Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.8.0 Released

Options
124»

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Help!  The results of allowing my Quicken 2018 to update with this new release are dire!!  I lost half of the entries in most my accounts (credit and savings).  I had to reconnect all of my accounts to get downloads (which is okay); however, there are 4 accounts that will not update beyond April of 2017.  These accounts were all up to date prior to this new release.
    Every time Quicken does a release I have to spend hours redoing most of my data... this is totally ridiculous now that it's not updating my accounts.
    What's the deal??

Creating a new post to bring attention to the issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Unable to download transactions after updating
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?

I have the exact same problem, but I don't get the "Cloud account not found" dialog. I don't' know if I have a Cloud account.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
     In the Home tab under Bill & Income Reminders, clicking on one of the reminders used to open a second window for the account with the transaction highlighted. This no longer works for Credit Card accounts. Only cash and savings accounts now.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

In the Home tab under Bill & Income Reminders, clicking on one of the reminders used to open a second window for the account with the transaction highlighted. This no longer works for Credit Card accounts. Only cash and savings accounts now.

> In the Home tab, under the Bill & Income Reminders ...

I can confirm that clicking on a reminder will open an account register window for only some of the reminders.

Out of 52 reminders scheduled in the next 30 days, only 11 opened an account register (10 Savings, one Credit Card). Reminders that fail to open an account register window are associated with Cash, Savings, and Credit Card types.

Quicken Premier 2018 v5.8.0. macOS 10.12.6
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?

THIS - right here, is why I am NOT BUYING the latest version of Quicken.  This is a prime example of a company that doesn't have a clue.  If I am not using the cloud, if I am not downloading transactions in any way, if I'm not syncing to mobile, etc., there is simply NO REASON for a cloud login, or to be prompted every time I open the software to provide one.  I do not use the cloud in any way for financial data and never will.  There's NO LEGITIMATE REASON for Quicken to be prompting me for a cloud account.  A cloud account is not required when importing a QFX file - and the fact that the software, and this company, thinks it is required is asinine and unjustifiable.   I have Quicken 2007 on my Mac and I will continue to use it as long as I can.  When I can't, if this problem still exists, I will go to a competitor's product - there are lots of free ones out there...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Though I agree with the general sentiment. you are wrong about one thing..."A cloud account is not required when importing a QFX file - and the fact that the software, and this company, thinks it is required is asinine and unjustifiable. "

In fact, when you are downloading a QFX file, where are you downloading it from? The cloud. And when loading that data into Quicken, Quicken validates that the FI/Bank you obtained the data from is registered, and hence supported by, Quicken, via the cloud. Like it or not, that is Quicken's business model. 

So, your assertion that you do not use the cloud when using Quicken is incorrect. 

If you had said you do not even load data from the cloud and enter all data manually, then you would be more correct.

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger  ;-)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I can download a qfx file from my bank and store it on disk.  I can then import it into Quicken from the disk drive.  Quicken does not need to access the cloud, and does not need my cloud credentials.  Quicken does not need to validate anything.  It's worked that way in previous versions.  I stand by my position.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Easy test to prove it to yourself... after you download a QFX file, disconnect the internet. Then try to load it into Quicken... it will not... in any version of Quicken. I am still on QM2007 and it works the same way. Granted you do not need a cloud account with QM2007 but the data flow controls are changing. 

Just because the process is broken into 2 steps does not change the fact that you are using Quicken online services. So as long as you are using QFX, you are using these services, therefore, Quicken is free to regulate/control that, like it or not. 

Again, if you were NOT downloading data at all (which you are), then you will be subject to that. But I still agree that if a user only performs manually entry exclusively, Quicken should have no need for a cloud account.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I said, "it worked that way in previous versions".  It did.  I know it did. I have evidence to prove it.  I never said it worked that way in Q2007.  The last time I used it, was in 1998, I think.  

Furthermore, QFX is just Quicken's version of OFX which is a STANDARD, that does NOT require access for importing (according to the standard).  Quicken has made it so and there really is no need for it.  Other software, including Apple Numbers, Gnucash, and Moneydance use OFX files.  I haven't tested all of them but they all say they support manual import of OFX files and there's no mention of a requirement for an Internet connection.

There's simply no justification for requiring Internet/Cloud access when importing QFX/OFX files.  All that really needs to be done is to check that you have the account in Quicken that the file has data for before importing it and you don't need an Internet connection to verify that.  Quicken is just making it that way because they are too lazy to code the software correctly.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Quicken is just making it that way because they are too lazy to code the software correctly.
    That is a wrong statement, if anything it is exactly the opposite.  "Extra" code was put in to do this on purpose.

And you should be aware of the fact that it was Intuit that put this in place long ago, and it was certainly part of their business model.

I have no idea of what the current charges are, but back in the day it was stated that for a financial institution to be a "participating partner" they had to pay a service fee.  And it was said that was for Web Connect (QFX files) {but at a lesser price} and for Direct Connect.

So even if there wasn't technical reason for it, there certainly was business reason for it.  BTW note Microsoft didn't charge the financial institutions (from what I understand they didn't so they could break into the market), and MS Money has long been gone.  Most likely because their business model didn't make them enough money.

At any rate Quicken Inc still pays Intuit for "online services".  I can't be sure, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Quicken Inc has not control over this (it is in the contract that way).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, this is a business decision, not a technical one.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

It's a technical decision because they could fix the software so that it doesn't ask for the cloud credentials and other information unless you are actually using Cloud services and/or downloading data from a financial institution.  

However, in the final analysis, as long as they are making a "business" decision to do this, I can make a "business" decision not to pay for their software and to migrate instead to one of many other software packages that don't do this.

And now, I'm done with this discussion because it just isn't worth it to argue with people who have drunk the kool-aid.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Options

It actually is a business decision, because Quicken would be in the position of supporting users livid that data doesn't import correctly from their downloaded file into Quicken, and without a business relationship with each bank, they'd have no formal path to get problems resolved.

And yes, absolutely, if you can find other software that meets your needs better than Quicken, that's the right route to go. Most of the folks commenting here have their gripes with Quicken, but have determined that Quicken, warts and all, is the best program for their needs. That doesn't mean it's best for everyone; all of us use Quicken differently and for different purposes. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

A cloud account is not required when importing a QFX file.

@smayer97, Paul is right, literally. A [Quicken] could account [was] not required when importing a QFX file [until QM 5.8.0]. I've done it for years.

I'm not saying QM was not phoning home. But I willingly and vehemently did not want a Cloud account, and I certainly did not want QM Cloud to beautify my data. I'm sure it does an excellent job at it, but for reasons of my own I prefer my data verbatim.

Now, probably, this issue is moot, because as Marcus said elsewhere, 5.8.1 will be going back to the original behavior; at least so I hope. I'd be sad to have to leave a platform that I have invested in so heavily over the past few months.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

A cloud account is not required when importing a QFX file.

@smayer97, Paul is right, literally. A [Quicken] could account [was] not required when importing a QFX file [until QM 5.8.0]. I've done it for years.

I'm not saying QM was not phoning home. But I willingly and vehemently did not want a Cloud account, and I certainly did not want QM Cloud to beautify my data. I'm sure it does an excellent job at it, but for reasons of my own I prefer my data verbatim.

Now, probably, this issue is moot, because as Marcus said elsewhere, 5.8.1 will be going back to the original behavior; at least so I hope. I'd be sad to have to leave a platform that I have invested in so heavily over the past few months.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

And apparently no one cares, because this is not fixed in 5.8.1
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options

Joey, just because a particular issue wasn’t addressed in the next available update doesn’t mean “no one cares.” The developers could have this as a lower-priority problem on their list, or the primary programmer who works on this section of the code could have been assigned a higher-priority issue for this release. We all would like our issues with Quicken to be at the top of the list, but the reality is that they have a limited number of programmers and a vast list of bugs and feature requests to work on.Did you report this issue using the Report a Problem feature in the Quicken Help menu? That’s a direct path for reporting bugs, whereas this forum isn’t and tends to be hit-or-miss whether a developer will see a post in one of these long threads.
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This is timely as I am going to switch to Quicken for Mac from the Windows version.  I have questions regarding how a subscription would transfer in this case.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for an answer, and sorry for going a tad off topic.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options
    With a subscription, you can download the Mac and the Windows version -- both are included in the price of your subscription. Be aware that the programs are different and not interoperable. You can import your Windows data file into Quicken Mac, but it's a one-way transfer. there are still a significant number of Windows features not present in the Mac product, although the gap continues to be narrowed, slowly, month by month. If you're not clear on the differences, this thread isn't the place for a detailed discussion; you can search the forum for numerous threads on the topic of switching from Windows to Mac, and if you have specific questions, it would be best to start a new post.
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you.  I will take your advise.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    bobsully said:

This is timely as I am going to switch to Quicken for Mac from the Windows version.  I have questions regarding how a subscription would transfer in this case.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for an answer, and sorry for going a tad off topic.

Forking to standalone post, off-topic.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jacobs said:

With a subscription, you can download the Mac and the Windows version -- both are included in the price of your subscription. Be aware that the programs are different and not interoperable. You can import your Windows data file into Quicken Mac, but it's a one-way transfer. there are still a significant number of Windows features not present in the Mac product, although the gap continues to be narrowed, slowly, month by month. If you're not clear on the differences, this thread isn't the place for a detailed discussion; you can search the forum for numerous threads on the topic of switching from Windows to Mac, and if you have specific questions, it would be best to start a new post.

Moving to merge w/new post.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving to merge
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited October 2018
    Options
    bobsully said:

Thank you.  I will take your advise.

Moving to merge w/new post.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving to merge
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Excuse me for being disappointed when the update promised fixes "This release has a number of fixes." " I think many of you will recognize these as issues you brought to our attention in the last releases forum port." seemed to incdicate that someone WAS paying attention to these forums. After filtering out your condescension, I did find the suggestion for "report a problem" helpful, so I did. If that was higher up in the Help menu, I probably would have done that first, but I mistakenly came here for help. 

The other really annoying thing is almost every update to Quicken breaks some little something. You used to be able to navigate between accounts with the arrow keys, for example, and a few other little things like that and this issue. After a while, they add up to a real time cost and a sense of frustration. So I apologize for offending your sensibilities, but after awhile, one starts to feel that indeed "no one cares."
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options

Joey, I wasn't offended, and I wasn't being condescending. In your previous post, you said that because one issue wasn't fixed, it meant "no one cares." I was only explaining that there are enough bugs and feature requests that they simply can never satisfy everyone with any one release. I understand you wanted them to fix your problem, but as Marcus stated, there indeed were a number of positive fixes in this latest release.

There's forward progress, but as you note, sometimes it's two-steps forward-one-step-back progress. And I don't believe that's because no one cares; I believe the engineers on the Mac team are genuinely trying to build a solid product, fix problems, and add useful features. And yes, they sometimes miss the mark -- likely due to some combination of the complexity of the software, flaws in internal testing design, inadequate beta testing, and unexpected.

(I'm not sure what you're referring to with the arrow keys; maybe start a new thread about it, or a post here just about that. There are definitely small things users have been able to successfully lobby the developers to change.)
  • CUITCNY
    CUITCNY Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

But report submitted in beta.

As Quicken for Mac continues to improve its functionality, it becomes a more useful tool, to the point users ask for even more functionality. It is inevitable; I am impressed how far Quicken for MAC has come in the last few years. Seems to me that the Quicken programmers truly understand the monster :) they have created. Please keep up the great work!
This discussion has been closed.