Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.8.0 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have just discovered my wife has updated to QM 5.8 yesterday because QM suddenly asked me to connect to my Cloud account. However, I have deliberately disconnected this file from the Cloud and do not want to sync to Quicken Mobile.

Has something changed from previous versions of QM? Such login window would previously only be displayed when I went to Preferences/Connected Services, but now they appear also  when I launch QM.

Marcus, I understand this may be required in the future if I add a Quicken Connect account or Bill in the future. But in the meantime, if I'm standalone, should I really be forced to Connect? I would think connection should only be required at the time, and only at the time, that I decide do add such a Bill or Connect account, like it was prior to 5.8.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

But report submitted in beta.

IMO, since it's a placeholder, it does not belong in reports, unless somehow it makes balances make sense with other included transactions, though I still suspect not.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hopeful1 said:

And still no option to include/exclude transfers from reports and budgets.

Wow!  Four years and counting. 

Confirmed by the fact that that is THE top requested (outstanding) feature, here:
    Add Ability to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets in Quicken for Mac

and its related feature:
    Add Ability to Include or Exclude Accounts on Budgets in Quicken for Mac

(though the cumulative votes for Reports and Related Report Features ranks far higher ;-)   

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hopeful1 said:

BTW, where do the remaining items on the 
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac
    fit into this move forward?

Are any more of these being considered?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have just discovered my wife has updated to QM 5.8 yesterday because QM suddenly asked me to connect to my Cloud account. However, I have deliberately disconnected this file from the Cloud and do not want to sync to Quicken Mobile.

Has something changed from previous versions of QM? Such login window would previously only be displayed when I went to Preferences/Connected Services, but now they appear also  when I launch QM.

Seems to only make sense to set up when it is needed, so why do it before, especially when it may never be needed for some?  :-\

Leaves some people unnecessarily uncomfortable as a result. 

• Joseph Toubes
    Joseph Toubes Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hopeful1 said:

Thank you for the bold printing on the check writing.  It made a world of difference.
  • lkayling
    lkayling Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Since updating to Quicken 5.8.0 I get an error message when trying to download from Rabobank.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

QFX file can no longer be imported (File/Import/Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX)).

I just noticed this, but I believe this appeared a few days ago with 5.8. Could this be related to the Cloud dialog that appears on launch?

This is a showstopper for me. How can I go back to 5.7.2 until a fix is available?

Did you save a copy of 5.7.2 in your application folder? If not due you still have it in your trash?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Amazingly, it's still in the trash! But alas, with 5.7.2 I can no longer open a 5.8 backup. Hum, pretty bad situation.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Contrarily to what the above dialog box seems to suggest, this is happening when I open a .backup file (not a .quicken file).
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Do you have an older backup that either QM  or you backed up prior to the update? If you  have s/b good to go
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Even a file backed up prior to upgrading from 5.7.2?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have such backup files, but there are many transactions that have been entered since.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Dont know what to tell you there; If you want to revert back to 5.7.2 you may have to reenter..I feel your upcoming pain
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It is normal the same category is sometimes displayed as Long names and sometimes as Short names, in the same account, even though Preferences have not been changed in the mean time?

Here is what the category looks like for the 2 adjacent categories in non-edit mode:

When I edit one of them, the Short name is displayed:

But when I edit the next one, the Long name is displayed instead:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I thought the backups were in a different, version independent format, kind of XML-like. But I guess there are just a copy of the .quicken file/database...
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

yeah that    is what they are
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

John, with some program updates, the database is modified and cannot be opened with the previous version. This is the case going from 5.7.x to 5.8.x. If you look in the Automatic Backups folder there should be one labeled "Pre-backup". That would be the last file you had before the 5.8 update. You can view the Automatic Backups folder by clicking menu File > Show Backups in Finder within Quicken. 

That said, I'm wondering if the problem you're having is because your subscription expired (that is, not specifically related to the 5.8 update). QFX import is considered to be an "online" function, and therefore will not work if your subscription is expired.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

@RickO..speaking about expiration do we know if Amazon will be offering some deals this yr ?
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

It is normal the same category is sometimes displayed as Long names and sometimes as Short names, in the same account, even though Preferences have not been changed in the mean time?

Here is what the category looks like for the 2 adjacent categories in non-edit mode:

Sounds like you have Nourriture as both a top level category and a subcategory of Food & Dining. Check the Categories window to see the category structure. If you find that's the case, you can drag the top level one into the Food & Dining list, or you can drag the subcategory out between two top level categories. In either case, Quicken will ask if you want to merge them since they have the same name.
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have no idea.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Got it . thought I would check with  you
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

I thought the backups were in a different, version independent format, kind of XML-like. But I guess there are just a copy of the .quicken file/database...
    Quicken backups are a zip compressed copy of the data file with the ".zip" extension replaced with ".quickenbackup". 
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

@Concordman... Well, I just looked for grins and see Deluxe is $49 for the boxed version while still $90 for the download (27 months). We might see some other deals when they relabel it for 2019. Maybe you should start a new thread for folks to post deals that they find.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yeah just don't know how much time Quicken gives b4 cute off..If I see something for 2019 I will post
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Indeed that was the case, to much of my dismay. Thanks @RickO
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@RickO, my suscription runs until 2020, so unless my yet to be purchased Series 4 went forward in time, it's still valid for some time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

@RickO, my suscription runs until 2020, so unless my yet to be purchased Series 4 went forward in time, it's still valid for some time.
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Options

John, I would log into quicken.com and just double check that the subscription reflects correctly there. If so, I'd contact Quicken support to report and hopefully fix the apparent bug in 5.8.0.

Just FYI, I just did a QFX import from Citibank in 5.8.0, so it may be related to your specific bank or data file. 

Also, make sure you're online when you try to import. Even though Quicken doesn't contact the bank to import the QFX, it does check with the servers to make sure it's an authorized bank.
This discussion has been closed.