Can I Import Old Data From QM2005 to the New Quicken for Mac 2018?

Unknown
Unknown Member
I've looked here on the forums and have seen others who need to import from QM2007 to the 2018 version, but I've not seen anyone trying to import from QM2005 as I'm trying to do. I'd be importing from an Intel MacBook running Snow Leopard (which is why QM2005 is able to run on that computer at all, b/c of the utility Rosetta which allows Power-PC programs to run on Intel machines w/Snow Leopard). I would be importing to a MacBook Pro running the latest version of High Sierra. I'm concerned about this conversion b/c again, QM2005 is a Power-PC -based program.

I have all the files residing on the MacBook (and also on a thumb drive) I just need to know if they're going to be AT ALL compatible w/QM2018, and if so, how I'd go about transferring the files IF they are. I haven't purchased QM2018 yet, btw.

Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    @MacGeek, To the best of my knowledge, you will need to find someone who has a copy of Quicken 2007 you can use as an interim step. Quicken 2018 will import from Quicken 2007 files (and I believe 2006 files although it's not officially stated) but not Quicken 2005 and before.

Quicken (the company) no longer sells nor makes available to users copies of Quicken 2007. so you're going to have to do some sleuthing on the Internet to try to find someone who has a copy you can buy or borrow. (I currently see at least one copy on eBay; there may be others, or you may find other places to source one.)

Fortunately for you, because you have a working Snow Leopard Mac, it doesn't matter whether the Quicken 2007 you obtain is the original (which works only up to Snow Leopard) or the updated version (which works on Lion and every macOS since). Once you have Quicken 2007, install it on your old MacBook, make a COPY of your current data file, and then open the data file with Quicken 2007. That will update your data file structure into a format that Quicken 2018 can import.

You can purchase Quicken 2018 with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a refund within 30 days should you find it doesn't suit your needs. But you should find your data imports pretty cleanly. Some things, like saved reports, don't import because the reports in Quicken 2018 are different and incompatible. And there are many differences between 2005/2007 and 2018, some for the better and some for the worse.

Also note that if you happen to obtain a copy of Quicken 2007 which is the updated version (known as "Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible" or "Quicken 2007LC"), or version 16.1 or later, then this version will actually work on your new MacBook Pro running High Sierra. (There are a couple caveats to that we can discuss should you end up going down that road.) Not that Quicken 2007 is a discontinued product; there is no support for it, and it doesn't get updates. It will likely not work on the macOS after Mojave in fall 2019, and there may be issues on Mojave that haven't been tested yet. Anyone using Quicken 2007 is on seriously borrowed time. But it does work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

@MacGeek, To the best of my knowledge, you will need to find someone who has a copy of Quicken 2007 you can use as an interim step. Quicken 2018 will import from Quicken 2007 files (and I believe 2006 files although it's not officially stated) but not Quicken 2005 and before.

Quicken (the company) no longer sells nor makes available to users copies of Quicken 2007. so you're going to have to do some sleuthing on the Internet to try to find someone who has a copy you can buy or borrow. (I currently see at least one copy on eBay; there may be others, or you may find other places to source one.)

Fortunately for you, because you have a working Snow Leopard Mac, it doesn't matter whether the Quicken 2007 you obtain is the original (which works only up to Snow Leopard) or the updated version (which works on Lion and every macOS since). Once you have Quicken 2007, install it on your old MacBook, make a COPY of your current data file, and then open the data file with Quicken 2007. That will update your data file structure into a format that Quicken 2018 can import.

You can purchase Quicken 2018 with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a refund within 30 days should you find it doesn't suit your needs. But you should find your data imports pretty cleanly. Some things, like saved reports, don't import because the reports in Quicken 2018 are different and incompatible. And there are many differences between 2005/2007 and 2018, some for the better and some for the worse.

Also note that if you happen to obtain a copy of Quicken 2007 which is the updated version (known as "Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible" or "Quicken 2007LC"), or version 16.1 or later, then this version will actually work on your new MacBook Pro running High Sierra. (There are a couple caveats to that we can discuss should you end up going down that road.) Not that Quicken 2007 is a discontinued product; there is no support for it, and it doesn't get updates. It will likely not work on the macOS after Mojave in fall 2019, and there may be issues on Mojave that haven't been tested yet. Anyone using Quicken 2007 is on seriously borrowed time. But it does work.

Yet another very thorough and well-stated reply from @jacobs !!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

Actually, though officially Quicken does not support importing from QM2005 into QM2018 directly, technically it should be possible because the data file is essentially the same for QM2005, QM2006 and QM2007. Some have tried and been successful. If you try and are unsuccessful then you will need a version of QM2007, or even QM2006, since you still have a PPC which can run it.

You have 2 choices: Buy Quicken 2018 for Mac or get the Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible version.
    I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007/QM2005 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2018 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that online access is supposed to continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that QM2018 is now a subscription-based product currently available for 12 to 27 months depending on the retailer (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020).

You may want to review the
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac
    Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/2018-release-quicken-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra (so far*). 

* See Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?
    (QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

@jacobs, THANK YOU so much! This is very detailed and exactly what I needed. Great!. I think I will go the QM2018 route, but via QM2007 first as you suggested. (Seems like I heard about this before -- years ago-- but didn't do it b/c it seemed like so much hassle... which it IS, but now I must do the conversion.) Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out here and give me so many ideas/options from which to choose. REALLY appreciate this help! :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

@smayer97 Also very much appreciate your speedy and very thorough reply! Thank you so very much -- I will now be able to make this conversion w/the information you've provided. I also appreciate the additional links for further research, I'm all over it!  Thanks for easing the pain of this pesky transition! Best, MacGeek :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

Btw, I'm really not this much of a newbie here, but I guess when Intuit sold Quicken in 3/2016 (which I just found out about last night) my old Quicken acct. went with it, as I had to re-create a new account, password, etc. Again thanks. Really appreciate these forums!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

If you had an account with Intuit, it is hidden but you can still access it (mine still works). Go here:
    https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/downloads_unlocks.jsp

This is a separate account than what you just created with Quicken.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    jacobs said:

@smayer97 Thanks again. Seems like I had to re-do my Intuit username and PW as well, but I will definitely check out the link to see if my old account(s) are lurking there...TY.
This discussion has been closed.