Cloud Sync not completing and gets stuck on downloading transaction (edited for readability)

Options
2»

Comments

• vsorgi
    vsorgi Member ✭✭
    Options
    Pac626, followed your instructions and it worked! Thanks for saving me from wasting half a day with Support.

Vince
  • rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Anja,
    The test file synced.
    Mark
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had this problem too.  The initial cloud sync was hanging up, and Windows reported Quicken was not responding.  The computer certainly appeared to be locked.  However, Task Manager indicated Quicken was still alive - every few seconds, the network traffic would twitch and the Q memory usage was changing a little (+- 5-10%).

I suggest leaving your computer alone - don't even touch the mouse or keyboard - for a couple hours.  I did that, and when I returned I found that the Quicken cloud sync had come back to life on its own and run to a normal completion.  Since then, update syncs have run in a minute or so.  

I suspect, but cannot prove, that this is due to have a large number of investment transactions in my QDF file.  It goes back to a slow sync when I've made extensive changes to an investment account, like a number of purchases or sales.  Other investment transactions such as receiving dividends or single purchases/sales don't seem to trigger this.  When that happens, it's like the initial time - one ultra-slow sync, and after that it syncs further updates in a minute or so.

Windows Premier subscription version, latest updates installed, running on Windows 10.

• Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Ray. I have done that on multiple occasions but no success. I have left the synch untouched to sit all day and all night and still not progress. Once I click on the synch activity window, it grays out and says quicken for windows has shut down. I have also checked task manager and it shows no activity for quicken after a certain point and then goes to not responding.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I spent a lot of time fiddling with this issue, back in November.  I can only try to help you based on what was happening to me, so here goes.

After the cloud sync begins, don't touch anything on the computer - resist the temptation.  You can open Task Manager via CTRL-Shift-ESC to check if Q is having the low-level network and memory activity I mentioned, but do not do anything else.  Don't click on the Q cloud sync window or any other part of Q!  Just let Q do whatever it's going to do for an hour or two.  It will appear to be locked up with the sync window showing Transactions under the green circle, the only sign of life being the slight activity Task Manager shows.

When you click on the sync activity window, I believe Q truly locks up and dies.  Prior to that, it's comatose not dead (don't know what else to call it).  Windows and Task Manager will report Q is not responding.  In the Windows report, click on the option to return to the program, not the option to close the program.  A previous poster in this thread also experienced all that, but that person did not wait long enough for it to revive (as I understand the issue).  Unfortunately, when the forum keepers edited the thread for readability yesterday morning, that previous post disappeared.

The behavior I have described was totally repeatable for me over several days while I kept chipping away at the problem.  With full repeatability, I had the apparent lockup, low-level activity in network and memory in a long comatose state, the Win-10 report Q is not responding, and a true lockup if I clicked on Quicken once it went comatose.  If you let it stay comatose, it will eventually complete the sync.

If you let it run for two hours and it still isn't doing anything, then I guess you're outside of my experience and I'm out of suggestions.

As I mentioned above, I believe this is linked to investment transactions (common stock, mutual funds, incentive stock options, IRAs).  I have investment records in my QDF file going back to the mid-1990s.  When I only attempted to sync my banking accounts, without investments, I had no issues at all.  That initial sync only took a minute.  If you are not trying to sync including a number of investments then my experience probably does not fit your issues.

To Quicken moderator - I'd be glad to discuss this over the phone with your support people, sharing as many details as possible.
  • rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Anja, It seems like there's a lot of anecdotal solutions here, but I still don't see an official fix from Quicken. This is obviously a know issue as there are so many people experiencing this it. I'd like to get this resolved; otherwise I think I'm going to request a refund for my upgrade.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    rpvme said:
    Hello Anja, It seems like there's a lot of anecdotal solutions here, but I still don't see an official fix from Quicken. This is obviously a know issue as there are so many people experiencing this it. I'd like to get this resolved; otherwise I think I'm going to request a refund for my upgrade.
    Thank you for trying all of the above steps provided and letting me know the results, although I apologize that the issue has continued.

At this point, I would recommend contacting Quicken Support for advanced troubleshooting steps and a review of the logs files to determine the cause of the freezing.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well I followed Ray's advice (see above). It took quite a while, but was ultimately successful in syncing the file. Thank you Ray for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.