Add "Save a Copy" feature (similar to "Year End Copy") (21 Legacy Votes)

Options
124»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 8
    Options

As a Mac user, the first thing I'll add to this discussion is not to do this:

My Quicken file is 130MB and takes time to upload/download from my iCloud every time I use Quicken ON MY MAC.

You should not store your Quicken file on iCloud (or any Cloud storage service). Because your Quicken data file is actually a collection of hidden folders and files as well as a database, using cloud storage for your data file is not recommended because it can result in file corruption

It is strongly recommended to keep your active Quicken data file in a location on your Mac's hard drive that is not stored on iCloud. For instance inside your user home folder, create a Quicken folder and place your data file there. And with your data file stored locally, you'll find startup time much faster. 😀

It is fine to store your Quicken-generated backup files on iCloud though, because those files are compressed and protected from corruption. You can do this in Settings > General by clicking the Backup Folder button and selecting a folder on iCloud, or in a folder like Documents which you have set to be stored on iCloud.

If you want to add your vote for functionality similar to Quicken Windows for saving reduced-size copies of data files, you can add your vote and comment here…

I will note that I have about three decades of data in my Quicken data file. One of the things I love about Quicken is having all that history of our financial life in one, up-to-date data file; I often search for old transactions to see when we purchased something or went somewhere. And with my data file stored locally, it takes only about 3-4 seconds to launch Quicken.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    Options

Would love to see the File maintenance features like Save a Copy and Year End Copy options in Quicken for Mac as well. I've used Quicken since 1992 and converted to Mac version in 2015. I appreciate all the work that has gone into the Mac version since switching over. I even made suggestions and requests for these features numerous times so I'm hopeful this will make it into a future version. While it is nice to see all the historical info in one place from time-to-time, my file is getting quite cluttered with a lot of baggage I simply do not need anymore. It would be nice to have some automated clean up features that prevent manual purging of data and/or manipulation of multiple filters and views.

• RGC OKC
    RGC OKC Member ✭✭
    Options

I have about 10 years of data in my Quicken Mac file. It is too large. A year end file copy like on the Windows version would be extremely helpful to decrease the size of my files. They are gigantic at this time.

• jacobs
    Options

@RGC OKC Out of curiosity, how large is your Quicken Mac data file? I have 30 years of data in mine, and the file is still a pretty modest 92 MB in size. The only thing that typically makes files large is if you store lots of attachments in the data file.

• rrtorrenti
    rrtorrenti Member ✭✭
    Options

have no idea. I’ve been using it since 1992.

• ByondFear
    ByondFear Member
    Options

It makes no sense to me why this is available on Windows but not on Mac. It is so easy to scroll into another year. I may keep two years, but would like to drop off prior year(s). I previously (prior to Mac) kept a calendar year file archive for each year. It made the UI much more user friendly.

• ByondFear
    ByondFear Member
    Options

I think what I used to do in the windows version was make a backup copy almost of the years that I didn’t want in my main file anymore. And I saved it as a file name with those years in it and if I ever wanted to access them, all I had to do was use quick to open that file instead of my regular one.

Maybe that feature is on the Mac but I can’t find it easily. Seems like it was pretty easy to find in windows. By doing that, it did reduce the size of my file. Because I was now only using a file from a more recent year up to present.

• jacobs
    Options

@ByondFear No, there is no equivalent function in Quicken Mac at this time. I posted earlier in this thread about why the feature wasn't built initially and why I think it would one a good idea to add now: