QWin R27.24 Investing Dashboard shows a positive balance in a long-empty Employee Stock Option acct.

Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
I have an Employee Stock Option account in Quicken which has had a zero balance since 2012, and the last of the options expired underwater in 2015. 

The new Investing Dashboard shows that I have a large share balance in that account, valued at the current market price. Of course this causes my total to be off if I include that account in the selections.

The number of shares does not correspond to anything obvious. It is considerably less than the total shares granted or vested.

I know I can simply de-select that account, but it is disconcerting that the Dashboard is showing the wrong balance. Any suggestions on how to better understand this issue?  
QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the same thing in my Dashboard with 2 different Employee Stock Option accounts.  All grants have long ago either been exercised or expired (one back in 2010 and another back in 2015).  But I did notice that the two accounts are ones that I've never been able to close because Quicken says I still have securities balances in them (which is not true).  I have several other Employee Stock Option accounts, also with all grants either exercised or expired (all prior to 2015), but I was able to close those accounts and they do not show up Dashboard.  So, it appears to me that the reason for these 2 showing up in the Dashboard goes back to the reason why I've not been able to close those accounts.
    I customized the Dashboard to de-select those 2 accounts and they no longer show up.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Lou Meyer
    Lou Meyer Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue here. Except mine is showing positions that were part of an old 401k that has long been rolled over into IRA. Last update on positionshows a date in 2009. Also the same positions show under different accounts when filtering for single account.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for sharing the details of this issue, although I apologize for any frustration experienced.

I would like to have this behavior investigated further by our Development and Products Teams, however, based on the information provided thus far, this bug seems to occur with a very specific scenario that I am unable to replicate in my personal data file.

To investigate this matter further, would any of you be willing to share a copy of your data file, where this issue can be observed, with our Development teams?

If so, please reply here and let me know, or a sanitized copy of your data file may be submitted through the Help > Report a Problem menu.

Sanitizing a data file removes all personally identifiable information, including online banking credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

If submitted through the Report a Problem, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line and reply here once the report has been submitted.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jim_Harman
    I have sent via Report a Problem.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi @Jim_Harman,

Thanks so much!  I have received the report and opened a ticket with Development for them to investigate this matter further.

As soon as I receive an update and/or resolution on the issue, I'll be back to share.

Thanks again,

Sarah

(CTP-869)
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello All,

We've received an update on the open ticket with Development and a solution has been created for this issue, however the teams would appreciate your help with testing the fix.

If you would like to help and test the fix, please download and install the interim build available here.

Please be aware, this is a test build and so not all features/functionality may work correctly.  Once testing is completed, we highly recommend reinstalling the production version, R28.28, following the steps available here.

Please let us know how it goes and if the positive employee stock option balances are resolved in the test build.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I'm curious if this also fixes the bug where this type of account can't be Closed in Quicken because expired options are treated as current holdings despite the fact no holdings are shown in the account.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited September 2020
    This build appears to fix the original issue.

To answer @markus1957 's question, Quicken will not let me close the account.

But the account Holdings still show the shares from one grant from 2001 which were never exercised. They have a market value of zero (the options are under water). In the grant transaction, the expiration date is grayed out and says N/A  so I would guess that I did not set an expiration date when I set up the grant (my error). Since as far as Quicken is concerned this grant has not expired, I think it is correct. Because the expiration date is grayed out, it appears there is no way to correct this short of deleting and re-entering the grant.

Also - the bug(?) discussed here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880517/investing-dashboard-doesnt-recognize-money-market-account

and in this Idea
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880555/add-ability-to-include-bank-held-money-market-investments-to-dashboard-view

where the Dashboard does not include the cash balance of non-investing type accounts where the account intent has been set to Investing has NOT been fixed in this build. This is particularly confusing because the Accounts bar and the Dashboard Accounts dropdown do include these accounts but the Dashboard and the Account bar balances do not agree.