Sample Quicken data file with lots of data/history in it for demo purposes?

I'm a huge fan of Quicken, and I often find myself wanting to show other people how to use it.  Of course, it's not always a great idea to be showing them my own personal Quicken file, so I've been trying to find a sample/demo file I could use, but I haven't been very successful.

What would be perfect is a sample file that has an "average person's" income and expenses setup in it as paychecks and bills, with at least a few years worth of transaction data included in it.  

With this I could show people how to use manage their income and bills, budget, use savings goals to plan for future purchases, etc.  Anybody happen to have a sample like this I could get from ya?  

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Quicken doesn't appear to provide a demo file. And I very much doubt you'll find anybody willing to give his/her personal file.

But why not take a copy of your own data file and change all your personal data around to John and Jane Doe at ACME Anvils Credit Union?
    You know, rename all the bank accounts (and disconnect them from online services), Find/Replace all Payee Names and use fake names. Strip it down to this year's data only. Leave only a few of the accounts that you can use to show the functions and features without giving away your personal information. Delete the rest. Add a few fake things that you don't own, again, to explain functions like foreign currency bank or cash accounts, houses and mortgages, etc. Fake buy a few shares of companies you wish you'd own (like BRK, BRK.A, FB) to spruce up your investments.
    Something in that direction would probably do.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Within recent Q products, there's a function under the HELP menu "Sanitize Data File Copy"

Since that produces a workable Q data file, while removing personal data, why not try that to create your own "sample" file?

Obviously, inspect that sanitized file carefully before you pass it around.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Within recent Q products, there's a function under the HELP menu "Sanitize Data File Copy"

Since that produces a workable Q data file, while removing personal data, why not try that to create your own "sample" file?

Sanitized files are not suitable for the OP's purpose because most of the strings in the data are reduced to gibberish, while some data remain in the clear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

IIRC, the Sanitize function has been found to not delete attachments... 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The other problem will be the Quicken ID. Each data file must be activated with a Quicken ID. And each Q2018 subscription is good for one Quicken ID only

You definitely don't want to be sharing your Quicken ID. Especially if you use any cloud services.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

The other problem will be the Quicken ID. Each data file must be activated with a Quicken ID. And each Q2018 subscription is good for one Quicken ID only

You definitely don't want to be sharing your Quicken ID. Especially if you use any cloud services.

That really shouldn't be a problem as long as a person logs out before sharing the data file.  Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts -> Sign in as different user -> yes, and then close the data file.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

Sure. What could possibly go wrong?
    With the Quicken Id?

Nothing really.

Even if a person forgets to "log out" when the person that gets the copy of the data file tries to open it on another machine it will prompt them for the Quicken Id password, which they won't be able to provide and will be forced to sign in with a different one at that time.

Signing out is just "cleaner" and doesn't expose your Quicken Id to the person getting the data file.

Now on "leaving personal information in the data file" well yeah there are plenty of ways to get "in trouble" there.
This discussion has been closed.