Dark Mode for Quicken for Windows (6 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QWinUser I remember the same, and as a programmer I have always had "dark mode" for my code editors.

When terminals first came out, they were white text on a "black"/off screen. There was a big European study on it and it was decided that green was better, and amber was the best color for the text. After that terminals tended to have either green or amber text. And it was great on the eyes.

On the "forced dark mode" in Edge I think I might have to reconsider. It does strange things to some of the colors on the screen (red becomes pink) especially for icon/images on web pages. I wish I could turn on this mode only for certain website, or more likely turn it off. As in when doing something like shopping have it off so that I can see the colors of the product.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Update: I found that the "Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements" works better for me since it doesn't mess with the images.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I just proved to myself that there isn't really a substitute for hard work on this one, and as such will most likely never happen, not just in Quicken, but in general. I found on Amazon.com there was no way I could have any dark mode on. Imagine this, you have black glasses or black clothing. If the background is dark, you can't make it out. Bottom line is that the choice of colors has to be made based on what you are displaying.

Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Chris_QPW But Amazon product displays aren’t a useful comparison. Quicken does know what is being displayed. They don’t need to deal with displaying dark sunglasses next to white copy paper for sale; they can design every element and optimize the colors. It’s been working in Quicken Mac for two years now, and I don’t see people complaining about the implementation.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs I wasn't really talking about Quicken in this case, just about the whole problem in general, and the use of Edge's experimental mode in particular.

The problem for Quicken Windows is sort of flipped on its head than what is happening on Amazon.com (and such sights).

In the case of web pages for the longest time they have had a system (CSS) that allows them to change different parts of the page for fonts, colors and such from a central place. So, they have the modern tools/APIs. But they face the problem of unknown content being displayed.

In the case of Quicken Windows it lacks APIs/controls (and in some cases too many APIs) that allows it to do this from "one place" instead of every individual control. Quicken Mac doesn't have controls from 30-year-old APIs that never had the need for this or displaying of webpages as regular GUI elements (tax planner, business forms).

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW both problems have one interesting commonality. They both could be pretty close to being fixed if they would allow "per site/application" settings.

In the case of Edge if I could set a given website like Amazon.com not to be inverted, that would mean that it would mostly be fixed.

In the case of Quicken if I could set only Quicken to use Windows Accessiibility → Color filters → Inverted. Then Quicken would be pretty much fixed. It is the fact that other applications would be adversely affect by this that makes it not a good solution. Note I do believe that there are applications out there that can do this if one is willing to use a third-party application.

Signature:
  • MBE300
    MBE300 Member
    Options

Thank you very much! I've been looking for a solution for quite a while! Using the color filter settins as described worked perfectly. Thanks again!

• gkeneson
    Options

We need dark image. I can bare;y read some lines even when using large text

• PhoenixRizez
    Options

For Windows, I have my color mode set to dark, which fixes a lot of the backgrounds and menus.

For websites, I use the Night Eye extension for Chrome; it makes all my websites dark, including sites like Amazon, but of course if a photo of a product has a white background it can't change that. It's $9/year, but I think I can handle 75 cents a month. And if any site has issues with it, which I haven't run into yet, I can simply toggle it off.

So, my only other problem is Quicken. And difficult or not, enough people want this feature that Quicken should be making it a priority. It got a good response in Quicken for Mac and it seems to work fine on that platform. And simply saying it's too difficult, lets not do it, doesn't cut it, especially when we all have so many other financial program options that are out there now. Many are even web-based and Night Eye will easily fix them if they don't have a night mode. I love Quicken and I have used it for for over 30 years, but it always seems to get treated like the red-headed step-child of every company that's ever owned it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@PhoenixRizez and Quicken Mac isn't a good comparison. Quicken Mac started a complete rewrite at a time when the industry understood that having different "schemes" would be a good thing. As a result, putting Dark mode in Quicken Mac was orders of magnitude easier than it will be in Quicken Windows with its different APIs going back more than 35 years.

Signature:
  • Supermann
    Supermann Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

We hear you, but speaking of, does Mac and Windows talk to each other, meaning would the same email work for sync purpose so that I could check out my stuff no matter which smart phone I use? Or the two versions don't speak to each other, therefore, one can't really back up QIF from windows and then open it in Mac to continue? And then maybe after a few months, would I be able to switch back to Windows? I guess that's like a lot of hoops so maybe a web-based version is what we should be looking for instead so that we are platform blind? For example, am I suggesting Quick on the Web? Haven't kept up with the discussions at https://community.quicken.com/categories/quickencommunity_using_quicken_on_the_web . Thanks

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Supermann No there isn't any way for Mac and Windows to talk to each other. One can take a Windows data file to a Mac and it will convert it to the Mac's format, "mostly intact". The other way around is much more problematic. Until recently investment transactions wouldn't even transfer, but now they are supposed to. I have yet to hear from anyone that has done this and what the result was. For this conversion one exports a QXF file from Quicken Mac and imports that into Quicken Windows. I do know that in Quicken Windows if you export a QXF file and then import it back into Quicken Windows, it now does import the investment transactions, but it messes up them up terribly. As for QIF format, Quicken Mac doesn't support it except for creating a new data file, and it would be much better just to use the Quicken Windows data file conversion that Quicken Mac has (which by the way is in fact a modified Quicken Windows program that puts out a QXF file in the background)

As for Quicken Mobile/Web is concerned, they don't "intermix". In our words, notice there is a separate tab for each in the "Cloud Account". In case you don't know Quicken Mobile/Web are really just the "GUIs" for the Quicken Cloud Account.

BTW noticed something ironic today. On my Android Phone that is in dark mode, this website displays fine and is in dark mode. But on a Windows PC you have to "force it" with settings or plugins or such. If Quicken Inc can't even make this website display in dark mode properly (or the vendor of this forum software) where websites have had the ability to separate the "theme" from the content for ages, what is the chance of Quicken Windows doing it?

Signature:
  • Supermann
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • jacobs
    Options

Quicken Simplifi is a cloud-based product which is used exclusively from a web browser. So it only depends on your your browser supporting dark mode.

But there is no migration path from Quicien Classic to Quicken Simplifi. And there's a lot of Classic functionality which doesn't exist in Simplifi. (Like reports, to name one. 😀)

Most of us here are Quicken Classic users who have either never used or only taken a brief glance at Simplifi, so you likely won't get good information about Simplifi here. You may want to go to the parallel community forum for Quicken Simplifi to ask questions about that product.

• Supermann
    Options

Thanks. How about the ios/android app? Would it also support dark mode? Happy to ask in the other forum and report back, if necessary. I tend to think cloud should be the way to go instead of having to sit in front of a laptop/desktop at home to do data entry.

• jacobs
    Options

@Supermann People in this forum are very divided over using the cloud for their financial data and credentials. For some, it makes great sense for portability and use-anywhere convenience, as well as not having to deal with downloading and installing program updates. But others are adamant about not wanting their entire financial data, including login credentials for their financial institutions, in Quicken's cloud due to concerns about Quicken selling aggregated, anonymized data and/or the potential of a data hack.

Simplifi certainly seems like the way of the future, as more and more of our personal data lives in the cloud. But the company has said they intend to continue to develop and modernizer the desktop applications because some users want their data to remain local, and because Simplifi doesn't have nearly the depth of features.

I don't use the mobile app, and I therefore don't follow the community forum topics for the mobile app, but a quick search just turned up an apparent "no" to your question.

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding that presumably "off-topic" post - it caught my eye since the ONLY way Quicken desktop would ever get a refreshed UI would be to go Web. I'd never heard of that other product. Presumably ALL of the data entered there is stored in the cloud. Everyone's personal financial data in the Cloud - what could go wrong. It's amazing and frightening how trusting the younger generation can be.

• Supermann
    Options

Thanks. I meant to confirm whether the new Simplifi app supports dark mode. I hear you.

• jacobs
    Options

I meant to confirm whether the new Simplifi app supports dark mode. 

According to this July 2023 review in PC Magazine: "Since our last review, Simplifi has … added support for dark mode."

• Uday
    Uday Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Many applications provide Black Theme or System Theme as a standard. Why don't you look at the option with proper black and color themes that reduces the eye strain. Right now there are large portions of white space glaring on user eyes. Secondly the Font and screens should be crispy than bland

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Uday,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request which is currently marked as Planned.

Please refer to Page 1 for details.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AM
    AM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Add another vote for "dark mode" in Quicken Classic Deluxe for Windows!

• smichels62
    smichels62 Member ✭✭
    Options

Add another vote for me as well for "dark mode" or "dark theme" in Quicken Classic Deluxe for Windows!

Thank you,

Scott

• jakellyv
    jakellyv Member
    Options

Thanks for this hack! The blinding brightness is really rough on my sensitive eyes. I'm going to use this method on anything that doesn't have a dark mode! It is a bit of a pain that it effects the entire computer, both screens. I'd rather Quicken figured out a dark mode with nice color choices, but until then, I'm so grateful for this work-around. It took me a second to setup, but once I did, it really is easy and I'll use it for a variety of situations:

1) Search Invert Colors on windows and enable checkbox
    2) Press windows button (mine is labeled start) & = button
    3) It is actually a magnifying pop-up, so use the windows button & - button to make it 100%
    4) Now! Anytime I want to switch the entire computer to dark mode, I just press windows & =
    5) Closing the pop up reverts back to non-inverted colors.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Look at Color Filters in Windows Settings. You choose one color filter which can be activated by Windows key + Ctrl + C. This is an actual feature, as opposed to the magnifier hack. This image is from Win10 Pro, yours might differ.

Inverted can be pretty gaudy. You might prefer Grayscale Inverted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• yianni90
    yianni90 Member
    Options

For the visually impaired with advance glaucoma it is imperative a dark mode is available for Quicken in windows.

• myramoki
    myramoki Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options

Dark Mode has been around in Windows for several years now. Its been available in many applications long before that even. I see MANY people, like me, complaining about the painful experience it is trying to use Quicken. Its like staring into a lightbulb. I dread having to use it, especially if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of work in it. And inverting colors is a poor, quite frankly lousy, 'fix' to this glaring issue.

I don't have a single app on my computer, other than games, that don't support Dark Mode EXCEPT Quicken. The only app that I regularly use that has similar issues, is a web browser, and its not the browser itself, but the websites that generally don't have a Dark Mode.

There is no feature, bug fix, or performance enhancement that I can think of that would come anywhere near how much having Dark Mode make using Quicken so much better!

The fact that it is 'Planned' is great, but it really needs to have its priority bumped to High / Immediate! It is TIME! WE WANT DARK MODE!!!

• Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    Options

@myramoki

I agree with you on how nice it will be when Quicken introduces a dark(er) theme.

On webpages with a lot of white backgrounds, there is a setting (if you're using the Microsoft Edge browser) that you can use to "force" white webpages to display dark. Here's how to enable it if you're interested:

In the address bar, put in this:

edge://flags/#enable-force-dark

..and press enter. That will bring up a page of settings. The setting at the top will be

Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents

…which will likely be set to Default.

Click on the drop-down and change Default to Enabled.

It will ask you if it's ok to restart the browser for the setting to take effect. After it restarts the browser, go to any web page (like amazon for example) and it will now display dark instead of white.

Naturally to undo the change simply reverse the steps and change the setting back to Default.

Obviously, it only applies to web pages when in the Edge browser. Perhaps this will help you out.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whoa Nelly, @Dave508 ! You just sent me down a big rabbit hole, as I was unaware of edge://flags. I think I understand maybe 10% of them so will not touch. But interesting to learn about.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dave508 thanks. It is interesting to note that I use Edge on my Android phone, and when the system is set to dark mode or I set Edge to dark mode, this is exactly what it does by default instead of it just being experimental like on Windows. For the longest time I actually thought that this website in mobile mode knew about dark mode, but that wasn't the case, it was Edge doing this.

What I wish I could find is this, but with an "exception list" or "only on this site list" because this mode isn't usable on Amazon because of the image reversal in some cases means that you can even see the product.

Signature: