Quicken for Mac Subscription 5.9.0, 5.9.1 & 5.9.2 Released

Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @bank

Is the register sorted by date (click the Date column header)? In the current version, the Balance column does not become blank when not sorted by date (although it does become gray). In this case, the Balance column is essentially undefined and meaningless.

Another possibility is that you have an automatically generated balance adjustment entry in the register. This can get introduced when Quicken is trying to keep the balance at a certain point in time (eg. file import) at a fixed value. Search the register for "adjustment". If you find it, it will be a grayed out transaction. You can probably just delete it and all will be good. But be sure to make a backup of your file first.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Incorrect running balance.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I just downloaded version 5.9.2 for the mac and when I converted the older windows version of the data file it created duplicate billings for my credit accounts. How do I fix that problem or it is just a waste of my time and money?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options

I just downloaded version 5.9.2 for the mac and when I converted the older windows version of the data file it created duplicate billings for my credit accounts. How do I fix that problem or it is just a waste of my time and money?

Could you provide more detail what you mean about "duplicate billings"? Do you mean all the transactions in all your credit card accounts are duplicated? Or are there duplicate accounts? Duplicate payments of credit card bills out of your checking account? Just trying to understand what you're seeing...
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

When I look at the bill reminder page it shows each account twice with the same amount due ie. Jet Blue due in 10 days at $1010.09. This is listed twiceimage
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

BTW, there are plenty of suggestions posted in this forum. You can browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

or if you prefer this layout:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

These lists only capture and categorize about 70% of all the IDEAs in this section. Read this FAQ to learn how to see them all:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Re: #2, you can go to the next cheque # by pressing the +/- keys while in the Cheque # field. 

You may want to add your VOTE to Remember and apply start/end dates (for #1)Customizable Reminder Selection (for #6)First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Reconciliation Process, the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features and the 
    List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)
    . Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

For any ideas that you have raised for which you do not find an entry, create one in the IDEA category so that others can also add their VOTE.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Anita...where are you located?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

BTW, there are plenty of suggestions posted in this forum. You can browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

or if you prefer this layout:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

These lists only capture and categorize about 70% of all the IDEAs in this section. Read this FAQ to learn how to see them all:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Re: #2, you can go to the next cheque # by pressing the +/- keys while in the Cheque # field. 

You may want to add your VOTE to Remember and apply start/end dates (for #1)Customizable Reminder Selection (for #6)First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Reconciliation Process, the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features and the 
    List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)
    . Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

For any ideas that you have raised for which you do not find an entry, create one in the IDEA category so that others can also add their VOTE.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

as per her post, Burlington, Ontario (that's Canada, near Toronto).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    From the release notes:
    • IMPROVED - Added the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report to track taxable withdrawals.
    Am curious as to the rationale behind this modification.

For background, I am retired and taking monthly distributions from a retirement account.
    I have federal and state taxes withheld from the distributions.
    Each month, the FI executes Sells to generate cash for the distribution.
    The FI then reports 3 transactions in the retirement account;
    1)  Federal tax withheld.
    2). State tax withheld.
    3)  Net distribution - which is transferred to my checking account.

Including this account in the tax report would lead to numerous errors as to tax reporting;
    1)  Capital gains/losses from the sell transactions have no tax implications but are included.
    2). Net distribution is reported but it is the Gross Distribution that needed in the tax report.
    3)  Other activity in the retirement account such as dividend income is also included in the tax report.
    It is the Gross Distribution that is a taxable event - all other activity within the account has no immediate tax implications.

My practice in recording these distributions is to record a split transaction in my checking account;
    Split #1)  Gross distribution as a transfer from the retirement account.
    Split #2). Federal tax withheld (a debit)
    Split #3)  State withheld (a debit)
    Each split is categorized - with the appropriate tax line item assigned to the category.
    Net of this transaction is the Net Distribution as reported by the FI.
    I ignore (delete) the tax withholdings and net distribution transactions as reported in the retirement account.

Bottom line - the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report only leads to errors in my situation.
    Am I missing something?
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

You fixed a bug on 12/30 ?  Are you just punching in things so that you look busy next week? ;-)

Oops.  Thanks.  I'll update that date.  I do like your suggestion though :-).  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

I am still waiting for a investment transaction view column to show the security symbol that I have been asking for since the first release.

Also, since the change (a few updates ago) that does reinvestment of dividends in a single transaction, a column option to show the actual dollar amount of the reinvested dividend would be welcome.  As of now, the only way to see that is to edit the transaction which is a PITA.  Or at least display it in the existing "amount" column but don't add it to the balance.

Both great ideas and thanks for bringing this up again in the forums.  Even though you may have brought this up before and there are obviously forum posts that people have voted on it doesn't mean it's on my radar.  Both are on my radar now. Thanks.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

I am still waiting for a investment transaction view column to show the security symbol that I have been asking for since the first release.

Also, since the change (a few updates ago) that does reinvestment of dividends in a single transaction, a column option to show the actual dollar amount of the reinvested dividend would be welcome.  As of now, the only way to see that is to edit the transaction which is a PITA.  Or at least display it in the existing "amount" column but don't add it to the balance.

:-\  ?!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

I don't know if this is new with this version, but required "Investments" categories are missing in my dropdown menu. Specifically, I noticed that an automatic reinvestment of a mutual fund's Capital Gain distributions was set as Uncategorized. I wanted to set it to Investments:Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain" but this is not in my drop down menu and if I try typing it in the term is not recognized and reverts to Unclassified when I hit Save. I've attached a screen shot showing the Required Investments categories and that on the dropdown in my investment account the only choice is "ESPP Income" which is not a category I've ever used. I'm up to 5.9.2.

Regular cash transactions aren't supposed to have investment categories assigned to them.  There was a bug a while back when this was allowed but we "fixed" this a few releases ago.  In your last screenshot, the description makes it sound like they are reinvested so shouldn't they be turned into "Buys"?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

This looks like a potential bug when your Windows file was imported into the Mac.  It looks like your scheduled transactions were duplicated.  Under Bills & Income, can you click on the Projected Balances tab which will show you all scheduled transactions in one place? Do you see duplicate scheduled transactions?  if you do, the simplest thing at this stage would probably just to delete the duplicates.  After this, i think everything should be fine.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

From the release notes:
    • IMPROVED - Added the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report to track taxable withdrawals.
    Am curious as to the rationale behind this modification.

For background, I am retired and taking monthly distributions from a retirement account.
    I have federal and state taxes withheld from the distributions.
    Each month, the FI executes Sells to generate cash for the distribution.
    The FI then reports 3 transactions in the retirement account;
    1)  Federal tax withheld.
    2). State tax withheld.
    3)  Net distribution - which is transferred to my checking account.

Including this account in the tax report would lead to numerous errors as to tax reporting;
    1)  Capital gains/losses from the sell transactions have no tax implications but are included.
    2). Net distribution is reported but it is the Gross Distribution that needed in the tax report.
    3)  Other activity in the retirement account such as dividend income is also included in the tax report.
    It is the Gross Distribution that is a taxable event - all other activity within the account has no immediate tax implications.

My practice in recording these distributions is to record a split transaction in my checking account;
    Split #1)  Gross distribution as a transfer from the retirement account.
    Split #2). Federal tax withheld (a debit)
    Split #3)  State withheld (a debit)
    Each split is categorized - with the appropriate tax line item assigned to the category.
    Net of this transaction is the Net Distribution as reported by the FI.
    I ignore (delete) the tax withholdings and net distribution transactions as reported in the retirement account.

Bottom line - the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report only leads to errors in my situation.
    Am I missing something?
    RIckO expressed the same thing to me.  What we did is only a partial solution.  The part we missed is that Investment Income should continue to be excluded from taxes if it is from a retirement account but those items now show up in tax reports which is wrong.  

Thanks for sharing your system and possibly it will help others try to solve this problem.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

I just updated to Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100) on macOS 10.14.1 (Quicken Premier 2019).  After updating I found that a few or my registers seem to have incorrect running totals for checking, credit card, and share balances.  I reviewed each transaction since reconciling and confirmed that all transactions are correct and yet the running balance is incorrect.  Are others having this issue?

Unfortunately, I've heard a number of people tell me that they see duplicate transactions in the Citibank credit card accounts and balance issues. In fact, I was just looking at my own Citibank Costco Card account and I see duplicate transactions starting back in May.  The FITID which Quicken uses to identify each transaction and gets assigned by our aggregator Intuit is different for the duplicate transactions which is why Quicken thought they were different transactions.  Unfortunately, this is a hard one to fix.  Quicken assumes that it can rely on the FITID to tell us how to handle the transaction.  For some reason, Intuit assigned new FITIDs for the duplicates.  Luckily for me, I reconciled the original set of transactions so I can use the CLR flag to easily spot and delete the duplicates.

In terms of changes to 5.9 regarding balances, I don't think there was anything done in this release that would change that.  
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

I just updated to Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100) on macOS 10.14.1 (Quicken Premier 2019).  After updating I found that a few or my registers seem to have incorrect running totals for checking, credit card, and share balances.  I reviewed each transaction since reconciling and confirmed that all transactions are correct and yet the running balance is incorrect.  Are others having this issue?

Marcus, thanks for replying. Finding duplicate transactions is fairly simple. As I said, for one account I found one and deleted it. For two accounts I do not see duplicates. To be clear, I can always make a manual correction. I am reporting this because it seems similar to what the OP wrote, and in case it was caused by an update or other error.

One credit card account (Citi Double Cash) shows a current balance that is off by $28.00 (QM has -$2004.14 owed, FI website says -$1976.14). There is only one charge for exactly $28.00 in this account. I confirmed that this is also the only $28.00 transaction on the account website. This transaction is from April, but I do not think the account has been off by this amount for that long. For added confusion, I see the minimum payment due on January 11,2019 is exactly $28.00. Weird coincidence? I’ve certainly never seen a minimum due amount included in QM’s “Today’s Balance”.

I also checked my Chase checking account again. As with the credit card, the QM reported “Online Balance” is correct, while “Today’s Balance” is off (it is $185 too low. This matches the amount off a recurring payment, I checked for the past year, and all payments in this amount match up online and in QM. Again, I can correct this with an account adjustment. I’ve gone to the trouble to report this in case it is a fixable error caused by a QM update, and in case others have seen this problem.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options

I don't know if this is new with this version, but required "Investments" categories are missing in my dropdown menu. Specifically, I noticed that an automatic reinvestment of a mutual fund's Capital Gain distributions was set as Uncategorized. I wanted to set it to Investments:Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain" but this is not in my drop down menu and if I try typing it in the term is not recognized and reverts to Unclassified when I hit Save. I've attached a screen shot showing the Required Investments categories and that on the dropdown in my investment account the only choice is "ESPP Income" which is not a category I've ever used. I'm up to 5.9.2.

Marcus, thank you for replying!

Regular cash transactions aren't supposed to have investment categories assigned to them.
    Probably showing my ignorance, but since this matches a transaction for which there is an existing Investments category ("Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain") I'm not clear why it can't be assigned or how it is a "cash transaction" --or even what isn't a cash transaction when you get right down to it. Based on what you wrote I did add some more information below.

In your last screenshot, the description makes it sound like they are reinvested so shouldn't they be turned into "Buys"?

Maybe, but I don't see how that helps. I did go back and see that Add Shares was also reported by Merrill and picked up by QM as shown in my new screenshots. There is an Investments category "Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain". If I shouldn't use it here when should I use it? Should I change it to this for the Add Shares? I also see that it is the subtraction of the Capital Gain to buy

new shares that QM is reporting as  "unclassified". Is there something else I can classify it as? Note that this is just one example of a recurring issue.

Also, why is only "ESPP Income" selectable? I'd never heard the term before. I had to look it up to see that I've never received any.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

In investment transactions, the Type is critical.  When the Type is Payment/Deposit it is classified as a cash transaction and not an investment transaction.  In this case, you can assign your categories to it but not the internal investment categories that are tied to specific with Investment Types.  It appears from the screenshot that your brokerage is not using the correct Type for the Reinvested Dividends.  These should use the Buy type since what's happening is you're getting a dividend and then that dividend is getting reinvested into the same security.  I think the fix is to manually change these transactions to Buys and to also alert your brokerage to the fact that they are incorrectly sending these as cash transaction to Quicken.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Marcus, I wanted to call your attention to this thread where multiple users are reporting problems with Quicken matching downloaded payments to previously-entered manual transactions; Quicken doesn't match them, even though all the fields appear to match, and when they try to merge the transactions, Quicken also warns them that the amounts are different even though they appear to be identical.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bills should not project the current credit card statement balance (eBill) as the....

Quicken for MAC 2019 Premier: The user should be able to schedule a 'normal average' amount for FUTURE occurrences of a bill (like a credit card), but still have eBill automatically pull in the statement balance for the current bill due without overwriting future occurrence amounts as equal to the most recent statement balance linked.  This is very problematic when for example, one month's balance (like at Christmas time) is much higher than normal balances- it really throws off the projected future cash account balance.  I know I could manually adjust the future occurrence amounts for every affected bill, every month after Quicken updated them to the most recent amount, but this is ridiculously tedious.
  • Stephen Borisoff
    Stephen Borisoff Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    In general, I am and was very happy that Quicken for Mac separated forever from Intuit.  The new owners of the app work very hard to improve the app with constant updates.  The Subscription approach doesn't even bother me, even with auto renew!  But... I just unchecked auto renew from my Quicken profile and uninstalled the latest Quicken for Mac.  Why?  Because I checked under Export and the QMFT and other files that allowed to move data to other apps is GONE since the last couple of updates.  Quicken developers should trust that their good work keeps their customers even under the subscription shackle!  But to only have a Windows Transfer file and CSV is really too encumbering for me.  I somehow used a Time Machine backup and went back to the beginning of December, 2018, produced a QMFT file of all my data for 6 accounts since 2008 and moved them into SEE Finance. I have a year subscription with Quicken for Mac but am willing to let it go unless Quicken puts back the capacity to Export to other apps.  I don't like coercion.
  • jacobs
    edited February 2019
    Options

In general, I am and was very happy that Quicken for Mac separated forever from Intuit.  The new owners of the app work very hard to improve the app with constant updates.  The Subscription approach doesn't even bother me, even with auto renew!  But... I just unchecked auto renew from my Quicken profile and uninstalled the latest Quicken for Mac.  Why?  Because I checked under Export and the QMFT and other files that allowed to move data to other apps is GONE since the last couple of updates.  Quicken developers should trust that their good work keeps their customers even under the subscription shackle!  But to only have a Windows Transfer file and CSV is really too encumbering for me.  I somehow used a Time Machine backup and went back to the beginning of December, 2018, produced a QMFT file of all my data for 6 accounts since 2008 and moved them into SEE Finance. I have a year subscription with Quicken for Mac but am willing to let it go unless Quicken puts back the capacity to Export to other apps.  I don't like coercion.

Stephen, I think you may have misunderstood what QMFT was there for, and why it's likely now gone. Maybe Marcus will chime in here and confirm, but I think I can give you the background...

As I understand it, the "Quicken Mac 2007 Transfer File (QMFT)" was created after Quicken Essentials came out in 2010. Quicken Essentials was the start of the project to re-write Quicken for Mac for the modern Mac operating system, but the project was a mess as Intuit management kept changing directions and personnel. Essentials came out in 2010 with significantly limited set of the old Quicken 2007 features. Intuit promised a full Quicken for Mac the following year, but by 2011, the head of the Quicken division -- the founder of Mint.com, which Intuit had purchased -- had left, and Mac development stalled. Longtime Mac customers were angry that Quicken Essentials didn't meet their needs, and the "Quicken Mac 2007 Transfer File" was created as a way to move data back to Quicken 2007 for users who wanted to back out of Essentials.

By 2013, Intuit had decided to resurrect the Quicken Mac effort, hired Marcus to manage the project, gave him an impossibly small development team, and they set about revamping the Quicken Essentials code to use some newer Apple technologies under the hood, and to add features -- particularly investment tracking -- that had been missing in Essentials. In late summer 2014, what emerged was Quicken 2015, built on the codebase and using the same user interface of Quicken Essentials. Over the ensuing four years, the development team has grown, and more and more features have been added to Quicken for Mac -- still a work-in-progress that awaits many features from Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows.

QMFT was never intended nor built as a general-purpose way of exporting data to other financial software; it had the singular purpose of serving as an emergency lifeboat for Quicken Essentials users to get back to Quicken 2007 in the early part of this decade. Since Quicken 2007 is no longer supported by the company, and since there's no reason to migrate backward to Quicken 2007 nowadays, I'm assuming they simply removed it somewhere in the past year because its purpose didn't exist anymore. (I'd guess they got occasional had support calls from users who tried to use the export for a purpose it hadn't been built for, but expected Quicken to make it work.)

That all said, I absolutely agree with your premise: Quicken should provide a way for users to export their data in some format that they could access in spreadsheets. (They're never going to build a tool to make it easy for users to migrate to specific competing products, of course, but a general-purpose export to a spreadsheet is a reasonable request; other developers could then figure out how to import what Quicken exports.) But QMFT was never such a tool, and I don't believe removing it was coercion to stay with Quicken.
  • deanesfield
    deanesfield Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    edited February 2019
    Options

I agree, and the Qwin placed the reinvested amount in the Inv. Amt column, with RtnCap into the Cash Amt column.

Another plus for Quicken for Windows. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019
    Options

Marcus, I wanted to call your attention to this thread where multiple users are reporting problems with Quicken matching downloaded payments to previously-entered manual transactions; Quicken doesn't match them, even though all the fields appear to match, and when they try to merge the transactions, Quicken also warns them that the amounts are different even though they appear to be identical.

Thanks.  I'll take a look.  I'm not aware of any changes to our matching logic so nothing should have changed there but you never know.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2018
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bills should not project the current credit card statement balance (eBill) as the....

Quicken for MAC 2019 Premier: The user should be able to schedule a 'normal average' amount for FUTURE occurrences of a bill (like a credit card), but still have eBill automatically pull in the statement balance for the current bill due without overwriting future occurrence amounts as equal to the most recent statement balance linked.  This is very problematic when for example, one month's balance (like at Christmas time) is much higher than normal balances- it really throws off the projected future cash account balance.  I know I could manually adjust the future occurrence amounts for every affected bill, every month after Quicken updated them to the most recent amount, but this is ridiculously tedious.

We agree.  The problem today is that Quicken Mac doesn't have the concept of the "Next Occurrence" that is different than the scheduled model. Technically it does underneath the hood but we haven't exposed it to customers yet. We've been working on this now for a couple of months and hope to ship it in the first quarter of next year.  Once we do this, bill presentment will update the next occurrence leaving the model amount the same and consistent into the future.  I think this will eventually work like you propose.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2018
    Options

Jacobs always says it better than I could.  Everything he says is spot on.  We removed that export feature in this last release for 2 reasons.  1) The primary reason is that it has bugs and I didn't want to spend valuable development time fixing issues in it or not fixing issues and having customers run into problems with buggy exported files 2) We don't want to encourage customers moving back to a non-supported Quicken 2007 because Apple is going to block running of that application in a not too distant MacOS release because it is a 32 Bit app.  I would prefer that we focus all our development effort on adding the features to the subscription product that 2007 customers have been requesting and patiently waiting for.  I fully agree with your sentiment.  Quicken shouldn't keep customers only because it's hard to export our data.  Everything is a tradeoff.  If we work on improving export it means we aren't working on renaming rules, memorized transactions, improved scheduled transactions, improved reporting, improved budgeting, improved investment tracking, etc. At this time, I feel we need to focus on adding features.  With that said, I'm not opposed to adding back that export but I just don't want to spend development time on it.  Do other people find it useful as is?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

Marcus, thanks for the reply. I think your priority for adding functionality a lot of people are clamoring for is correctly the higher need.

That said, I do think you should put on the development roadmap, perhaps a year or two down the road, a general-purpose export of data to a spreadsheet. If a user chooses to leave Quicken for whatever reason (or in the worst case scenario, if the company some day shuts down) there should be a way users can extract their personal data they've spent years or decades storing in Quicken in some usable form.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100)."

I am using mac version 5.9.1 and receive a notice that there is a new version available.  After about 11.3 MB of the download it fails stating, "An error occurred while downloading the update.  Try again later."  This has occurred for a number of days.  How can I resolve it?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100)."

Log into your account at www.quicken.com and download a complete fresh copy.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sure, we can look to add better export in the future.  Today, we already support CSV export and one can import that into an app like Banktivity, Excel or Numbers.  Also, the Quicken Mac format isn't proprietary or anything.  It's just a SQL database so Quicken data can be viewed in any SQL databases viewer.  We use a third-party app called DB Browser for SQLite when looking at the Quicken Mac's database.  There's nothing special about it. I'm not saying a customer would do this but another company could easily build an import tool to import from Quicken Mac's native file. 
  • Stephen Borisoff
    Stephen Borisoff Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I still don't agree with you guys about the removal of that export file.  Here is a transcript of a reply by a third party developer of some other financial app who I know understands everything there is to know about the workings of the QIF/QMTF file because he has always made it work whereas developers of Moneydance for instance have never ever tried for a decade and a half!  Here is his reply about whether he agrees with me about the unwise removal of the export capacity. He does not agree with the rational of the Quicken developer as outlined above:

"I agree with you, Stephen,  These aren’t very good reasons to take it out.  They know it’s primary purpose now is for users exporting to different programs and they cut it off.  It is 100% just a QIF export option using a different file extension.  It is a left over from Quicken Essentials as it was setup to allow users to convert back to Quicken 2007 as many people didn’t like Quicken Essentials, but the format of the contents was 100% QIF.  The only problem with it was it never was updated to export investment accounts and transactions.  Quicken Essentials didn’t allow for recording investment transactions which is why the QMTF export didn’t include them and it was never updated to do so.  It still served as the only option to export data from Quicken into any other program.  Now the only open format exporting option is exporting transactions to a CSV file for each account individually which won’t import into most programs, my finance app included, as you generally can’t import splits from a CSV file.  CSV files are just plain text spreadsheet files that can contain anything.  As old as the QIF file format is, it is still the best file format for converting between programs.  Honestly, I doubt it would take long at all for them to implement a proper QIF export.  Their QMTF export was fairly good except that it didn’t include investment information." 

This is his opinion...

This discussion has been closed.