Dark Mode for Quicken for Windows (6 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isomeme said:
    > "Invert Colors" is usable but, is definitely not good enough. No, too much fooling around, especially when using dark mode and multiple screens.

If I had known that my annoying hack to make Quicken borderline usable would be used as a reason that real dark mode need not be supported, I never would have shared it here. It was never meant to be more than a stopgap.
    I won't take that way.  The way I see it, given this is the status of the idea:
    Planned · Last Updated September 2022
    This request has been accepted and added to the Development roadmap for future implementation. At this time there is no ETA on when this functionality will be available. CTP-592

They really want to provide it and wouldn't stop that effort just because there is a sort of workaround, after all they haven't changed the status.  But given what is known about the code base and the amount of effort this would take, and the fact that that this idea has been in that state for a very long time, I wouldn't count on it them being able to implement it.  So, you should take your suggestion as the "best that can be done under the circumstances".  And hopefully is helping people.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gnat said:
    would like to vote on this idea, but not seeing a way.
    I believe that when the status of an idea is set to Planned as is the case with this idea, voting is turned off.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • rdecker
    rdecker Member
    Options
    I am casting a vote for a fully implemented and supported dark mode in Quicken. After 30 years as a technology professional, I am immediately turned off by unnecessary photons hitting my eyes. Some of us have eye conditions which make it difficult and sometimes painful to work with applications which do not offer dark mode.
  • swepat
    swepat Member
    Options
    I have been using Quicken for more years than I can remember, but this lack of a dark mode makes using almost impossible for me because of AMD in one eye. Windows 11 accessibility settings have helped for many programs, just not for Quicken. I know those of us with aging eyes are undoubtedly not in the majority of users, but those who object to dark mode today might well be the aging eyesight users of the future.
  • Maple Leaf
    Maple Leaf Member
    Options

I desperately need this dark mode option. Since so many users request it, I wonder why the Quicken folks are blind to our simple request.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry I can't and don't listen to a thing anybody says anymore. People will just tell you what you want to hear. I will tell you this though, I'm leary of a bad recession, and don't think for a minute it won't affect Quicken's bottom line. When people have no more money to count, then they won't need anything Quicken has to offer. Even those at the top will be starting to resort to Sirloin, instead of Filet's. That's where the rubber will “meat” the road (no pun intended)!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe a bit of explaination might help to understand the situtation.

I can make the simple request that I would like to go to the moon. Just because it is a simple request doesn't mean that the work to do that task is simple. This is the case of Dark mode, in an old program like Quicken it is far from a simple task. Quicken Inc isn't ignoring the request, they even stated that it is planned. I take that to mean they are (or maybe were) trying to do this, but finding it very hard to do, and that is why it hasn't happened yet.

On the subject of why people in this thread have resisted the idea. It isn't like anyone of them would love to flip a magic switch and it is there. The “problem” comes in this question “Based on Quicken Windows developer performance in the past, what is the likelihood that they can put this feature in that clearly will affect all aspects of Quicken, without breaking other things?” Needless to say, there isn't a high confidence level for this to happen.

Signature:
  • Spreggy
    Spreggy Member
    Options

Why isn't this handled yet? It's 2023, folks. Add a dark mode, this is amateur hour BS.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Current year has nothing to do with anything. The code and all the different APIs that make up Quicken dictate if this and easy or hard job. And if it was simple it would have already been done, it isn't.

Signature:
  • JohnTaylorNY
    JohnTaylorNY Member ✭✭
    Options
    +1 on dark mode
  • raylquicken
    raylquicken Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

It is time to stop the excuses. The benifits of dark mode have been known for a long time. Please get on the problem. if you were regulated by the ADA regulations, it would be mandatory, and you would be subject to the Justice Department regulations, as are all ADA matters. More important you would demonstrate your corporates concerns for user eye health—-especially for the older of us—-of all users.

• sproctor61
    sproctor61 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yes, PLEASE for Dark Mode!

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Those who insist that it is "easy" to implement dark mode have no idea what is involved to do this with the antique code that Quicken is based on. My eyes are not the best either but I have played with the font sizes and colors and I have settings that work just fine on my Asus 4K monitors. So if you are one of the plethora of people complaining that these are just "excuses" and that you do not believe ANYTHING that fellow users who have used this program for decades are trying to tell you that is on you. This is but one example of this:

"It is time to stop the excuses. The benifits of dark mode have been
    known for a long time. Please get on the problem. if you were regulated
    by the ADA regulations, it would be mandatory, and you would be subject
    to the Justice Department regulations, as are all ADA matters. More
    important you would demonstrate your corporates concerns for user eye
    health—-especially for the older of us—-of all users."

• mplum78@gmail.com
    Options

Yes please!!!

• RKeith01
    RKeith01 Member
    Options

+1 for Quicken Win11 dark mode support

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think dark mode will ever happen with the current version. Why? Microsoft can't even figure out dark mode for their own software (Microsoft Office 365 most recent version) for just one example. The code for the UI in Quicken is very fragile because of the mixture of code that it is. The only way to fix it is a complete rewrite of the software and as much as I would like to see that (some thing I has advocated for since 2015 IF done properly) it is not going to be happening in the near future.

• Supermann
    Supermann Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yes they do but I didn’t say they worked. In Access for example if dark mode is activated when you try edit a table the text is so light as to be unreadable. The “solution” that MS support offered was to use light grey but that made Word and Excel use that bright white background that is awful on the eyes. MS is still looking for a solution.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excel has dark mode?

Yes and no.

Fine they made the menus "dark", but look at the spreadsheet parts that you are going to be spending most of your time in. That is like if Quicken was to be changed so this part is dark:

But the register is white.

But in reality, it doesn't matter. Microsoft has much more resources available and has rewritten most of its Office code over the years. Quicken Inc doesn't have such resources.

Signature:
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW Agreed. My recent headaches with office have happened because I finally switched from the 32bit to 64bit version. I spent a couple of house with MS Tech Support and we finally got my issue in Access cleared up but neither the tech support person or I can put a finger on the exact cause except there was something screwy in the code. I had forgotten about Excel and you are spot on there. At least they (finally) allowed Word documents to have a black background. Microsoft has the resources whereas Quicken does not and this is what most people can't come to grips with.

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not too difficult to tweak the cell formatting for the entire sheet - then it looks sweet! I'm SLOWLY converting old sheets as I encounter them.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good to know you can do, it but if I'm in dark mode and create a new spreadsheet it creates it white. I shouldn't have to go in and tweak the formatting.

Signature:
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Totally agree. Two other possible shortcuts until they get a clue.

1. Name the style and merge it into any new/exiting sheet. Not always smooth if you have heavy formatting on the old one.
    2. Save a reference sheet to always start with and then "Save as…" the newly desired sheet

I have a few sheets that have specific formatting that I only want to darken. So I have to just go through the 3 dialog pages to accomplish that.

• Johnny Youts
    Johnny Youts Member ✭✭
    Options

Need dark mode please

• jgeoghegan88999
    Options

Dark mode now please. It's 2023. Welcome to now.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jgeoghegan88999 For all the reasons previously mentioned there is little to no chance of this every happening in the Windows version. Microsoft can't properly implement "'dark mode" in Microsoft 365 so how can Quicken do it? This is a "feature" that is better left untouched because it will cause more issues. These issues are far more complex than any of you who have never programmed in your life and think that this is an easy thing to do realize.

• Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    Options

My eyes ache when I use Quicken; I wish there were a Dark Mode feature, but I understand the intricacies of implementing it from a Quicken developer standpoint. It isn't "easy" with tens of thousands of lines of delicately balanced legacy code.

This is off-topic and does not pertain to Quicken, but this may help some users of Microsoft Edge as it has made a significant difference for me. Perhaps some folks on this thread may find it useful.

If you use Microsoft Edge and are bothered by the "whitespace" on pages (particularly if you have a large screen), there is a hidden setting that will transform that white space to dark.

if you open Edge and put:

edge:/flags/#enable-force-dark

in the url space and press enter, you'll get a screen called "Experiments". The top option on the screen will look like this:

(Except it will say "Default" where mine above says "Enabled" as I already changed it)

There will be a lot of other settings below it that I don't know anything about and didn't tamper with.

If you switch the above to "Enabled" (as shown), then close and reopen Edge, then go to a webpage that was "white" (such as Amazon) you'll see the difference.

Made it a whole lot easier on my old eyes.

To revert you can always switch it back to "Default".

Use it at your own risk; just passing it along fwiw.

Cheers!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dave508 Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

Signature:
  • QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I find this migration to "dark mode" somewhat amusing. I remember when the first PCs were being introduced in the mid 1980s, everything was pretty much dark mode. The spreadsheets had a dark background with multi-color lettering (Lotus Symphony). The word processing document screen were a dark blue with white lettering. Then when WYSIWYG came out everyone was amazed how "real" things looked. Almost everything switched to a white background with black lettering which looked more like working with paper and pen and seemed more like real life. A dark DOS background looked antiquated. obsolete, and uninviting. Fast forward to today, and the same generation that wanted the eyeball scorching white screens and WYSIWYG now want to go back to the "dark mode".