Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription for Security/Privacy (28 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I can understand Quicken's one id per subscription as it stands now.  Perhaps they could provide a "business" subscription that would be priced according to how many id's you could manage.  It isn't fair to Quicken (or any software maker) to provide software that potentially allows a business person to handle multiple id's (customers to the user) even if those id's belong to a family member, however, that doesn't say they couldn't provide different models at different pricing.  

Tom Parker but this software is different in that with Word you type the document and give it to someone, you don’t let them sign onto your id to view it and everything else you did, nor do you get multiple ids with that Office program unless it is a corporate office program on a server and they are paying for so many ids. To meet your needs quicken should provide it with different pricing which opens up the option for multiple ids for those who need it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I am not sure why they don't allow an option for a discounted family plan with multiple accounts?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Hi All,
    Thank you for your feedback--to set proper expectations, for the time being, this one Quicken ID to many files will not change, as this is the nature of the subscription product; we do hear your feedback, but right now I'm marking this as Not Planned.  It's possible we'll revisit this, but it won't change in the near future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I posted a closely related, if not identical topic here, and [Quicken?] Sona Mohan has strongly suggested that it's coming.  Possible that product management has changed their minds; also possible Ms. Mohan is mistaken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    pbug56 said:

I have a few issues with the subscription.  First is that it nearly triples the cost of ownership for me - with one ID.  Plus this high cost ignores that so much is broken right now and that support is nearly non existent.  And since this mess started credit scores have not worked for lots of users - and no fix is in sight.

If someone is using Quicken for somebody else's financial matters I don't consider that something that requires a separate subscription if the software is only installed on one computer and the original purchaser is the only one using it.  I handle somebody else's financial matters with Quicken and have a separate data file for that person.

I have Quicken 2017 installed on only one computer.  I believe the 2017 version allows installing on two computers, but why bother having it in two places for myself.  I have two laptops so for software that allows it I will install on both if needed.  For Quicken I don't see a reason for it.  I tried it once then put the data file on OneDrive.  OneDrive kept changing the file name so it was problematic.  I uninstalled the other Quicken copy.

As for activation, deactivating software is usually not an option.  Most software doesn't have anywhere to deactivate in the software.  Adobe is one of the few that has it.  I think Quicken's version of deactivating is logging out of your Quicken account.  I wish when I have to reinstall it they would have an option to not have to register again.  Many times Windows 10 acts up and I have to reinstall.  Nobody takes that into consideration when sneaky updates behind our back cause problems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Up to a point I agree with the subscription model BUT Quicken is different in several ways. The main one is that it deals with finances which requires extra security.  They have opened up a giant security hole by the way they have implemented the subscription. If they were to fix the overlapping features any way they want, I can deal with the one QuickenID limit subscription.

I find the mobile exposing my data and requiring me to give login ID and passwords as unacceptable. Even though it is in my household, I do not want to give my passwords out and that should never be required.

You say people want to SYNC their files with the mobile app; I would say that is a feature of the software that they have been building up and I am NOT able to use it at all now! 

If I subscribe to Office or any other subscription, I am able to use all the features and keep our files separate. The other users has the software but not access to my password protected files. My email provider gives multiple emails for same reasons.

I would check the license agreement for any version of Quicken you are using.  I'm not sure myself, but I think I saw somewhere for the 2017 version it could be installed on two computers.  However I believe it also says the two versions cannot be used at the same time.  One software company I know refers to it being like one book that can't be read by another person at the same time.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Up to a point I agree with the subscription model BUT Quicken is different in several ways. The main one is that it deals with finances which requires extra security.  They have opened up a giant security hole by the way they have implemented the subscription. If they were to fix the overlapping features any way they want, I can deal with the one QuickenID limit subscription.

I find the mobile exposing my data and requiring me to give login ID and passwords as unacceptable. Even though it is in my household, I do not want to give my passwords out and that should never be required.

You say people want to SYNC their files with the mobile app; I would say that is a feature of the software that they have been building up and I am NOT able to use it at all now! 

If I subscribe to Office or any other subscription, I am able to use all the features and keep our files separate. The other users has the software but not access to my password protected files. My email provider gives multiple emails for same reasons.

2017 and earlier allow installing on up to 3 computers within the same household and can be used simultaneously, just not on the same data file. Installation is on an honour system.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    miklk said:

I didn't know it was three.  That's pretty generous of them.  I only see a need on one computer, but I can see families in the same household needing it if they use their own data file.  Now that Quicken has gone subscription only, they should offer a better deal for multiple users like Microsoft does for their Office software.

They also shouldn't have abandoned perpetual software.  Not everybody likes paying for software forever and end up owning nothing if they stop.  They got that from Adobe who did the same thing years ago when they dropped a bomb on us that the next version was going to be subscription.  This is a good way to lose customers and if nothing changes I can't see Quicken sticking around very long especially since it isn't exactly the type of software that should be subscription only.  History shows that updates/upgrades just don't justify it and these forums are proof of that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Quicken has always been a subscription product.  You paid to continue downloads, online functions, updates and support every 3 to 3 1/2 years.  Now it's one year, two years or 27 months depending on the plan you select.  

If your subscription expires, you can continue to use Quicken in a manual entry mode (except for Starter Edition).  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

@William Boswell
    They also shouldn't have abandoned perpetual software.  Not everybody
    likes paying for software forever and end up owning nothing if they
    stop.
    Except for the new restriction which applies only to Starter Edition, what has changed except for the length of support and online banking from pre-2018 versions of Quicken?  It used to be 3 years, now it depends on the length of the subscription purchased.

I think you need to re-read the discontinuation policy: Discontinuation Policy

After you have read it, please enlighten me.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Since Quicken 2008, Quicken has always had an end of life for online
    functions, requiring you to re-purchase to continue with those services.
    In fact it is before Quicken 2008.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

@William Boswell, 2018 now allows an unlimited # of installs. The caveat is that all the data files have to be linked to the same Quicken ID. This limits you to having to expose your data to all users of the same ID via Mobile and to only being able to have one Credit score, for examples.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

I only need one install and live by myself so I have no worries of others accessing my data.  I also do not put my bank account or investment information in Quicken since I manually add to Quicken and no longer use bank downloads.  I always had problems with that and in most cases (earlier versions) it messed up my manual entries so I stopped using it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

QPW, The issue is not end of life because all software has an end of life where they no longer support old software.  Yes it's likely we have to upgrade eventually, but we should be able to do it on our terms not the company's.  Subscription allows upgrades as long as you keep paying.  Once locked into subscription there may not be any option to return to an old version.  Rather than pay forever for a subscription I'll keep using old outdated software until it dies or something better is available.  Right now there is nothing comparable available.  I've tried what's out there and it is all garbage.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I haven't tried this in my production setup but during testing I created many a Quicken ID for a variety of data files. Is it possible you are confusing product registration with data file association? Each data file used on a registered product can have a unique Quicken ID associated with it. At least that was the case during testing.

I wish software companies would get rid of logging into their software especially if we have no need for an internet connection.  I find it very unnecessary especially when it causes problems.  I know of several companies that require it and now they're all jumping on that bandwagon.  It's just another form of control.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I haven't tried this in my production setup but during testing I created many a Quicken ID for a variety of data files. Is it possible you are confusing product registration with data file association? Each data file used on a registered product can have a unique Quicken ID associated with it. At least that was the case during testing.

I wish software companies would get rid of logging into their software
    especially if we have no need for an internet connection.
    Quicken has a lot of need for an Internet connection.  The list goes on and on of how it is being used.

Yes, there is a use case where you don't use the Internet, but let's face probably 90% or more of their customers don't use it that way.

So, in fact that use case (manual entry) is now going to be programmed as the exception not the rule.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I only started doing it manually because some time ago the bank downloads weren't working for me and often wiped out my Memo field.  I like adding what transactions were for because it is very useful later.  Others probably don't even put anything in the Memo field or don't have a use for it.  I use it all of the time and I also split transactions for some items.  I never had much luck with that either with bank downloads.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I did manual entry when I first got Quicken in 1992 because there wasn't any choice.  I kept that up for about two years, but I got tired of bring home my receipts and such.  I didn't start using Quicken again till 1996 when I could do downloading of transactions.  I mostly use accounts where I can set them up with Direct Connect, and for the most part they have been free of problems.  I have a Macy's credit card account that has to be setup Express Web Connect, and I can expect it to give me problems about once every two months, for about a week.  I would drop it, but my wife loves Macy's and the discounts she can get with the card.

I can pretty much say that if I didn't have downloading of transactions, I wouldn't be using Quicken.  And I think that goes for most people.  That is why the "discontinuing of online services" is such a big hammer for getting people to pay for a new version of Quicken, and I believe that will be why most people will eventually just go with the subscription.  In fact it isn't really any different than what old model for paying was.

As for the memo.  Most of my downloads don't have anything in them, but I do have a CostCo/Citi card that puts in the member name as the payee.  I don't like it, but like you said I'm in the group that doesn't really used the memo and as such I just ignore it.

Since these transactions are matched to memorized payees I could override the downloaded memo with one of my own, but unfortunately you can't override it to empty.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

I've been using Quicken since the 1980's when it was in DOS format so I'm not a new user.  I usually upgraded each time a new version came out except in 2000 when one of my banks offered similar software.  In more recent years I don't upgrade with every new release because nothing really changes or justifies upgrading unless to fix the bugs that weren't fixed before.

I hate dealing with the receipts too especially when I have a lot of them for one day.  I have about ten different accounts in one Quicken data file.  I had them separated by bank, but that became a problem jumping back and forth to different files.

I only prefer doing it manually so Quicken or the bank don't screw things up which has happened before.  Tracking all of these accounts is a pain for me because with only a couple of accounts I could do it in Excel.  It's just that Excel isn't a good substitute and there's too much work involved in getting it to do what Quicken already does.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

In all my adult years of keep track of my finances (since 1975) I have only once found a "mistake" by a financial institution.  And I'm not even sure about that one, and it was for like a couple of dollars, and it was like 20 or 30 years ago.

I have every bill I can on automatic payment from my credit or checking account (prefer credit for the points and the time delay of paying it so I can manage the cash flow easier).  And the credit card is automatic pay from my checking account.  I have been doing that for at least 15 years probably longer.

It is the main reason I have no need for a bill pay system.

And since I'm now basically retired and I have simplified the accounts I use.  I could really just stop using Quicken and check the accounts from time to time online.

Quicken is more of a hobby for me these days than anything else.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Just realizing that the 2018 "upgrade" is now just a subscription that I will be forced to pay EVERY year instead of every three years.  How can I ever be certain that this new subscription model will provide better software, when each and every "upgrade" I have purchased in the past has worked worse than the previous version?  The data download has gotten more inconsistent with each and every "upgrade" I have purchased.  

While I understand that the data download service connectivity is why I was forced to "upgrade" every 3 years, but to now essentially force me to "upgrade" EVERY year is just crazy for the price they are asking.  Make it $25 a year and I would probably swallow it, but to charge me $45 every year is just crazy!  
  • pbug56
    pbug56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Check out the discounts that have been going around through Quicken.com and various etail sights; I was quite angry myself but the price I paid for my subscription did calm me down. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    pbug56 said:

Check out the discounts that have been going around through Quicken.com and various etail sights; I was quite angry myself but the price I paid for my subscription did calm me down. 

Yes, it is being offered for 29.99 right now, for one year, but doubtful it will renew at that price.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

Just realizing that the 2018 "upgrade" is now just a subscription that I will be forced to pay EVERY year instead of every three years.  How can I ever be certain that this new subscription model will provide better software, when each and every "upgrade" I have purchased in the past has worked worse than the previous version?  The data download has gotten more inconsistent with each and every "upgrade" I have purchased.  

While I understand that the data download service connectivity is why I was forced to "upgrade" every 3 years, but to now essentially force me to "upgrade" EVERY year is just crazy for the price they are asking.  Make it $25 a year and I would probably swallow it, but to charge me $45 every year is just crazy!  

On Amazon, Q2018 Deluxe is $67.49 for 27 months, or $30 a year:

https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Deluxe-2018-Release-Membership/dp/B075NCB8ZM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=softwa...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm trying to become a quicken customer but looks like it won't be happening. 

My wife and I each want our own credentials to access the same quicken database. That makes sense, doesn't it? That is how our joint bank accounts work. Each of us can go into separate bank branches, present credentials, and perform transactions. We want that same paradigm in our financial tracking software, and we can't seem to find it. Why not? 

I don't understand why this isn't more widely supported/adopted, yet.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    David said:

My wife and I each want our own credentials to access the same quicken database. That makes sense, doesn't it? That is how our joint bank accounts work. Each of us can go into separate bank branches, present credentials, and perform transactions. We want that same paradigm in our financial tracking software, and we can't seem to find it. Why not? 

If you are both accessing the same database, what additional security or features does having separate credentials provide (given that there's no "who did what" tracking in the product)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    David said:

RickO said >>> both accessing the same database ... what additional security or features does having separate credentials provide ... given that there's no "who did what" tracking in the product?

This discussion is about improvements so I don't think the topic should be debated while looking through today's lens. 

The financial picture of 2+ people is often a mix of individual and joint accounts, privacy, and transparency. It would make sense for financial software to follow the same model. I would like to have my individual accounts, and we [wife & I] should be able to have our joint accounts all under the same software roof, each with our own credentials, each with applicable privacy and transparency. One step further, I would like to get my kid(s) setup, too, so I can monitor their accounts, they can learn to manage money, ... and can grow up to be quicken users on their own subscription.

Tomorrow, there could be a multi-user license version with privacy and permissions settings that enable 2 or more people to have all their financials in one spot; mom/dad, kids, individual & joint accounts, etc... Dad has an account, Mom has an account, m&d have joint accounts, junior has his account - one that m&d can monitor and use for teaching.

Of course, that is a big leap from where Quicken is today but part of buying the subscription is the promise of continuous improvement, and this is the broad use-case which describes what I would like to see from a product like Quicken.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    David said:

@David, I agree with the desire to have multiple users...BUT understand that this thread is actually about being able to have multiple INDEPENDENT FILES under the SAME SUBSCRIPTION...this is not about access to account registers by multiple users with different access levels. 

If I understand you correctly, you are essentially looking for multi-user access with access levels IN THE SAME FILE. If so, that would be a different type of IDEA and should be in a different thread.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    David said:

10-4. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll start a new thread.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

I can understand Quicken's one id per subscription as it stands now.  Perhaps they could provide a "business" subscription that would be priced according to how many id's you could manage.  It isn't fair to Quicken (or any software maker) to provide software that potentially allows a business person to handle multiple id's (customers to the user) even if those id's belong to a family member, however, that doesn't say they couldn't provide different models at different pricing.  

I am running 2017 Premier will probably stay there indefinitely, and I haven't had the credit score since last fall (last update to R15?). I get a more accurate score from my bank anyway. I also do any electronic bill paying through my bank; some automatic payment and some manual. My wife does the same. I can then download all bank transactions into Quicken so there is no need for multiple Quicken log in IDs.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes, this is a real problem with the new subscription model. They say you can run Quicken 2018 on as many machines as you want so long as they use the same Quicken ID. So if another family member is prompted for their ID they cannot login if the phone getting the text is not nearby.