Importing Quicken 2007 files

I have several Quicken 2007 files which I want to import into Quicken Subscription Application.
Should I import one file at a time or all the files together at one time.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    Okay, so you should import each Quicken 2007 file, by going to File > New > Start from Quicken 2007 data file. As long as you do File > New for each file, it will create a separate Quicken 2019 data file, just as you now have separate Quicken 2007 data files. After each import, you may want to rename each file so you can be clear which one is which.

The index rebuilding suggestion was just a precaution, but it isn't necessary. Hopefully your files will import without issue into Quicken 2019.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Are you trying to keep separate Quicken files, or are you wanting to merge them into a single file? Are the accounts in each one distinct from each other?
  • suren1934
    suren1934 Member ✭✭
    Accounts in each file distinct from each other.

Thank you.
  • jacobs
    So if I understand you correctly, you have several Quicken 2007 data files with separate and distinct accounts -- none of the same checking or investment accounts -- and you want to create a Quicken 2019 data file that merges all your data into one Quicken data file?

To start, select File > New, select Start from a Quicken 2007 data file, and let it import that into Quicken 2019. Pause to save a backup. Now, do File > Import > Quicken Mac 2007 File and specify the second file you want to merge into your new data file. Repeat until you have imported all the Quicken 2007 data files. Then do some careful checking and comparing of your data to insure that everything imported as you would have expected.

One additional tip. Assuming you still have Quicken 2007, before you import any of your files into Quicken 2019, I would open each Quicken 2007 data file one at a time and rebuild its indexes -- Command-Option-B -- and then quit Quicken 2007. The Quicken 2007 database is notoriously funky, and the rebuilding of the indexes fixes some problems which may have crept in, before you try to import.
  • suren1934
    suren1934 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jacobs. But there is some misunderstanding. I do not want to merge my 2007 files Into one single file as each file is for a different family member and contains similar checking and investment accounts. So after importing I want each file to be separate and distinct.

You have suggested that I first rebuild the indexes before importing. But that is not possible as my old computer quit on me and cannot be restarted. So I just cannot now open the 2007 files. My 2007 files had been backed up on my external hard drive just a few hours before the computer stopped working. So now I can have to import the files form my external hard drive.

I am in India, and because of the 9 to 12 hour time difference I may not be able to reply to you right away.

Again, many thanks for your help.
  • jacobs
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    Okay, so you should import each Quicken 2007 file, by going to File > New > Start from Quicken 2007 data file. As long as you do File > New for each file, it will create a separate Quicken 2019 data file, just as you now have separate Quicken 2007 data files. After each import, you may want to rename each file so you can be clear which one is which.

The index rebuilding suggestion was just a precaution, but it isn't necessary. Hopefully your files will import without issue into Quicken 2019.
  • suren1934
    suren1934 Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your help. I have been able to successfully import my 2007 files.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you successfully converted to QMac Sub, this may be moot but what version of QM2007 did you have and does you backup have a copy of the app? If so, as long as it is v16.1.x or higher, it will still run up to macOS 10.14 Mojave (except for the use of Quicken's built in auto File backup, which is not compatible with the new APFS drive format). 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• suren1934
    suren1934 Member ✭✭
    I was using 24.937.100 version of Quicken 2007. However my iMac (2007 model) quit on me and therefore had to buy a new iMac which does not support Quicken 2007
This discussion has been closed.