Create account groups (4 Merged Vote)

M WaxM Wax Member ✭✭
I'm a Quicken user for 20+ years. I like my account groups separate. May I ask is it possible to separate Property and Debt into separate groups? Is it possible to create a group? I would like a separate group for life insurance? I now have it listed under Property and Debt. Shouldn't the user be able to have this ability to conform to how they would like to organize ones assets and debt?
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• DorKulDorKul Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm new to Quicken (recently bought the Quicken Deluxe 2017 version). In
    two different softwares that I used before - I could group my accounts
    together, so that if I have 2 accounts in Bank A, and 3 accounts in Bank B, for example - I could manage each account separately, but still see a roll-up of the total amount in both banks.
    Both previous softwares showed me the accounts grouped by the bank they
    belong to, the balance in each account, and the total balance in that
    bank - all in the left pane at the side. I liked that feature, and it
    seems strange to me that I don't see that option in Quicken.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    To put it another way, Quicken has chosen to group accounts in the Account Pane by category and subcategory rather than financial institution. The major categories are Banking, Investing, Property and debt and the subcategories are Checking, Savings, Credit, Investment, Retirement, etc. Many users find this useful.

If you want to see a roll-up for a particular financial institution, you can go to Reports/Net Worth and Balances/Account Balances to display the Account Balance report. Then click on the gear to customize the report and select just the accounts for the institution you are interested in and it will display the balances for just that institution. You can save this report for future use and repeat for your other institutions.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • DorKulDorKul Member ✭✭
    edited October 11

I didn't know about that difference

between IDEAs and PROBLEMs - now I'm wondering if I should change some
    of my other post types (and if so - how).

On that subject, I was
    looking for information about the possibility for using the mobile app
    with foreign currencies, and I saw that quite a few people had entered
    QUESTIONs about this - basically asking if it was possible, and
    receiving the answer that it is not.

I wanted to go one step
    further than just asking, and put in a vote that this is something that I
    would like to see (and evidently others would, too) - so I posted a
    PROBLEM with that request. Should I have posted an IDEA instead? Would
    that make a difference?

Thanks again for your help.
  • Bishop3Bishop3 Member
    edited October 2018
    I too would like to have the ability to group accounts.  I have 529 accounts with American Funds and the only way to have direct connect services with them is to have a separate account setup in Quicken for each account and fund within that account.  It is a limitation of American Funds and not with Quicken.  This works fine, but I have 4 account with American Funds and each have 4 funds.  This creates 16 accounts in Quicken. 

To make matters worse some of my C shares now converted to A shares, and thus I now have more funds and more Quicken accounts in order to direct connect to them.

Everything works good except the account list is long.  Would just be nice have the ability to expand or contract groups of accounts in the bar on the left.  I know this may cause some ripple effect with the way Quicken already groups account, so it may not be that easy to implement. Just wanted to get my vote in that this would be a nice to have feature in future if possible.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22

I too would like to have the ability to group accounts.  I have 529 accounts with American Funds and the only way to have direct connect services with them is to have a separate account setup in Quicken for each account and fund within that account.  It is a limitation of American Funds and not with Quicken.  This works fine, but I have 4 account with American Funds and each have 4 funds.  This creates 16 accounts in Quicken. 

To make matters worse some of my C shares now converted to A shares, and thus I now have more funds and more Quicken accounts in order to direct connect to them.

Everything works good except the account list is long.  Would just be nice have the ability to expand or contract groups of accounts in the bar on the left.  I know this may cause some ripple effect with the way Quicken already groups account, so it may not be that easy to implement. Just wanted to get my vote in that this would be a nice to have feature in future if possible.

There is a vote button above to the right.  That is what Quicken Inc will be looking for.
  • Bishop3Bishop3 Member
    edited November 22

Got it. Vote done. I hope others will vote on this.
    Good idea. I think a general solution to this would be to add a user definable "Account type" which could be used to select and group accounts in reports and the Investing > Portfolio views. This would be similar to the Investing goal for securities but would be an account attribute.

Some people have asked to be able to use this also for selecting and grouping "his" "hers" and "joint" accounts instead.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Would Tags work?  You can sort reports by Tags.
    I think Tags can only be applied to transactions. This would be like tags but for accounts instead.
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member
    edited September 5
    So I have a lot of accounts in Quicken H&B.

I would like to see a filter box at top of the left column where all the accounts are listed on left side where if we put a key word(s) it would filter the accounts on those key word(s).

I tend to put some key initials of accounts so I can easily see who they belong to whether a business, personal (my and my wife), property, etc XX BANK xxx9239

So if I put "XX "it would redisplay list with all that contain that key word/letters.

Another example my wife and myself may have same accounts at same bank and I want to see all accounts quickly buy putting say "Wells" and it would filter the list to include those accounts with the letters "Wells" which may include mine/wife and businesses.

Also nice to include ability with "AND" and "OR" - when filtering to make it even more powerful.

In the filter box is should be have an X to clear filter box.

Be a great help to have this feature when one has many accounts.
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member
    One more suggestion. It would be nice to have the ability to group accts together. yes my work around is the filters but if I were to put accounts into groups or add tags to them and then to filter on them would be very beneficial also.
    edited September 23
    [removed self-referencing link]

Would it work for you to have user definable account groups? That way you would not have to take up space in the account name.
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member
    Yes account groups would be useful. I think for maximum flexibility I like tags where multiple tags can be applied to accounts. So I may credit card account where I may give it an tag-Credit Card and Name1 for whose account it belongs too - say my wife.

So it I filter or only want to see all credit cards it can select that tag. I might put two tags to filter and condense the list of accounts on left side.

My Filter suggestion was based upon key words in the account name. Selecting tag filters could be another why to condense the list quickly vs looking through 50+ accts

Just think it would improve usability for those having complex setups and alot of accounts.
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member
    Want maximum flexibility on filtering the list that I'm currently working with on the left side of screen list.
  • gt00txgt00tx Member ✭✭
    I have been away from Quicken for many years. Trying it out again. I see that the program organizes Banking Accounts into Spending and Saving. Is there a way to change this structure so I can customize to arrange by institution instead of what type of account Quicken THINKS it is?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28
    Hello gt00tx,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to create an account.

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka