"Other" slice of Investing Dashboard Portfolio by Security chart includes large holding

Options
Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Investing (Windows)
If more than 11 securities are selected, the Portfolio by Security chart shows 10 of them individually and lumps the remaining securities into an "Other" slice. 

In my case, this causes my largest holding to move into the "Other" category.

It is not clear what criterion (late in the alphabet? random?) Quicken is using  to assign securities to "Other" but the chart would be much more useful if it assigned slices to the largest holdings and put the smaller ones into "Other."
QWin Premier subscription

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe this is what you are saying but the “other” slice is shown in the graph with the same color as the largest holding making it look like one thing but when you hover over the slice you will see both separately in the text.  Very bad design.  
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It appears that if I sort the holdings by value largest to smallest, the 10 individual slices are holdings 2-11 and the "Other" wedge is my largest holding plus numbers 12 and higher. 

This is clearly a bug.

This is the same problem that was reported over a year ago on the Allocation by Security chart on the Investing > Allocations page.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853548/bug-investing-allocation-by-security-chart-misclassifying-security-as-other

Fixing this would kill 2 birds with one stone!
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agreed that it looks that way but if you hover over the large slice don’t you actually see two (both the same color)?   What I see is my largest holding AND the “other” segment. 
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @bmciance,

No, I see another slice with the same light blue color but it is not adjacent to the large "Other" slice. My Other slice is 33% of the total and the dollars add up to my largest holding plus my 11th largest and smaller holdings. My largest holding does not get a slice of its own.

In Edit > Preferences > Colors I am using the default theme  for Graphs and Charts.

Perhaps a custom Quicken color scheme would cause the issue you are seeing. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    So here's the really weird thing: I experimented with the color schemes and edited my security names as suggested by @Studpup here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877365/investing-dashboard-truncates-security-names-making-them-ambiguous

and now the largest holding has its own slice, both on the Dashboard and on the Allocations page. This must have forced some internal re-computation, so problem solved!
This discussion has been closed.