How can I convert a Quicken 2007 file with the resource fork missing?

I am trying to convert a Quicken 2007 for Mac file so I can use it in the latest Quicken for Mac. However, the conversion fails apparently because the resource fork is missing from the 2007 file. It apparently got lost because I moved it around. Now, how can I restore the resource fork so I can convert it? The data is fine, because I can still open the file in Quicken 2007 for Mac by opening the package and double-clicking the Data File. All I want to happen is transfer this data to the latest Quicken, but this resource fork issue gets in the way. Should I copy the resource fork of another dummy file to this one?

Any help or suggestion is welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Takuo Yasuda

Comments

• silentstar
    silentstar Member
    I just extracted the Data File from the 2007 package and tried to import that into Quicken for Mac 5.14.3. It worked! I will check and see if everything I need has been transferred.

Takuo Yasuda
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Can you do "Save A Copy" in Quicken 2007? This should create an entirely new, complete file.

I actually didn't think the resource fork would be necessary for importing into Quicken 2020. What message do you get when you try to import your file?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • silentstar
    silentstar Member
    I get "Could not import “XXX.qdfm”/The resource fork is missing.

If you copied this file from another computer, try creating a .zip archive of the original file and copying the .zip file instead. After copying the .zip file to this computer, you can unzip the original file by double-clicking the .zip file."

Takuo Yasuda
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are talking about using the Finder to manage copies of the date file. What @jacobs suggests is NOT creating a copy using the Finder but rather using File > Save a copy menu option within Quicken.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.