Dark Mode for Quicken for Windows (6 Merged Votes)

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW , @Rocket J Squirrel - happy to pass the information along. I know the Edge "experimental" setting isn't perfect for everything, but I use it almost exclusively in Edge. When I encounter something in Edge that doesn't display as it should, I copy/paste the URL in Chrome or Duck-Duck-Go and check it out there. Or turn it off in Edge, but that requires an Edge restart and I'm usually too impatient to do that :-).

I'm an old dude, so way back in the way-back we only had comparatively small monitors, so white space wasn't a big deal on the old eyeballs. I've been using a 27" monitor for years now and all that glaring white space is blinding anymore, so any help I can get is a good thing, particularly in the early morning hours when my eyes are more sensitive to light.

Looking forward to Quicken's address of whitespace. I know it isn't easy with legacy code (I'm a retired programmer and worked on products that offered different color schemes. It's not as easy as many think with a codebase that's ~30 years old.

Anyway, I digress. Cheers!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dave508 I go back far enough to remember terminals with white text (actually even punch cards for a bit), and the big studies that proved that was a bad combination and switching to amber (the best color) or green. And then "Windows" came out and all of that good research went out of the window. Well sort of, as a programmer myself I like all other programmers had editors meant for us and they always had "dark mode". So, while programming I never was looking at a pure white screen like everything was until all of a sudden, the world woke up to the fact that "dark mode" was a good thing. Only took them a 25 or 30 years!

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MattBB
    MattBB Member
    Options

+1 on Dark theme ASAP.

Im a dev, ALL my uis are dark mode by default.

Here is a hint @ Quicken management:
    If your devs say they cant make a dark theme, too complicated, too expensive, too long, they are not good devs, get new devs.
    Lack of dark theme reeks of incompetence.

Dark mode shouldn't take more then a couple sprints including testing.

This should have been done years ago.

PS: I can already see Mods, arrogant 5 star forum trolls or angry devs going on the offensive on my post.
    Don't care, I am right.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Options

@MattBB do you have any idea how many different GUI APIs are being used in Quicken Windows?

The "Web" ones for the tax planner, Lifetime planner, and most of the business form for instance, are pre-2000. From back when Bill Gates was declaring "Desktop is the web".

If you don't deal with 30+ year old code bases, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MattBB - wonder if you have ever worked on a project with 20yr old software comprised of bolted together libraries from various vendors… that might not even exist anymore.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bywilson
    bywilson Member
    Options

I agree. I'm 66 and working with the white background is difficult!

• Zorz Studios
    Zorz Studios Member ✭✭
    Options

Coming from most of my online services in dark mode into Quicken desktop is soooo hard on the eye, especially since I only have time to work there in the evening, during quiet time…

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please do make sure that you're working in a well lit environment, not in a dark room. Screen glare is reduced when your eyes are adapted to a room which is well lit.

• sfdoerr
    sfdoerr Member
    Options

Yes, Dark Mode is not rocket science. Please get your development team on this!!

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• hsu888
    hsu888 Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken user for 20+ years and definitely vote for dark mode ASAP. Thank you.

• papabear
    papabear Member ✭✭
    Options

lets getting this going.

so many years gone by… Quicken is the only program I now have that does not have dark mode.

Giddy up! and Ketch-up

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be wonderful if dark mode came out with the next update…..current update is R55.26…

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.