Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.8.0 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?

quicken.com shows like QM the subscription running until Mar 02 2020, so that's OK.

The QFX file is downloaded manually, it's the import that no longer works.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?

I have just found a workaround. When the "Cloud account not found" dialog popped up yet again, I pressed "Setup new cloud account". Then I was able to import the QFX file.

However, I am quite adamant this is NOT the behavior I want. I had deliberately deliberately deleted the Cloud account when I first installed QM and I do NOT want to be forced to having a Cloud account.

This is a major concern for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have just discovered my wife has updated to QM 5.8 yesterday because QM suddenly asked me to connect to my Cloud account. However, I have deliberately disconnected this file from the Cloud and do not want to sync to Quicken Mobile.

Has something changed from previous versions of QM? Such login window would previously only be displayed when I went to Preferences/Connected Services, but now they appear also  when I launch QM.

As pointed out in a thread further below, not having a cloud account prevents imported QFX files on the local filesystem. This is not an acceptable situation from my point of view.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sorry John, but importing a QFX is considered an "online function". A cloud account is required so that Quicken can check the validity of financial institution. That's not going to change.

However, nothing need be recorded in the cloud, except possibly the fact that you are importing QFX (but not the data itself). To clear all your cloud data, see this:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-to-remove-cloud-data-in-quicken-mac-2017...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@RickO, are you sure? Because I have been able to import QFX files for a year without a cloud account (which I had deactivated using links similar to the one you have provided). It worked like a charm, and it's been broken by QM 5.8.
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

It may be that 5.8 introduced the need for a cloud account to check for the FI validity whereas previously it did that check without a cloud account.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I have been trying to use Quicken off-line. With no internet connection, when I try to launch Quicken, I get this dialogue box. The options in the box to "I'll Check It Later" "Update Now" "Report errors" etc are all non-responsive. The only action I can take is to force quit Quicken.  Obviously, I do not expect to download transactions while off-line, but I do expect to be able to view and edit data manually in those instances I do not have access to internet.  This has never been a problem before this latest update.

I've not updated to 5.8 because of this issue, but since I haven't seen other comments about this I'm wondering if jlgg's experience was a special case. Can anyone else verify if they are, or are not, experiencing this if they disconnect their internet and open QM2018 v5.8.0? Thanks!
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I have been trying to use Quicken off-line. With no internet connection, when I try to launch Quicken, I get this dialogue box. The options in the box to "I'll Check It Later" "Update Now" "Report errors" etc are all non-responsive. The only action I can take is to force quit Quicken.  Obviously, I do not expect to download transactions while off-line, but I do expect to be able to view and edit data manually in those instances I do not have access to internet.  This has never been a problem before this latest update.

When I open 5.8 with no internet connection, I can click the "I'll Check It Later" button on the dialog shown above and continue working offline without issue.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

Thanks to RickO and RCinNJ for these posts. I just went back and rechecked my experience and stumbled onto a solution for me.  The dialogue box in my case was completely hiding the login window.  When I moved the dialogue box to the side, I was able to enter my password and open Quicken.  At that point the dialogue box became dismissable and I was able to continue to work off-line. 
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I did not have a password set when I tested. But I set a password and tried again and I see the same thing you do... the error dialog hides the password dialog.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

Thanks for the update!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

But report submitted in beta.

I'm a new user of Quicken for Mac and am generally pleased with it. However, we have a small company with pre-printed voucher checks where the positions for date, amount, Payee are established in the pre-printed checks. Unfortunately, Quicken's voucher check choice does not allow the user to adjust for individual alignment for date, amount, payee etc. We are now stuck with not being able to print our checks directly from Quicken. INDIVIDUAL ALIGNMENT OF INFO ON CHECKS WOULD BE A HELPFUL ADDITION TO QUICKEN FOR MAC.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

You need to use Quicken compatible checks.

They can be purchased through Quicken or through most third party check printing companies.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE for Realignment of data on checks.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

There are a number of issues here but the main one where this is popping up if you are offline is unintentional and a bug.  We've already fixed in 5.8.1 which we'll be rolling out in a week or so before the end of September.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

There is a bug with loans.

During the migration from QM 5.6 to 5.7, QM has reset the duration of two of my loans to 30 months. Initially, the duration was 168 and 88 months (not a multiple of 12 months as you can notice, if this has any influence). A third loan which had a duration of 3 years did not have its duration reduced to 30 months. 

Every backup that I opened with QM 5.7.2 exhibited the issue. This includes 6 months old backups.

As a result, July, August and Scheduled transactions all have an incorrect capital split amount (but the total amount is correct though):

This is to be compared with the correct transaction for July:

Changing the duration of the loans back to 168 and 88 months fixes the issue. But the duration should not have been changed by QM in the first place.

I have initially posted this in the 5.7 thread.

Thanks.  We're investigating.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

It is normal the same category is sometimes displayed as Long names and sometimes as Short names, in the same account, even though Preferences have not been changed in the mean time?

Here is what the category looks like for the 2 adjacent categories in non-edit mode:

When I edit one of them, the Short name is displayed:

But when I edit the next one, the Long name is displayed instead:

Hello, my name is Jessica, I am 25 now and will be finishing school now..

Couple questions about student loans and credit.

So, do they affect the credit score?

I don't have any job right now, and I am constantly looking, how much time will I have to start paying them off?

I will have around $40,000 total of debt and just want to see how it will affect my credit because I plan on buying a home in the next 3 years.

Do student loans will hurt my credit?

Will I need to hire a a credit repair companyimage so I have a score of 700 at least?

Lets say I find a job at 80k, how much should I pay them off?

Not sure what the interest is.

Anyway, thanks! and I hope I am in the right category!"

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Is Quicken for Mac any closer to doing a meaningful file conversion from the Windows version? I have 12 years or so of data and I don't want to lose all the transactions, and there are what, thousands of errors when attempting to convert a Quicken 2018 Windows file to Mac. It's great it puts placeholders in to attempt to alleviate the issues, but balances are still way wrong and way too many transactions are errors and lost! Can't you please work on this so I can move off the Windows version and on to Mac? Please????

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Any chance of getting Savings Goals added to Quicken for Mac?  This feature is the only reason I still even own a Windows computer.  PLEASE add to Quicken for Mac! 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Is Quicken for Mac any closer to doing a meaningful file conversion from the Windows version? I have 12 years or so of data and I don't want to lose all the transactions, and there are what, thousands of errors when attempting to convert a Quicken 2018 Windows file to Mac. It's great it puts placeholders in to attempt to alleviate the issues, but balances are still way wrong and way too many transactions are errors and lost! Can't you please work on this so I can move off the Windows version and on to Mac? Please????

Don, the import from Windows to Mac has been considered mostly complete* and solid for quite awhile now, and lots of Windows users have successfully made the conversion. (*One notable exception is attachments don’t transfer, and of course features which don’t yet exist in the Mac version, such as lifetime planners, don’t import.) I suggest you create a New question thread about your conversion difficulties, to dig in a little deeper. The conversion log is pretty detailed and often offers a good explanation about anything going wrong in the transfer of data, and some of your fellow users here can often help in deciphering that information and explaining how to proceed. And if there is some legitimate bug uncovered, it provides a path forward to try to get the Quicken developers to address. Just asking them to “fix it” without more details is not going to get a response or action.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Thanks Jacobs for the reply. I wrote a detailed post on my conversion process 5 months ago here, and if you look at it, it was closed by a Quicken employee saying the process is not clean. You will see this was her recommendation:

I would describe the Mac and Windows platforms as being different, unfortunately the conversion process isn't going to be smooth. I would recommend adding a balance adjustment to the accounts that are incorrect or starting over from the beginning of the year versus going through the entire file and trying to correct the discrepancies.

The only specific I got was that BuyX and SellX transfers don't convert - has that been fixed? I have a ton of those over the years. Note my file did Validate and Super Validate with no errors. Also, someone mentioned a list of things "not converted". Has that been kept current, I never found it?

If the conversion process is in fact working well for people with 10+ years of Windows data, I would be happy to try again. However, I have not seen that, I have seen people that got thru it by adding shares or adjusting balances somehow, moving on with transactions lost forever. Can you point me to a thread that shows this successfully being done and transactions not lost?

I am not trying to be contrary, but I have been watching release notes very carefully, and I have not seen any evidence of work being done on conversion - hence my request it be considered. If this is not the case and work has been done and it's closer to working well, please let me know. 
  • jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Don, thanks; the link to your previous post adds the context which was missing from your post above. If the hope is to catch the eye of Mac product manager Marcus here, specific details are helpful/necessary. It sounds like your main problem was that the BuyX/SellX/DivX transactions didn't import correctly, because they aren't supported in the Mac version.

I'm not (and have never been) a Quicken Windows user, so I haven't followed these issues closely. From what I've read, it always seemed like these combination transactions could be changed into two transactions in the import to the Mac version, but I don't know why that wasn't done in the converter. I don't think I recall seeing any changes in this area in the releases this year; a QWin user might have kept closer tabs on this.

Marcus, if you're reading this thread: has there been any progress, or is it on your development roadmap, to deal with BuyX/SellX/DivX transactions in converting from Windows?

Some things in the old FAQ a user posted about converting from Windows is definitely out of date. For instance, the Mac version now allows selling specific lots of securities, where it previously supported only LIFO or FIFO. (But I don't know how the Win>Mac converters handles sales of specific lots.) Currency conversion is now supported much better in the Mac version. Performance reporting is now available (at least to some degree) in the Mac version.

If you look at your mutual fund accounts that had the problems converting accurately, can you assess how many of those 'X' transactions you have? Is it a few dozen, or hundreds or thousands? If it's not an overwhelming number, you might consider making the change to two separate transactions (the Buy or Sell, and the transfer), carefully making sure your share and cash balances stay the same after each time your replace one of the "X" transactions. that might allow you to have a significantly successful conversion from Windows to Mac. (It's not unlikely that you may have to do a little cleanup for things like a fractional share remaining in a security you sold, but these are generally not overwhelming/unsolvable one-time cleanup problems.)
  • jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Miss E said:

Any chance of getting Savings Goals added to Quicken for Mac?  This feature is the only reason I still even own a Windows computer.  PLEASE add to Quicken for Mac! 

Miss E, this functionality doesn't exist in the Mac version yet, but I'd encourage you to visit this Idea post requesting this functionality, and click the blue Vote button at the upper right. The more users who vote for this request, the more likely it is to move up the developers' list of features to tackle.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Currency conversion is now supported much better in the Mac version. Performance reporting is now available (at least to some degree) in the Mac version.

Nope.... Mac does support a crude currency conversion as a one time record BUT it still does not handle converting QWin currency conversions as part of the migration. And performance reporting, though improved, falls short of what QWin can do, so users have to check if what they need is present in QMac.

And of course, BuyX and SellX transfers STILL don't convert. The only work-around is to manually remove these before the migration but this can be a daunting task if a user has too many.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Miss E said:

Meanwhile, that idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Thank you for the reply @smayer97, and for raising some other point blocking error-free data migration. So I would like to revise my question, if Quicken is truly serious about the Mac version of Quicken long term, and it appears they are as they have done a lot of work on it last year, can a list be developed of differences between QWin and Mac that hinder proper data migration, and that list be published and implemented over time? Why else would Quicken offer both versions regularly as part of their subscription service? Thanks!
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/obstacles-and-hindrances-for-migrating-from-qm20...
  • Bruce Bishop
    Bruce Bishop Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Help!  The results of allowing my Quicken 2018 to update with this new release are dire!!  I lost half of the entries in most my accounts (credit and savings).  I had to reconnect all of my accounts to get downloads (which is okay); however, there are 4 accounts that will not update beyond April of 2017.  These accounts were all up to date prior to this new release.
    Every time Quicken does a release I have to spend hours redoing most of my data... this is totally ridiculous now that it's not updating my accounts.
    What's the deal??
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

And BTW, that list is NOT maintained by anyone at Quicken...but I do my best to highlight all that I come across that affect both QWin and QM2007 migrators.  ;-)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Smayer, you've done an awesome and immense job putting this altogether.  Look forward to seeing things implemented.  Thank you!
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
This discussion has been closed.