Updated 2007 vs 2018+ feature comparison?

tmplee
tmplee Member ✭✭
Is there a more-or-less continually updated summary of the features that are in QM2007 but missing from the current Quicken (e.g., QM2018 for now)?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Not in any convenient summary form that I'm aware of.

User @smayer97 maintains a thread called List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

It's an old thread, and a long one, so you have to read through it to see some of the updates which have occurred. And it links to other threads and lists of threads, so again, you'd have to take a look to see if this piecemeal approach gives you the information you're looking for. Otherwise, it may be best to ask specific questions you have about Quicken 2018.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks.  That's what it looked like to me.  I suspect the best thing is to buy a copy and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.  But I think I will wait until after this tax season is over!  At some point, of course, I'll have to decide whether to switch over, even if a lot of things are missing, or keep running one of my machines on Mohave forever (I have one that I've kept on 10.6.8 because I have at least one program that needs to run under Rosetta and has never been updated.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Also, the next closest but not very detailed or maintained list is  the following:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

Not in any convenient summary form that I'm aware of.

User @smayer97 maintains a thread called List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

It's an old thread, and a long one, so you have to read through it to see some of the updates which have occurred. And it links to other threads and lists of threads, so again, you'd have to take a look to see if this piecemeal approach gives you the information you're looking for. Otherwise, it may be best to ask specific questions you have about Quicken 2018.

It may be old but it is the most comprehensive and up-to-date list there is AFAIK.  ;-)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018

Also, the next closest but not very detailed or maintained list is  the following:

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Yeah, I didn't even mention that list because I think it's more about marketing "check boxes" than it is about explaining the nuances of what does and doesn't exist in Quicken Mac (although to Quicken's credit, it is a little more comprehensive than the last time I looked at it). For example, "Loan Amortization" is checked off, and it is indeed a feature of Quicken Mac, but we know it only handles certain types of loans and not others. and it seemingly handles all reports except Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss, but there are a lot of features of Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows reports you can't yet achieve in Quicken Mac.

As @tmplee concluded, correctly, I think, the best thing for someone unsure about whether the modern Quicken can meet their needs is to buy it, spend some time with it, ask a lot of questions, and determine whether it's good enough or not for your needs. That answer will be different for different users who use Quicken for different things and in different ways. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Yes, I agree that a very helpful approach is to simply try it. That said, I believe it is helpful to have documentation by others that have captured a lot of the differences, as it is so easy to overlook something, and there are functions that some perform only occasionally and may not test them out until it is too late to get a refund.

So, all in all, I say use as much info as you can handle to make an analysis but don't just rely on trial and error. 

Just my thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.