Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription for Security/Privacy (28 Legacy Votes)

1235»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

That pretty much sums it up.

Credit Score is directly tied to QID so that is restricted to the 1 Social Security Number originally associated with it. Not great but since it is a minor feature and other users would be in same household, no big deal. The QID also has a phone number/ Email associated with the QID and that should remain separate as 1 per household assuring Quicken company that it stays in the same household.

The REAL problem is as stated above:

To share 1 QID in a household (mother, children, etc..), you CANNOT do it (as we always have for 20 years with Quickens blessing) without giving all users access via mobile or Web to all SYNCed accounts and transactions which is unacceptable IMO. (Mobile/WEB is becoming a bigger part of Quicken moving forward so we really NEED to be able to keep files separate.)

The multiple license would help as originally thought of but they have implemented a strange "feature" that monitors for a QID change making it harder to use multiple QIDs anyway so that is not even a great solution anymore. (It would work but other solutions seem easier)

There is simple implementations that can also work such as requiring a file password to access  or switch files in Mobile/Web without changing how it is all handled now. (Each user would have there own password associated with their mobile Dataset Name) It can be an option to avoid all users needing mobile datasetID passwords. To me, that would be the easiest fix.

Seems like there are several fairly easy solutions but I have had this discussion with them many times and have been told something will be done for this BUT I am afraid there are not enough users (like ME) that have this problem. People that are not effected by this problem seem to not understand the problem. Mobile/Web still has many problems BUT is is not reasonable to just say users that have more than 1 household user should just not SYNC ever? It is supposed to be a usable feature.

Granted...so is Quicken designed so that the sync does not happen across files? If so, what is the key to manages/controls that? If it is properly managed, then this is a non-issue. Just needs to be clarified.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

Credit Score is directly tied to QID so that is restricted to the 1 Social Security Number originally associated with it. Not great but since it is a minor feature and other users would be in same household, no big deal. The QID also has a phone number/ Email associated with the QID and that should remain separate as 1 per household assuring Quicken company that it stays in the same household.

To share 1 QID in a household (mother, children, etc..), you CANNOT do it (as we always have for 20 years with Quickens blessing) without giving all users access via mobile or Web to all SYNCed accounts and transactions which is unacceptable IMO. (Mobile/WEB is becoming a bigger part of Quicken moving forward so we really NEED to be able to keep files separate.)

The multiple license would help as originally thought of but they have implemented a strange "feature" that monitors for a QID change making it harder to use multiple QIDs anyway so that is not even a great solution anymore. (It would work but other solutions seem easier)

There is simple implementations that can also work such as requiring a file password to access  or switch files in Mobile/Web without changing how it is all handled now. (Each user would have there own password associated with their mobile Dataset Name) It can be an option to avoid all users needing mobile datasetID passwords. To me, that would be the easiest fix.

Seems like there are several fairly easy solutions but I have had this discussion with them many times and have been told something will be done for this BUT I am afraid there are not enough users (like ME) that have this problem. People that are not effected by this problem seem to not understand the problem. Mobile/Web still has many problems BUT is is not reasonable to just say users that have more than 1 household user should just not SYNC ever? It is supposed to be a usable feature.

OK, back to my discussion...

So, I understand that it's ONE Quicken ID...but you don't necessarily have to share that QID and password with ANYONE else...just get them started by setting up THEIR file.

So, once again...that would eliminate using YOUR data (or any data, for that matter) on a mobile device or Quicken Web...because BOTH of those require QID and password to access.

So, even more once again, what's the big deal then?  Basically, it's ONE QID and password and ONLY ONE mobile device and web login usage.  The other people using data files with YOUR QID and password just won't be able to use mobile access/sync or Quicken Web. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that as a problem.  For example, if my daughter wants her own Quicken data file, I'd just start one for her.  She could download Quicken on her own computer, I would log in with my QID and password and away she goes.  

I'd just make it clear she can't use the mobile feature and the web feature.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

Periodically, Quicken will require you to login again, so you are suggesting that when that happens, they have to wait for the "owner" to get home or "visit at college" or wherever so that they can be logged in again.

The younger set tend to like their mobile devices more and keeping them from using QMobile may not be practical.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    miklk said:

"ref: I'd just make it clear she can't use the mobile feature and the web feature."

That is a great example of why I said people that have not been using Quicken with more than 1 household user just do not seem to understand the problem.

Telling someone they can use 1/2 the program is not an answer; Especially for younger people who will be most likely to want mobile/web. There are default actions that want to SYNC, shared credit score, and what ever else they may keep adding.  The other users may not want their data accessed by the main user either.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    miklk said:

So again, to summarize the issues based on this and other related discussions (here, and here (this last link is only accessible to authorized members)), the problem is not only privacy, since any user with access to the QID can access data from another data file that is synced to the QCloud, there is also a problem where co-mingling of data can happen either intentionally or not with any data file synced to the QCloud, and that the causes of this are somewhat technical and even not fully predictable. 

This is juxtaposed to comments recently made by Quicken Sarah here.

And as I pointed out above, there is still the question of how this file sync feature in QMac factors in.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    miklk said:

Quicken Sarah here that tries to clarify many points:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-specify-sync-of-one-quicken-file-between-...

Bottom line is that it seems like the issue/risk about co-mingling has been addressed, at least in QWin...confirmation regarding QMac is pending...

So the primary issue outstanding is privacy with multiple users, typically in same 'household'. It seems that Quicken has made a silent shift in the meaning of 'personal' without communicating this that I believe is part of the disconnect in expectations among users, especially long-timers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Herman Mittelman
    Herman Mittelman Member
    edited January 2019
    I found at least two old threads in which people asked about tracking multiple credit scores (i.e. spouse, adult dependent, etc.):
    4 years ago:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-we-get-multiple-credit-scores-my-wife-i
    2 years ago:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/adding-a-2nd-credit-score

I think it would be nice being able to track and stay on top of all credit scores in our household in the app that I open almost daily: Quicken.

Is this on the road map for new/improved features?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
     Credit Report?
    My family has two responsible adults. Does this product allow one credit report or two?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Credit Report?
    My family has two responsible adults. Does this product allow one credit report or two?

Hello Dennis,

Currently, the credit score is only limited to one credit report.

I have you moved you to an Idea thread on this topic.

Our development team reviews the Idea posts to get an Idea of what people would like to see.

I apologize we don't have a solution for your request at this time.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Credit Report?

Yes, at the moment one ID = One Score under the subscription model.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I understand the reasoning with the one Quicken ID. However, as others I think have suggested, it would be nice if the individual data files on the mobile/web could use the same password as is used on the desktop. It's not about trying to cheat Quicken at all. (At least for us). As an employee, the business owners only want me having access to one of the data files. They have others that they don't want me to have access to. However, they want to use the sync option, so they can view on their Ipads, but if they do, I then have access to the files I'm not supposed to have access to. 

It seems like this should be legitimate.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I understand the reasoning with the one Quicken ID. However, as others I think have suggested, it would be nice if the individual data files on the mobile/web could use the same password as is used on the desktop. It's not about trying to cheat Quicken at all. (At least for us). As an employee, the business owners only want me having access to one of the data files. They have others that they don't want me to have access to. However, they want to use the sync option, so they can view on their Ipads, but if they do, I then have access to the files I'm not supposed to have access to. 

True... and this situation would arise in a private context regardless...

just do keep in mind that Quicken is personal financial software, so it may be that as a business usage, you may still need multiple licenses in the spirit of their license model. Just sayin'...

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

Several ways they can address this but having option in mobile/web to honor password seems like the easiest. (even without sharing problem it should probably honor file passwords as there are

many reasons users want password on files.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

That would seem the most straightforward solution.

• Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled More Than One Credit Score in Quicken Premier.

Quicken Premier
    Year: 2019
    Version: R17.6
    Build: 27.1.17.6

To: Quicken Support

In the past I have been able to get a credit score for myself, then switch data files to a "credit score only" file for my spouse. This no longer works as the product will not accept my spouse's ID without an additional subscription. 

(1) Why weren't quicken users notified that this feature was being removed? Credit Score for both my spouse and me was one of the primary reasons I purchased Premier - it was a great convenience to have it within the Quicken product for both of us, even though it was a slight pain to have to use a different 'dummy' data file to get the second report.

(2) I would like to suggest that either allow at least two credit scores with the same subscription (even with a slight surcharge for more than one) or discontinue the credit score feature altogether. I venture to guess that most households have need for at least two credit scores and maybe more. The point is do it right or don't do it at all. 

(3) I know that some credit card companies offer 'free' credit scores, but that is beside the point as it causes me to go to another product with other logins to accomplish what Quicken Premier should provide by default. I found the 'reminder' that showed up for credit score refresh convenient as well.

Please pass this feedback to the proper channel for consideration.

Thank you
    David Hite