Export or copy transactions from one investment account and import into another.

Rs6er
Rs6er Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I switched  an investment account from a personal account into a trust account. The investment company set up a new account for the trust. I would like to export the transactions from the non-trust account into the new trust account so I can have a continuous record instead of 2 accounts. Quicken Mac 2017.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Did you switch the entire personal account?  Was anything NOT moved to the trust?

If you answers are Yes and than NO, the easiest thing to do is to just switch the name, tax attributes, etc on the account to reflect the new situation.

IF the account was enabled for download, you'll need to disable that download (from the personal account) before you re-enable it for the trust account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rs6er
    Rs6er Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Did you switch the entire personal account?  Was anything NOT moved to the trust?

If you answers are Yes and than NO, the easiest thing to do is to just switch the name, tax attributes, etc on the account to reflect the new situation.

IF the account was enabled for download, you'll need to disable that download (from the personal account) before you re-enable it for the trust account.

I switchd the entire account. ( I actually have several accounts there. I am only interested in this one account.) Everything was moved to the trust account from the non-trust account. The trust account is already enabled for downloading. I just want to export the transactions from the old register and import them into the new register.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

QMac does not have a way to move investment transactions from one account to another; i.e., there is no "Move Transaction" nor can one Cut/Paste investment transactions.
    You manually reenter the transactions in the new account and delete the transactions in the old account.

One can Drag/Drop cash transactions from one account to another but not investment transactions.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Rs6er
    Rs6er Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Too many years to do that. What a failing of the software!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

WAIT, was this trust account not new?  Which would mean, in reality that you were combining the personal account into an already existing Trust account?

IF the trust account IS new, just re-purpose it as I  described above.  No need to move anything.

• Rs6er
    Rs6er Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Isn't it a little late for that? For downloading purposes, the two accounts existed at the same time for a while as securities, dividends, and cash updated and were transferred. I now have transactions in the trust dating back to January 18 and one in the joint dating back to 2015.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

The investment company set up a new account for the trust.
    I replied to your statement in the original message.  If your statement was inaccurate, as you now seem to be stating, then OF COURSE you got the replies that you got.

SO, what's the actual situation?

• Rs6er
    Rs6er Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Nothing I said is inaccurate. Last January they set up the new Trust account and I began downloading transactions in that account as I had from the original account since 2015. I would like to combine the transactions into the new account, but I am not willing to hand enter all the entries into the new account. I don’t understand what your confusion and attitude are all about.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

What about going the other way around? Re-enter the transactions in the new Trust account into the old account, then re-purpose the old account as the Trust account?

If that is still too much, an alternative would try the following:
    1. backup your data file for safe keeping (hopefully you are already doing that regularly anyway)
    2. create a copy of the data file, delete ALL accounts except the new Trust account.
    3. Rename the new Trust account in the NEW data file (copy) to be EXACTLY as the old account. 
    4. Then export the Trust account from the NEW data file into a QXF file (not to be confused with a QFX file). 
    5. Then import the QXF file into the old data file. This should merge the data into the old account register
    6. Now rename and re-purpose the old account as the new Trust account.
    7. If you were downloading data into it, you will need to de-activate, then re-activate the downloads so the data from the new trust account gets loaded into the new combined register.
    Again, be sure you have at least one or more backups of the original data file in case something does not turn out as you expect.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

What about going the other way around? Re-enter the transactions in the new Trust account into the old account, then re-purpose the old account as the Trust account?

If that is still too much, an alternative would try the following:
    1. backup your data file for safe keeping (hopefully you are already doing that regularly anyway)
    2. create a copy of the data file, delete ALL accounts except the new Trust account.
    3. Rename the new Trust account in the NEW data file (copy) to be EXACTLY as the old account. 
    4. Then export the Trust account from the NEW data file into a QXF file (not to be confused with a QFX file). 
    5. Then import the QXF file into the old data file. This should merge the data into the old account register
    6. Now rename and re-purpose the old account as the new Trust account.
    7. If you were downloading data into it, you will need to de-activate, then re-activate the downloads so the data from the new trust account gets loaded into the new combined register.
    Again, be sure you have at least one or more backups of the original data file in case something does not turn out as you expect.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

BTW, that last alternative would be far easier if the data exported to QXF file was selectable. You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data and File Management Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    You might want to try the following but first create a copy of your data file as smayer97 suggested. Then delete your Trust account and rename your personal account to the name of the Trust account. I would first disable transactions to your personal account. Now enable downloads for your Trust account. Hopefully all your Trust account transactions will be downloaded if not you can go back to your saved file or a recent backup.
  • Rs6er
    Rs6er Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I might but I’m afraid I’d only get 6 months of transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rs6er said:

I might but I’m afraid I’d only get 6 months of transactions.

The above procedure will not lose any data. Plus, if something should go wrong, you have your back up you can revert to with no change.

This discussion has been closed.