Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Investments (Mac)

reconcile using share balance instead of cash value in mac version (4 Legacy Votes)

kashyapakashyapa Member
edited December 2019 in Investments (Mac)
I was using Quicken 2017 windows. Now moved to mac version. I used to reconcile using share balance and not cash value. How do I reconcile using share. balance and not cash value. Do not tell it is the only way.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• MattMatt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Reconcile Securities Along with Cash in Investment Accounts

It would be very helpful to be able to reconcile the securities within an investment account. Sometimes, I can end up with different security values because of an error on a transaction. But because it does not involve cash, I don't catch it. This would allow these to be caught relatively quickly.

• John BurgessJohn Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I’ve also wanted this for a long time. anyone else think this is a good idea? Vote for it!
  • Lyn BuddenhagenLyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    IMHO, Quicken is supposed to be a DIY application. The more we ask for, the more the app will cost.
    I reconcile to my paper statements every so often, and go hunting for what I did wrong - or what did not get translated correctly in a download. To reconcile a security I look at transactions, filtered by the security (the magnifying glass/search area), and going to the Columns icon at the bottom, I choose Shares and Share Balance (usually getting rid of Amount and Cash Balance, since you can change back at any time). I do hope this helps you, Matt.
  • MattMatt Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I would completely disagree with this being a DIY app. If that was the case, it would have user programmable capability. This app is meant to be easy to use with a lot of functionality built in.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could consider a proper reconciliation of an account that doesn't look at all possible elements of value in that account. This would mean that it includes securities for an investment account. You typically have very little, if any, cash in these accounts. Yet that is all you are looking at when reconciling. By not reviewing securities transactions and balances, you are turning the reconciliation process into a completely manual approach, which defeats the entire purpose of using finance software.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I miss some transactions too, even after over 25 yrs of using Quicken, I have gotten good at eventually catching them...but I agree, this would be a very useful and appropriate feature.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello kashyapa,

Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community to post your question.

Unfortunately, the ability to reconcile using the share balance is unavailable at this time.

I have gone ahead and changed this thread to an Idea so that others may vote on this feature.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • cjl06cjl06 Member
    Thanks for putting this to a vote. I have recently converted from windows to mac version and was really thrown by the "0" balance when reconciling. I have added my vote.