Shares do not display in INVESTING tab after exchanging shares between accounts

Norton LifeLock INC recently took over SYMANTEC INC and I need to transfer/exchange shares from Symantec to Norton. I used "Shares transferred between accounts" to move the shares to NORTON. Although total value of transferred shares shows in the ACCOUNT list for Norton, (and all 98 shares show in the right window) when I go to the INVEST VIEW, nothing shows for NORTON other that the Quote/Price . NO shares show in the account, although the are 98 shares there. I an using the Canadian version of Quicken 2019 in Windows 10.
Any suggestions on how to make the shares show in INVEST view?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you Customized the Portfolio view (CTRL-U) to show those securities?
    OPTIONS, Customize Current View, Securities and then CHECK the new security.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bruce Bowman
    Bruce Bowman Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did add Norton to the list - It is displayed BUT with NO shares. When shares are transferred to another account, for some reason the security name still remains as the source account (Symantec), and thus shares do NOT display in Investing view... However, in the Index listing of accounts, the TOTAL value of the shares is properly displayed. I was on a chat with Quicken... they've referred it to their programmers.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a separate account in Quicken for each security? Transferring shares from one account to another does not change the security, it just moves the shares.

Are you referring to the Nov 4 2019 acquisition of Symantec's Enterprise Security business by Broadcom? Symantec kept its consumer business and rebranded it as Norton LifeLock, changing the ticker to NLOK
    https://www.crn.com/news/security/done-deal-10-7-billion-broadcom-symantec-enterprise-acquisition-closes

Other than the corportate name and ticker change, I'm not sure what the impact was on Symantec shareholders.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you created another Account in Quicken.  Why?  Or did you?  Typically a stock for stock tax free acquisition is handled entirely inside the existing Account.  Have you customized Portfolio View to include the new Account?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    . I used "Shares transferred between accounts" to move the shares to NORTON.  I am using the Canadian version of Quicken 2019 in Windows 10.

HUH - unless you transferred in the real world, from one brokerage to another - this was the wrong choice... as stated -
    You should merely change the "stock" within whatever account you have for your brokerage...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears you can enter this in Quicken as a Corporate Acquisition with 1 share of the new company NLOK replacing each share of Symantec that you held on the date the deal closed. Symantec issued a special dividend of $12.00 per share as part of the deal. 

-- Consult your tax advisor --
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.