A wishlist for quicken investment

1.      Where could I find management / explanation investment action item?

2.      Is there a filter for security transaction by date, action, income category, etc?

3.      Is there filter for security list by currently owned, etc?

4.      Is there a way to modify _DIVINC to _DIVINCtaxfree and _INTINV to _INTINVtaxfree?

5.      If no support/functions on the above, how can we make it a wishlist to quicken?

Best Answers

Answers

• Stephen Hu
    Stephen Hu Member ✭✭

Thanks for some insight 😊

I have a same security in both taxable and non-taxable (Roth, specified as retirement) accounts with pay dividend.  By doing the tax free box in Security Details will place same tax status, either _DIVINC or  _DIVINCtaxfree on both account.  Logically, _DIVINC should be used for taxable account and _DIVINCtaxfree be used for retirement account.  Placing the account with retirement status should automatically have a tax-free, _DIVINCtaxfree, status with deferral reminder for regular IRA at distribution. The tax-free box should be limited to CD or bond that is likely to be a tax-free security. I have not seen a stock has a tax-free status and let me know if you know one 😊.

Conclusion: Right now, placing in the retirement account dose noting and using tax free box produce erroneous results.  I think Quicken can do a better job on this.

For my Q2: I want to see a live short register to understand the recent transactions and make adjustment as needed.  Through a report that would be two steps more. But, thanks the tip.  I think Quicken can do a better job on this.

For my Q3: I try look for it and there is not currently own filter in the security listing.  The filter could greatly simplify viewing with yeas of investment activities.  Again, I think Quicken can do a better job on this.

• Stephen Hu
    Stephen Hu Member ✭✭

The logic is meaningless of tagging a tax-free status to a financial activity in a retirement account since it is not accounted in tax filing unless a distribution reported as income.  

The regular activity labeling can still be used for tracking gain, loss, dividend and etc. if desired. 

Got it, thanks sharing all the insights.

This discussion has been closed.