How to create a report for a fixed date?

I'm attempting to make a report for a specific date, like the accounts summary, but with custom accounts and categories, but I can't figure out how. For example, I want a snapshot as of 12/31 for certain years. I can't customize the built-in Accounts Summary report either. I would appreciate any hints for how to accomplish this. In older versions of quicken, we could make a report for a specific date. Now all the choices give me a date range, which is not what I want. I'm using the latest version for Mac (5.13.2).
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You are correct that Accounts Summary is not a real report that can be customized. Accounts Summary is basically a Balance Sheet report, and Quicken Mac still doesn't have a Balance Sheet report.

If you want to see all your accounts, the Net Worth Over Time report can get you reasonably close -- as long as you can live with month-ending dates. Select this report, customize the date range to be just a month, like October 2016 to October 2016, and you'll get a report of your account balances as of the end of that month.

If you need to see a report of your holdings on some date other than the last day of the month, it gets trickier.

If you're looking to see just your Investments as of past dates, that's something you can accomplish. Click Investing in the left sidebar, Set the "Price and holdings as of" date on the right side of the screen to the date you want, and your portfolio will show what you held as of that date. Set your filters under the graph to Portfolio Value and Group by Account, and you can print a report showing the value of your investment accounts as of the date you set.

But if you want your non-investment accounts, the only thing I can think to do is a very awkward work-around. Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution.
    • Create Summary Report
    • Rows=Category
    • Columns=Account
    • Continue to Customize
    • Set date Range to All Dates
    • Then change the ending date to the date you want
    • Click Advanced
    • Click Cash Flow, Include All Transfers, and Include Adjustments
    The resulting report will have detail by category, but you can ignore that; all you want are the account totals at the bottom. These are your account totals as of the ending date you specified. Its not pretty to look at or print, but it does get the values you want. If you need to print a report, you'll probably want to export this to a spreadsheet so you can delete all the category detail and just capture the account totals. (In Excel or Numbers you can use the Transpose feature to turn columns into rows, which is probably the format you'd want.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You are correct that Accounts Summary is not a real report that can be customized. Accounts Summary is basically a Balance Sheet report, and Quicken Mac still doesn't have a Balance Sheet report.

If you want to see all your accounts, the Net Worth Over Time report can get you reasonably close -- as long as you can live with month-ending dates. Select this report, customize the date range to be just a month, like October 2016 to October 2016, and you'll get a report of your account balances as of the end of that month.

If you need to see a report of your holdings on some date other than the last day of the month, it gets trickier.

If you're looking to see just your Investments as of past dates, that's something you can accomplish. Click Investing in the left sidebar, Set the "Price and holdings as of" date on the right side of the screen to the date you want, and your portfolio will show what you held as of that date. Set your filters under the graph to Portfolio Value and Group by Account, and you can print a report showing the value of your investment accounts as of the date you set.

But if you want your non-investment accounts, the only thing I can think to do is a very awkward work-around. Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution.
    • Create Summary Report
    • Rows=Category
    • Columns=Account
    • Continue to Customize
    • Set date Range to All Dates
    • Then change the ending date to the date you want
    • Click Advanced
    • Click Cash Flow, Include All Transfers, and Include Adjustments
    The resulting report will have detail by category, but you can ignore that; all you want are the account totals at the bottom. These are your account totals as of the ending date you specified. Its not pretty to look at or print, but it does get the values you want. If you need to print a report, you'll probably want to export this to a spreadsheet so you can delete all the category detail and just capture the account totals. (In Excel or Numbers you can use the Transpose feature to turn columns into rows, which is probably the format you'd want.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to BALANCE SHEET (aka Net Worth, Accts Summary).

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.