After I backup a file and then open it again all transactions are deleted. I need your help!

tonytg
tonytg Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken for 20 years and never had this issue before. Now when I backup a file and open it again all transactions are deleted. I have tried to backup 10 times with no success. I restore from the last good backup and then try again. After I open the restored file the transactions are there. Then I backup the file and open it again and all transactions are gone. The open file shows balances but no transactions. If you have any suggestions I would be very appreciative.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• tonytg
    tonytg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried the suggestions above. In the end the data file was corrupted and would not work so I had to go back to a backup from before I downloaded 2019 Quicken and update from that point in time (about 4 months ago). So now Quicken is working and backing up without corrupting the data file. I am not sure which of the suggestions were effective since I did all of them before restoring the old data file. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should validate your file to verify any data corruption. File>File Operations>Validate.
    Also, when a backup is performed, the file reopens without any user intervention. I'm not following why you say you need to open the file.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tonytg ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

Where are you backing up to? What file are you opening up again?

What is the location of the Main Quicken Data File?

Don't forget to include the other information.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you close and restart Quicken after seeing this issue?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tonytg
    tonytg Member ✭✭
    This problem occurred after Quicken was updated about 10 days ago. I have the 2019 download version. I have a PC running windows home 10, 64bit. OS Build 18362.295. The PC has an intel I7cpu @ 2.4 GH. I have tried closing Quicken and opening it. I also restored a backup file that had transactions several times and went thru the validation process with Quicken. During the file validation, all the transactions were deleted. Before I tried restoring a backup file with transactions. After I closed Quicken the transactions were gone. I have anti virus software installed which is up to date. I don't know what else to do.
  • tonytg
    tonytg Member ✭✭
    I checked and the controlled folder access option is not enabled. Thanks.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonytg said:
    This problem occurred after Quicken was updated about 10 days ago. I have the 2019 download version. I have a PC running windows home 10, 64bit. OS Build 18362.295. The PC has an intel I7cpu @ 2.4 GH. I have tried closing Quicken and opening it. I also restored a backup file that had transactions several times and went thru the validation process with Quicken. During the file validation, all the transactions were deleted. Before I tried restoring a backup file with transactions. After I closed Quicken the transactions were gone. I have anti virus software installed which is up to date. I don't know what else to do.
    Hi @tonytg ,

Thanks! When you initially installed Quicken Subscription, using the Quicken Installer, did you right-click and click Run as administrator to install Quicken?
    Besides Windows Defender Anti-Virus, what Anti-Virus program is installed?

Windows Defender does not need to be disabled when installing, other Anti-Virus Real-Time scanning does need to be disabled.

You might consider downloading Glary Utilities from: https://www.glarysoft.com/ and check the partition for File System Errors.

When you have 0 Errors, you might be wise to reinstall Quicken using this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• tonytg
    tonytg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried the suggestions above. In the end the data file was corrupted and would not work so I had to go back to a backup from before I downloaded 2019 Quicken and update from that point in time (about 4 months ago). So now Quicken is working and backing up without corrupting the data file. I am not sure which of the suggestions were effective since I did all of them before restoring the old data file. Thanks for all the suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.