesterday or a periodic check for a membership ID. Time will tell. Closing this back-door if that's what it is could be difficult because Quicken needs to maintain the ability to open old data files that may not have been associated with a membership QID.

Adding Day 14- Daily OSU's on my main membership ID file have been running without further prompts for my ID. Today I used OSU on my non-membership ID file for the first time in a week. I was not prompted for a QID so I suspect the prompts last week were the result of the testing I did on my test machine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    ProGolfer said:

Frankly I don't know what "Quicken's view" is.

And I think that Quicken Inc should really think about it, and come up with some definitive answers before they "get in trouble".

For instance right now they are saying you can share your Quicken Id (and by proxy subscription/downloading/installing, ...) with as many people as you like.

Well what if the "as many people as I like" is setting up a website where I purchase one subscription and put the Quicken Id an and password on it?

Clearly not what they would want, but they have left it completely open!

Second they are coming from a license that was basically a "household" license, and now it is a "subscription", but they have not specified that it is for an "individual".  In fact with the above statement about sharing the Quicken Id with whoever you want implies that they just opened the flood gates that the people you share it with don't have to be in your household.
  • miklk
    edited October 2017
    QPW said:

BTW you marked this Idea as "Windows".  It really should be both Windows and Mac.

I figured it applied to MAC but since I never used it, I didn't know.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Progolfer, do you work for Quicken Inc or do you have some insider knowledge? If you don't then how could you possibly know what Quicken Inc intends?

• Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    miklk said:

Because that's how subscriptions work.  Haven't you ever purchased software for your computer?  I'm sure you have.  When you purchase it, you purchase a license to use it.

In almost all cases, that license allows you ONE single installation on a computer.  If you buy a new PC, you need to de-activate the single use license and then re-enter it on the new machine.

Subscriptions don't give you carte blanche to install the software AND use it on as many machines as you'd like.

That's the basis behind the Quicken subscription.  But they don't have the restriction of one machine.  What they DO have is that it's one user license.

I don't see this as an outrageous or unreasonable restriction.  From a subscription standpoint, you shouldn't be allowed to have unlimited users using your subscription, such as children, parents, siblings, spouse etc WITH their OWN DATA FILE.  

You're handling many other Quicken data files.  Good for you.  Quicken's subscription license will allow you to do that.  However, don't expect your cloud based information associated with your subscription to NOT be included in the other data files, such as YOUR credit score and your Mobile Sync file...as they are linked to YOUR subscription.

How is that unreasonable?  You may not like it...and it may not be convenient for you...or even safe if your data is exposed...but that's the way subscriptions work.  
  • miklk
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

I do NOT think it is reasonable for the mobile or other personal data to be visible to other users that are allowed to share my installation in accordance with their policy.
    I consider that a very serious oversight and security/privacy problem regardless of what you think Quicken wants or expects. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    miklk said:

Well, I don't think Quicken intends for you to be sharing your installation with other users.

THAT'S the point. 
  • miklk
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Quicken has always been users in household which indicates to me they do expect spouse or other household members to be using Quicken. 
    Let's agree to disagree.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019

@miklk ....  I take it that they finally wised up!   Gone are the days when you can buy a copy of Quicken and give it to all the family members, Fred down the street and Larry at work and ... etc..

Suggest you realize Quicken, Inc. is not going to change it's stance on this.

[removed]
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    miklk said:

Heck...I used to see Quicken "selling" on eBay for peanuts...disk only of course.  Knowing full well that those were bootleg copies of Quicken.

I also saw Quicken on several nefarious websites "for free" download, with users reporting they could install and register the pirated software with no problems.

This subscription eliminates all that.  And good for Quicken Inc for wising up.